Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
skimmed through the thread and it seems like a lot of "will att version iphone work with verizon service," my question is: will the tmobile iphone version work with verizon service? (full paid at the apple store... it seems like its hit or miss and having to contact verizon to whitelist the tmo version to work with verizon?

yes, but you might have issues with getting it activated

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
skimmed through the thread and it seems like a lot of "will att version iphone work with verizon service," my question is: will the tmobile iphone version work with verizon service? (full paid at the apple store... it seems like its hit or miss and having to contact verizon to whitelist the tmo version to work with verizon?

It will work.

Reactions: predation

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
what kinds of issues???? verizon not whitelisting the phone??? can someone post some experiences with tmo phones and using it on verizon for this round of iphones?

i spoke to verizon customer service and gave them my meid off of my t-mobile iPhone 6+s unlocked
this is what they said
I do apologize, but the Device ID provided shows as not being compatible with our network: http://vz.to/1it90aS.
- Michael

Matthew, it's great that you are performing your research. We cannot guarantee service on non Verizon branded devices. We would have to try to activate the device honestly. Please let us know if there is anything else.
- Bobby

i spoke to sprint customer service and gave them my meid off of my t-mobile iPhone 6+s unlocked
this is what they said
We are unable to confirm that this is a Sprint phone, it doesn't show in our records. - Edward

i don't really want to spend the money to test this time around

the worse case scenario for Verizon is your phone will work, but you might have to use a sim card from another device

the worse case scenario for sprint is it just won't work at all

what do you base your opinion on ( faq) ???
----

answer
---
pulling verizon sim cards out of phones and putting them in the iPhone 6 last year on launch day
entering meid #s into verizons meid checker from iPhone 6 phones from last year and being rejected and 3 weeks ago being accepted on the same serial #
pulling sprint sims from a samsung s6 and iPhone 5c putting them in my non sprint iPhone and seeing i couldn't make a phone call, but everything else worked like safari
me asking Verizon and sprint if they like my meid for free for my new iPhone

Last edited:

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle
i spoke to verizon customer service and gave them my meid off of my t-mobile iPhone 6+s unlocked
this is what they said
I do apologize, but the Device ID provided shows as not being compatible with our network: http://vz.to/1it90aS.
- Michael

Matthew, it's great that you are performing your research. We cannot guarantee service on non Verizon branded devices. We would have to try to activate the device honestly. Please let us know if there is anything else.
- Bobby

i spoke to sprint customer service and have them my meid off of my t-mobile iPhone 6+s unlocked
this is what they said
We are unable to confirm that this is a Sprint phone, it doesn't show in our records. - Edward

i don't really want to spend the money to test this time around
it's odd when the T-Mo, Sprint and Verizon handsets are the same models.

it's probably them just trying to add difficulty.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I'm hoping I don't run into this when I get my T-Mo version unlocked under their guarantee.

i think your okay but you will have to probably go to the store and speak to them to get it activated

if verizon and sprint want your business they will be willing to activate service on another handset and then
pull that sim and put it in your new iPhone 6s and you will be fine.

from last year, i think its because for the first 90 days carriers only want to activate phones that were sold to them

if you have a iPhone 6 or 6 plus on sprint or verizon, then just take that sim card out and put it in your new iPhone 6s or 6s+ and it will probably work and you won't have to pay a $45 activation fee

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
what kinds of issues???? verizon not whitelisting the phone??? can someone post some experiences with tmo phones and using it on verizon for this round of iphones?
It will work as long as you have an already active Verizon SIM. However, since it isn't whitelisted, you won't be able to open up a brand new account with the T-Mobile or AT&T version, and you might have a harder time getting a replacement SIM card if you ever need it. My parents tried to get a T-Mobile iPhone 6S activated on both Sprint and Verizon Saturday and had no luck with either. Eventually they were able to get Apple to exchange their T-Mobile version for a Verizon version.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
i think your okay but you will have to probably go to the store and speak to them to get it activated

if verizon and sprint want your business they will be willing to activate service on another handset and then

