iPhone 6s+ Screen edge blue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Farsider, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Farsider, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Hi all,

I just bought 2 Gold iPhone 6s+ and I see that the screen quality on iPhones this year is still hit and miss.

On both iPhones there is a 3mm 'blueish white' line running down the right hand side of the screen. Noticeable on a white screen - it almost looks like the screen is darker on the right hand side. I haven't seen this discussed in this forum much but as its on both iPhones I'm wondering if this is just characteristic of the displays on the iPhone 6s+

Anyone else have this on their phones?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My S+ does not exhibit what you are describing. I must have been lucky as my screen is not darker at the top either.

Excellent phone so far!

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Mine doesn't have this specific issue, and uniformity does vary with every display (none will be perfect). If it's noticeable and bothers you take it in.

(However, I do recall seeing something like this on an Apple Store demo unit, so it must be fairly common.)

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

My last two had this issue but returned it not for this issue but because the sim-free came out and wanted to get the sim-free model. This one does not have this issue. Don't like it? Simply return it and get a new one.

5. Farsider thread starter macrumors 6502

Farsider

Trouble is I went through 4 returns with my iPhone 6+ due to screen issues (backlight failure, yellow staining at the top the screen etc)

I'm not sure I've got it in me to go through all that again. I'm well within my 14 days return period. I'm just battling my conscious at the moment that's demands I get perfection whilst my rationale mind says there is no such thing.

I don't fancy my chances rolling the dice again when my 2 brand new S+ 's have the same issue....particularly when I've found recent threads where others have the same issue with 5 phones in a row. To be honest I feel like a right twat talking to Geniuses about it all.

Very conflicted.

6. Farsider thread starter macrumors 6502

Farsider

So here's something that's odd. All day in the office, I've seen this Blue stripe down the right hand side. Now I'm back at home, it's not there. The screen looks mostly uniform and something I'm quite happy with.

Could it be the fluorescent lighting in the Office making something appear that doesn't really exist???

7. abta1 macrumors 6502

What you checked it when the screen is full brightness? Sometimes when the brightness is low, you don't notice some of these artefacts.

8. Scarphac3 macrumors regular

I have that on both sides but I think I am just going to keep it, doesn't bother me that much

9. Farsider thread starter macrumors 6502

Farsider

The brightness levels was varied throughout the day and the issue was clearly visible. Now I've left office, the blue stripe is far less visible. It's as if office lighting exasperates the issue.

10. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Do it. You more than paid for it. As someone who was screwed over by a bad Apple genius bar , I say exercise your right. After the 14 days they will treat you very differently.

They sell 'perfection', you paid $650+ for this phone, why settle?

11. Mac2727 macrumors newbie

I had this issue (~3mm blue stripe down the right-hand side of the display) with my 1st iPhone 6S+ and yes it was certainly more noticeable in certain lighting. Most of the demo units in London's Apple stores seemed to have it so originally I wasn't going to return it but it really started to bug me in apps like mail and messages so I took it into the store and they showed it to a Genius who spotted it straight away and accepted the return. Got another 64Gb SG 6+ a few days later (none in stock at the time) and it doesn't have the blue stripe. Ironically my 'new' 6S+ has a more pronounced 'pressure point blemish' (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-be-addressed-in-a-hardware-revision.1922339/) but such is the returns lottery!

Personally, I the pressure point blemish doesn't bother me as much as the blue stripe as its much less noticeable down in the bottom left corner so I'm hanging onto this phone.

12. IconIc215 macrumors regular

Can someone post a pic of what this "blue strip" looks like?

13. ProMod macrumors 6502a

My 6S has this along both the left and right edges. It's only noticeable in certain lighting conditions and on certain content where white runs to the edge of the screen. My wife's 6S Plus has it as well, though to a much lesser extent.

My first 6S had uneven backlighting. It was very bright at the bottom and made a smooth gradient up to the top, where it was probably 25-30% dimmer and more "dingy". My dad's 6S is dimmer on the left side than the right. It's really a matter of picking your poison with these displays.

The funniest part about it is that my mother-in-law's cheap Motorola Android phone we bought her to use on Total Wireless has a perfectly uniform, well-calibrated display.

14. Farsider thread starter macrumors 6502

Farsider

I went to my local Apple Store today. It's a large store with many tables full of iPhone 6s Plus'

I examined 9 Pluses and all of them had this vertical blue streak on the right hand side on the screen. Some had it on the left too. 1 looked a little better than the others but they all had it. Most had other screen issues like dark corners or yellow staining. I even saw this blue streak and dark patches on half of the iPad Air 2s too. These are all demo units to convince customers to buy them!

It's just not worth swapping phones for minor screen issues. Judging from today, probability shows I'd have to swap phones at least 9 times to get one that is improved.

I think screen issues exist on the vast majority of phone - people just don't see it. No one has a perfect screen - they just don't exist.

I'm happy with my phone, it's time to get on with my life.

15. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

All LCD display cant be perfect for backlight control. Amoled display had no issue on this. So it is what it is

16. IconIc215 macrumors regular

It gets to a point where at the end of the day the amount of time spent with Apple chat/Phone calls/Genius Appointments seems crazy. I have done this in the past and said to myself this time I would not get sucked into the replacement lottery game. Actually maybe its not much of a lottery anymore as most of these screens have issues just to different extents and some more tolerable than others. It seems like as long as Apple keeps using this LCD these issues could be present. I have still yet to see what this "blue edge" looks like as maybe its not as noticeable on mine or I just don't know what I am looking for.

17. Farsider thread starter macrumors 6502

Farsider

Ever seen the yellow / blue colour shift on the display? It's like that on the right edge of the screen.

18. IconIc215 macrumors regular

I have not....maybe I shouldn't either so I don't get mad and return the phone : ) I think that is another bad thing is there are a lot of issues pointed out that no one would have realized until they read the thread. One for example is the "pressure point" on the bottom left. I feel like sometimes hanging around the boards around launch turns the experience which is supposed to be exciting to receive your new device into one that involves worrying about which issue my phone has and can I look for and tons of time wasted doing exchanges.

19. Chicki macrumors regular

Mine has it as well. I'm returning mine because everyone I talk to can't hear me properly, but I hope that my next one doesn't have this lol I'm scared though because I feel my screen issue is extremely mild compared to others I've seen here. If the talking thing wasn't an issue I'd keep this one

20. IconIc215 macrumors regular

Yea its almost like playing with fire when you start to get replacements...you just never know what you will get and could possibly be worse than what you have now. If you didn't get it on launch try and still within your 14 days try to reserve one in store and return and repurchase.

21. Farsider thread starter macrumors 6502

Farsider

Indeed, ignorance is bliss. As a photographer I have a trained eye and see display issues like this a mile off. I have expensive calibrated displays at work that really are uniform - these really are perfect.

I completely agree about the forums. I love Macrumors Forums. They are a blessing and a curse for highlighting device issues you never knew you had.

22. Chicki macrumors regular

I'm actually outside of the 14 days by a day but the person I talked to was awesome and set up the return for me. I just reserved one to repurchase. Hopefully it goes well!

Side question, this is my first iPhone, how do I get pictures to save directly to iCloud instead of my device storage? Is this possible? I know it's noob question, sorry guys lol

23. IconIc215 macrumors regular

You will back up your phone prior to returning your old one which when you restore should bring everything over. Good luck by the way...keep us posted how the new one is.

24. Chicki macrumors regular

25. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor