Iphone 6s camera rated lower than iphone 6 by DXO

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. White, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Mr. White macrumors newbie

Mr. White

Hello everyone,

Just seen that DXOmark.com posted a test of iphone 6s camera:
    http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Apple-iPhone-6s-review-Solid-and-compelling-performance

Results are not impressive as it was rated lower than previous model. Yes, I know it still takes very good photos, it's capable (I owe 6s Plus myself) but it's kind a disappointing when you pay top dollar and not get top performance. Apple used to be a leader in this department for years and now it looks like it's lagging behind others. Well, I guess that what happens when you focus on profits too much. What do you guys think?

2. I7guy macrumors G5

I've participated in the dxo debate for the last 5 years on both POTN and dpreview since i bought my first canon the t2i. tHeir reviews don't really translate to real world results(are they owned by Amazon now?) I'm very happy with the real world results from my 6s.

3. Mr. White thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. White

That's probably a topic for a separate debate - how one should read and draw conclusions from DXO's tests. They just measure different parameters of sensor and lens combo (for smartphones) and share their results. Last year when they came up with iphone 6 plus results people were quoting them etc.

And on top of that, signals that new iphones cameras don't really improve much over last year's iterations are coming from many other sources and users in general as well. As I said, it's still very solid performer, it's just it used to be a benchmark for the segment and it isn't any more.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Oh, you mean the company that is trying to sell you a $600 (for a limited time!) add-on to your iPhone that they claim allows you to take better pictures? that's the first thing that popped up when I went to your link (see attached image).

Beware reviews from any entities with a direct financial stake in the issue.

Attached Files:

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Apple smartphone cameras were only really a benchmark from the iPhone 4 to around the 5S. Samsung have been the benchmark for a year or two now so far as I'm concerned.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

As a photographer the current crop of Samsung phones tend to blow out highlights and render certain colors inaccurately. This can be seen in some of the recent comparisons. Apple seems to meter better and have truer color.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

All smartphones have pros & cons, and all smartphone camera modules have pros & cons too. The iPhone camera was best in its 5S guise in my opinion and since then the top of the line Samsung offerings have had better overall cameras. It's all subjective at this 'point and shoot' level I guess. I'm just not wowed by the iPhone camera anymore, although it's still very decent. The watercolour effect since the iPhone 6 with its excessive noise reduction characteristics isn't very appealing, but the camera excels at macro which is my main use for it.

8. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

10. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

That was the Nexus 6P that just introduced this month.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Ah, the ugly one.:)

12. asleep, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

the samsung galaxy s6 edge I test used for a month blows the 6S away camera wise. If iOS was possible on a Samsung, I would be long gone by now.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

My own personal opinion stated again is I would rather have better metering and truer color rendition. Thus i would give Apple the nod here. Most pro photographers, the ones that make their money on photography don't bother with such nonsense...they have the portfolio to show that some of these comparos mean little. I've been there since 2010.

15. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Low light on the 6S is worse than the 6 so the placement makes sense.

16. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

From the article
    http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Appl...ng-performance/Apple-iPhone-6s-vs-competition

17. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Disappointing from Apple. The sensor and lens system has had no improvements since the iPhone 5s. They still use the same sensor size as the 5s (now with smaller pixels), still the same f/2.2 aperture, still the same lens... No improvements whatsoever, only noticeably stronger noise reduction. And yeah, worse low light performance than iPhone 6 (Plus)...

18. Mr. White thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr. White

Same here however competition is sailing away in all other aspects.

You must read Ken Rockwell a lot ;)

Most pro-photographers (people that make living of taking snaps) care about those details a lot. Sometimes 1 stop of dynamic range makes a difference between money and no money. And I think your opinion on DXO tests is a bit extreme. What do they say that's wrong? That Nikons have better DR than Canons? Or that Sony produces best sensors? Or that Zeiss produces the best optics?

It's all about drawing right, balanced conclusions.

Also please note that no one in this thread said that iPhone 6s camera is bad. Majority thinks it's very good, it's just not the best anymore.

19. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I agree, that was disappointing. I hate to say it, but they're saving the larger aperture for future iPhones.

Hopefully they blow us away with the rumored two rear cameras in the iPhone 7.

20. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

It seems odd that you just joined Macrumors today just to start this thread.

21. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

DxO... LMAO... Means absolutely nothing. This place is busy trying to sale stuff not review it...

That said the iPhone 6s camera did not improve a whole lot from the iPhone 6, but the iPhone 6 already had a great camera ...

22. Altis macrumors 68020

I just wish they'd correct better for lens distortion and reduce the extremely aggressive noise-reduction.

It turns a lot of photos into water paintings and ruins the details, even in decently-lit outdoor photos.

Seems to be a software issue since it affects the 6 and 6S.

23. I7guy macrumors G5

As a point to this, yes, these details matter, however, if DXO were the only measurement by which a person should gauge a camera, Canon would be out of business as far as their photography division. It's the end result that matters more than the measurements. Pixel peepers will go back and forth on every detail. But the finished product doesn't always give away the quality of the metrics that DXO reports. And yes, Ken Rockwell is part of the herd on the internet on the subject of photography. :eek:

24. teddat macrumors member

teddat

Review was for a 6s without OIS. Wouldn't the 6s Plus do better with OIS? esp with sharpness/ slightly better low light performance.

25. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The Apple Upgrade Oath:

We will make a phone with some upgrades.
    Some of those upgrades will be undeniable.
    Some will be nominal.
    Some may not be upgrades at all, but will feeeeel like upgrades, because of other more concrete upgrades, and fancier names.
    Things that are the same will be described as reliable.
    Things that are upgraded, regardless of the true differences, will be described as revolutionary.
    You will buy one.