Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
The camera to bring Apple back to the top will be revealed on the iphone 7.

i would love to see that, but remember: apple is obsessed with thinness and the iphone 7 needs to be even more thinner and how should that work out with a better camera? they even failed to create a substantial better camera with the 6/ 6s.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Seems to falling behind the current crop of smartphone cameras

Scores.jpg

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Appl...ng-performance/Apple-iPhone-6s-vs-competition

82 is lower than 82 which is higher than 82? That's some sound analysis right there.

Reactions: Cayden

Rackness01

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
I know we are splitting hairs here but I am coming from a Note 4 and One of the major reasons for making the switch was for the camera.

In my personal use of the two products it is not even close. Under ideal conditions the note 4 takes a comparable quality photograph to the iPhone 6(s)+ family. Introduce any variables lighting, movement or in the event you are trying to take a picture quickly it was next to useless. I do understand that the note 5 and g6 line up upgraded to a superior sensor but I can't take this review seriously as it stands given my personal experience to the contrary.

Prior to purchasing my 6s+ I did a fair share of research and testing and I almost purchased the note5 but I felt while it did take very good pictures and its speed was greatly improved it does have a tendency to over expose pictures and produced over saturated colors that appeared less natural to my eye than images captured by the 6. Mind you I am not a professional photographer and I do not play one on tv.

I have been an android user for a long time and my only experience in the iPhone realm was with the 4 and it was very short lived, I wanted a larger screen for media consumption and android was the only game in town for more screen real estate. This time around I voted again with my wallet and I am very pleased with my decision. If the next generation of android outpaces Apple in my personal opinion guess where I will spend my money.

All this verbal diarrhea is my way of saying do your own research and make your decisions based on your research and personal likes/dislikes if you want to ever be satisfied with your purchases. Every device that comes out will have numerous reviews both positive and negative each with their own bias. As with most things in life they are only a piece of the big picture. If your satisfaction in your device ebbs and flows with the review of the week you will never enjoy what you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: skiltrip

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Oh, you mean the company that is trying to sell you a $600 (for a limited time!) add-on to your iPhone that they claim allows you to take better pictures? that's the first thing that popped up when I went to your link (see attached image).
We've had quite a few threadposts about how the iPhone 6s starts being "impressionistic" in "low" light situations.

Here's a review of the DXO one, that includes comparison shots to a Sony RX100 and an iphone 6.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/dxo-one/dxo-one-field-test-part-i.htm
The DXO one shows a clear improvement.

Besides the DXoMark is rated on the "real camera" scale, not the "mobile camera" scale. And compared to real cameras (especially 135 format) that are just coming out, it does comparatively poorly. I do think that there's a problem in trying to use Super RAW plus to shoot "sports,", so perhaps that interpretation should be discounted.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
The camera to bring Apple back to the top will be revealed on the iphone 7. Apple knew that they're "tied" for the lead right now and Android hasn't clearly surpassed it. They are willing to take a little bit of heat for a year and say "we're tied for the best." And then go for the win next year with the 7.

DXo, I will say, does not seem to look at the actual pictures at all. I never understood why Sony's cameras are considered good. They're absolutely not top tier cameras. Have you ever looked at the pics produced?

Samsung, if you actually look at the pictures, are the best, right up there with the iphone. Maybe LG G4. That's it. It's a 3 horse race and choosing a smartphone for people whom camera quality is paramount is a rather easy decision.

But I will say that DXo seems to be consistent. When Apple announced just a 12 megapixel sensor upgrade and nothing else, I figured that the camera would perform identically. So receiving the same score seems fine to me. There's no reason to expect the 6s camera to improve from the 6 camera. It's like 1-2% better max, and any benefits are from software processing tweaks that are firmly in the area of personal preference.
You obviously don't know much about photography then!
Nikon sensors are made by Sony. Sony has the best sensors a few years running with the best dynamic range.
Unfortunately most pros are invested in Canikon so the pics from Sony cameras are not overly representative of what they are capable of. And their push on mirrorless and lack of some critical lenses isn't going to convert sports and wildlife shooters anytime soon!
But it's an absolutely brilliant for studio and landscape type shooting!

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I would've liked to have seen more improvements in the camera, but in terms of both photo and video quality, I think the 6S is the most well-rounded iPhone camera yet. The video quality and stabilization in particular (both OIS & digital) is right up there with the best you can find in a smartphone right now.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This is no surprise. Expected results when a review site doesn't give in to the Apple bias that we all know exist. Even iVerge admitted to being Apple biased and admitted that it exists in the industry. I've pointed this out before. When the iPhone had the best camera, nobody hesitated to say so. Now that the competition has so clearly surpassed the iPhone camera, the discussion from these same websites is something like, "oh they're all great cameras now, too close too call." Pathetic. Good on you DXO.
+1 Exactly! Glad I am not the only one who noticed this.