from last year, i think its because for the first 90 days carriers only want to activate phones that were sold to them

if you have a iPhone 6 or 6 plus on sprint or verizon, then just take that sim card out and put it in your new iPhone 6s or 6s+ and it will probably work and you won't have to pay a $45 activation fee
Sprint is where I want to take it. as it is, my Sprint SIM didn't work nor did my Verizon. my MetroPCS works (of course). my Straight Talk works for calls but no LTE.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Sprint is where I want to take it. as it is, my Sprint SIM didn't work nor did my Verizon. my MetroPCS works (of course). my Straight Talk works for calls but no LTE.
Where did you buy the phone? It sounds like it might be locked.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
it's not. I mentioned it isn't domestically unlocked, yet . I will be having it done soon though since I have no data service at home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443477530.026105.jpg

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC

Sprint has a BYO iPhone so it makes no sense they won't allow you to bring your own iPhone 6S. It sounds to me like they just want to make a sale since you're still within your return window.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
it's not. I mentioned it isn't domestically unlocked, yet . I will be having it done soon though since I have no data service at home.

View attachment 587383

Where did you buy your iPhone? If you bought it directly from TMO or another vendor besides Apple it is locked to T-Mobile. If you bought it full priced from the Apple site or the retail store it is unlocked and you can use it with other carriers.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

Yes, it will work. I went into a VZW store a couple of months ago and it wasn't in their database because it wasn't a Verizon phone, and the guy's like "well lets try it and see if it activates". Sure enough it did. He couldn't care less where the phone came from, as long as he can get it to "take" in their system he was happy.

There used to be some issues with the discounted monthly pricing for BYOD devices that weren't originally verizon devices not applying correctly, but for iPhones I recall them getting that cleared up a couple of months ago.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Sprint has a BYO iPhone so it makes no sense they won't allow you to bring your own iPhone 6S. It sounds to me like they just want to make a sale since you're still within your return window.
^
ever since I've been with Sprint since '99. to this day, they'll still BS me about why I'm not allowed to obtain my MSL number when I'm allowed to have it. it's always been a matter of getting the right person on the phone.

oh, and I'll only been mentioning that I bought it straight out.

Where did you buy your iPhone? If you bought it directly from TMO or another vendor besides Apple it is locked to T-Mobile. If you bought it full priced from the Apple site or the retail store it is unlocked and you can use it with other carriers.
^
yes, directly from T-Mo. I was going off the info at this site...

http://www.techwalls.com/iphone-6s-plus-models-differences/

when T-Mo stated they would unlock it to allow me to use on Sprint should I not have any service in my area and decide to cancel, would it not be the same as buying one of their unlocked versions at full price? I had already confirmed with Sprint there wouldn't be any issues with the new 's' from T-Mo as long as it's unlocked. I still have my S6 edge with Sprint which is what I want to replace. but I know how all these customer reps will talk whatever BS they think they know.

since I can get my money back on this handset anyway, I can always return it and buy one at full price from T-Mo.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009

oh yeah!! i saw this with mine!!!! go do a restore in iTunes and i bet you will get that same message i got!!

"congratulations your iPhone is now unlocked"!!!

its like the iPhone is locked inside the box and it needs iTunes to unlock it fully.

i have no proof that this is the case, but the message iTunes gave me freaked me out

( i was too busy syncing apps from my library to insert different sim cards to see if it works )

please do this tallazzPilipino and report back

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
oh yeah!! i saw this with mine!!!! go do a restore in iTunes and i bet you will get that same message i got!!

its like the iPhone is locked inside the box and it needs iTunes to unlock it fully.

i have no proof that this is the case, but the message iTunes gave me freaked me out

( i was too busy syncing apps from my library to insert different sim cards to see if it works )

I'll definitely report back with what happens.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My parents had the same issue over the weekend. The iPhone 6S is specifically listed as a BYO device on Sprint's website. 2 different Sprint stores (one corporate, one independent) refused to give them a SIM card and parroted the outdated line that GSM phones won't work on a CDMA network.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

There is no need to do that to unlock a phone that is sold directly by Apple for full price. The OP purchased the phone using T-Mobile's try-out program. They are locked until the phone is paid off.

