iPhone 6s blown speaker?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Itsedstech, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

Can you guys do me a favor and turn your system sound all the way up (notifications, typing, alarm, etc.) and then send a text message and listen to see if the stock "text sent" and "text received" tone is distorted or crackles badly at the end, in a text/imessage thread. thanks guys! mine sounds like a blown speaker. everywhere else it sounds fine.

2. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

3. Itsedstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

i finally had the perfect iPhone with no screen problems, scratches out the box, etc. and now this happens :mad:

4. cwc_ macrumors newbie

I think mine was okay on the first few days(got it on the 25th) and then today I notice there's a little craking sound whenever you receive a text or notifications with vibration, I'm not sure if its cause I updated to IOS9.02 thats causing it. Is my case the same as what you're experiencing?

5. Itsedstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeahs it happens when I receive or send a text. I wonder if a restore would do anything.

6. cwc_ macrumors newbie

Or maybe we can just wait till they release the next version of IOS and then see if it still there, yea it made me really anxious too cause it all worked well since I got it and then I updated it thats when It started to making those funny sound

7. GreenFrog macrumors member

Yes, I've had this issue since day 1. It's clearly a hardware problem. Like you, there's a crackle sound at the end of the text sent and received sound effect.

I have a 6s 64 gb.

It doesn't bother me too much.

8. Itsedstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Glad to see I'm not alone. I believe I had it on one of my 6's

9. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

my speaker/sound issue is when two tones happen at the same time, it's a very ugly cracking sound.

10. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

Try putting someone on speaker on any VOIP app. I am having the same problem on my 6s plus. I have an appointment with Apple on Friday. Let's see what do they say about it.

11. U1cracka macrumors member

I have an appointment Saturday for some of the same issues hope they have a replacement on hand.

12. Itsedstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

let me know what they do for you guys.

13. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

Mine is rose gold 64gb I doubt that they will have a replacement for that. Moreover I put a $40 screen protector on my phone as well :/

14. thexhangman macrumors newbie

Skype have patched their app and the distortion issue has been resolved, that would suggest it's a software issue, over hardware. Just seen Hangouts and FB Messenger to do the same.

15. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

Yes it looks like a software issue. If you play Opening ringtone on the phone you have to focus on the high notes and you can hear the same blown speaker sound.

16. Itsedstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to lean toward software too. I bought another 6s and it does the same. The weird thing is they don't do it on initial boot if you do a power off and then power on.

17. atomx66 macrumors newbie

atomx66

Same problem here: I went to the Apple store and exchanged it, and the replacement has the same issue. My wife has the same phone (128gb) in a different color and the problem does not exist with hers. Her max volume is a lot lower than mine. At this point, I'm just making sure not to max out my volume, and hope that Apple releases a software fix. The tones sound normal if you set the volume around 50%.

18. RvXtm macrumors member

RvXtm

Yep, there is a volume issue, with full volume there is a slight distortion on the send/receive message sound. one step lower and the distortion is gone.
    No issue with music or ringtone.

19. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

i went to apple store and they ordered a replacement so after reading your comment i think i should stick to my current one and dont go for the replacement.

20. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

if you put Opening ringtone you can feel the high notes blown.

21. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I think I noticed this a couple of times as well, but there doesn't seem to be a direct correlation between volume and distortion. In other words, I've noticed some things with a higher volume that don't distort, while the couple of times I heard it, it wasn't abnormally loud at all. I can't remember which app(s) I was in when I heard it, but it admittedly sounded like a blown speaker. However, the speaker is working fine otherwise, so yeah, it seems to be software related.

22. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

yesterday, when I was calling around to see what iPhones were left at Apple stores around SoCal, they were mostly all the rose gold colours.

even online, they're backed up to at least two weeks out.

23. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

they didnt have the replacement. they ordered one for me. and now after ordering Skype updated their app which fixed the speaker blown issue. this made me realize that its a software problem so i am in a fix whether i should go for the replacement or stick with the current one

24. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

plus, you've got that screen protector. kind of the reason I'm a bit too timid to let mine go with the tempered glass and body skin I have on it.

25. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

yeah. i am just confused what to do.