This is why I miss certain reviewers such as Eldar and his Mobile-Review Team, those guys would grill a company and point it out when they begin doing a poor job vs. competition.

Their reviews were so in-depth, unbiased and raw, they ensured they gave you the complete picture with no compromise.

They still do reviews but only in Russian, if I'm not mistaken.

DxOMark will pay the price for telling the truth and being brutaly honest, those who are usually do. Good on them indeed. :)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

This is why I miss certain reviewers such as Eldar and his Mobile-Review Team, those guys would grill a company and point it out when they begin doing a poor job vs. competition.

Their reviews were so in-depth, unbiased and raw, they ensured they gave you the complete picture with no compromise.

DxOMark will pay the price for telling the truth and being brutaly honest, those who are usually do. Good on them indeed. :)
And I guess good on those who state their opinions on such topics. In-depth, unbiased and raw, don't always point to useful. But this being a discussion forum, we discuss and discuss. :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

We know at least they are un biased and truthful. They have the lab results to back up their findings.

If people disagree with DxO then they are free to post their own independent lab findings.

Reactions: Tsepz

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
We know at least they are un biased and truthful. They have the lab results to back up their findings.

If people disagree with DxO then they are free to post their own independent lab findings.

Or those that "believe" in it can still believe in it, and those that don't, don't have to. Just because it can be measured doesn't make it useful or even accurate in the big picture.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Or those that "believe" in it can still believe in it, and those that don't, don't have to. Just because it can be measured doesn't make it useful or even accurate in the big picture.
Lol...what?
yes...you can continue to "not believe" what is obvious to everyone else. Others will continue to believe the independent fact in front us. If you don't like the findings at DxO you are free to post factual information from another independant lab.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Unfortunately they can't, so they resort to trying to make excuses, and claiming a factual review is less than what it really is :D

Had the result been in favour of the 6S, they'd be happily praising them.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Unfortunately they can't, so they resort to trying to make excuses, and claiming a factual review is less than what it really is :D

These types of results are good for Apple in the long run. They fell short this time around. So now the iPhone 7 will no doubt have a killer camera and take the top spot. So we fans and consumer benefit :)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Or maybe some people, just understand the bigger picture. :D Just saying'

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Or maybe some people, just understand the bigger picture. :D Just saying'
You're right some of us do see the bigger picture. Apple fell short this time around. But I am sure they will come out with a better camera for the iphone 7 and not just add more MP. So the bigger picture? Failure leads to better products and features.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You're right some of us do see the bigger picture. Apple fell short this time around. But I am sure they will come out with a better camera for the iphone 7 and not just add more MP. So the bigger picture? Failure leads to better products and features.

That isn't of any benefit to current owners though is it? It's like telling a 6+ owner not to worry because the 6S+ has 2GB of RAM, or someone who has just bought a new automobile that the next version will be better.

Reactions: Tsepz and jamezr

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That isn't of any benefit to current owners though is it? It's like telling a 6+ owner not to worry because the 6S+ has 2GB of RAM, or someone who has just bought a new automobile that the next version will be better.
Each camera has it's strengths and weaknessness. Get the samsung in the wrong situation and it falls quite short of the 6s camera. The reverse is true, which is why this is not black and white no matter how much might want it to be. It's like the idiocy with the geekbench scores and showing the tmsc chip is so much better. Sure, you could have hung your hat on that one and I'm fairly sure they thought their methodology was bullet-proof...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Each camera has it's strengths and weaknessness. Get the samsung in the wrong situation and it falls quite short of the 6s camera. The reverse is true, which is why this is not black and white no matter how much might want it to be. It's like the idiocy with the geekbench scores and showing the tmsc chip is so much better. Sure, you could have hung your hat on that one and I'm fairly sure they thought their methodology was bullet-proof...

I have no real issues with the iPhone camera. It's ok, it does the job I need it to do. I just don't feel that it's on a par with some of the very best the competition have to offer, and the excessive noise reduction can be a pain.

I do accept that every smartphone camera module has its strengths and weakness though. The iPhone wins some categories for sure, but folk are going to run into situations where the camera delivers a sub-par photo. I found the S6 Edge Plus camera astounding to be honest, but I'm sure I would run into scenarios where it let me down. Such are the limitations of these inexpensive, tiny modules.

Reactions: Tsepz and jamezr

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
These types of results are good for Apple in the long run. They fell short this time around. So now the iPhone 7 will no doubt have a killer camera and take the top spot. So we fans and consumer benefit :)

the iphone 7 camera was decided before the iphone 5s was released... (they plan 3 years in advance). i doubt any review would make them change future hardware decisions, maybe the only exception was the 7000 series aluminum

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.