Reactions: Coleman2010

passingapple

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012

hmm, I see, that "first 90 days" thing actually makes sense. That would explain why KPOM's parents couldn't make their T-mobile iphone to work with Verizon/Sprint and had to exchange it.

So perhaps if I had iphone 6 (either T-mobile or AT&T) now, I could call Verizon/Sprint and they would give me their sim card if I tell them I want to sign up for their service ....however not according to what aneftp wrote in this thread (page 20). He said similar trouble of trying to use non-verizon iphone 6 with verizon afterwards.

My take of this topic is if you want to use your AT&T/T-mobile iphone 6s with Verizon/Sprint, you either have to have pre-existing account with a sim card already or get a cheapest phone they offer to open up a pre-paid account with them and use that sim card on your iphone. Even then it's not 100% since if you call they may tell your iphone won't work, so basically you just use your iphone with it without calling them. ...Or if you can avoid Verizon/Sprint service, just avoid them since they give you such hard time with this thing. It's not like their plan/pre-paid plan is any better/cheaper than At&T/T-mobile.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
^
ever since I've been with Sprint since '99. to this day, they'll still BS me about why I'm not allowed to obtain my MSL number when I'm allowed to have it. it's always been a matter of getting the right person on the phone.

oh, and I'll only been mentioning that I bought it straight out.

^
yes, directly from T-Mo. I was going off the info at this site...

http://www.techwalls.com/iphone-6s-plus-models-differences/

when T-Mo stated they would unlock it to allow me to use on Sprint should I not have any service in my area and decide to cancel, would it not be the same as buying one of their unlocked versions at full price? I had already confirmed with Sprint there wouldn't be any issues with the new 's' from T-Mo as long as it's unlocked. I still have my S6 edge with Sprint which is what I want to replace. but I know how all these customer reps will talk whatever BS they think they know.

since I can get my money back on this handset anyway, I can always return it and buy one at full price from T-Mo.

If you bought it full priced from TMO then it is locked to TMO. You have to request an unlock from them. They have two types of unlocks. Travel unlocks and permanent. Make sure you request a full permanent unlock.

If I were you I would return it to TMO and buy it from the Apple store so you know straight out of the box it is unlocked.

iTunes is not unlocking it. It's just giving you a confirmation message it is unlocked after going through the activation steps. I opened my 6S Plus, pulled the Verizon SIM and activated it with my TMO SIM and it worked unlocked straight away without connecting it to iTunes. I've since swapped in TMO, Verizon and AT&T SIMs. All work fine.

My parents had the same issue over the weekend. The iPhone 6S is specifically listed as a BYO device on Sprint's website. 2 different Sprint stores (one corporate, one independent) refused to give them a SIM card and parroted the outdated line that GSM phones won't work on a CDMA network.

Did they purchase the iPhone full price from Apple? Or from a 3rd party retailer or carrier store. Are you sure it is unlocked? If it is locked to another carrier that maybe the issue and the Sprint reps are mistaking the problem.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
If you bought it full priced from TMO then it is locked to TMO. You have to request an unlock from them. They have two types of unlocks. Travel unlocks and permanent. Make sure you request a full permanent unlock.

If I were you I would return it to TMO and buy it from the Apple store so you know straight out of the box it is unlocked.

iTunes is not unlocking it. It's just giving you a confirmation message it is unlocked after going through the activation steps. I opened my 6S Plus, pulled the Verizon SIM and activated it with my TMO SIM and it worked unlocked straight away without connecting it to iTunes. I've since swapped in TMO, Verizon and AT&T SIMs. All work fine.

Did they purchase the iPhone full price from Apple? Or from a 3rd party retailer or carrier store. Are you sure it is unlocked? If it is locked to another carrier that maybe the issue and the Sprint reps are mistaking the problem.
that last quote wasn't by me. haha

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Yes, it was full price and from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.