iPhone 6s screen scratch replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -narcan-, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -narcan- macrumors newbie

Anyone know if the Genius Bar will replace an iPhone 6s because of a scratched screen ?

Swore it's only been in my pocket yet the screen has a big scratch in it and a load of little ones.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

If the phone did not have scratches on it when you received it and now the phone does have scratches on it then will cost you $150 for a screen replacement on the iPhone 6s (Plus).

3. invisibleshoes macrumors regular

No...if it wasn't scratched out of the box then it's on you. Just saw a similar thread where the user "swore" it wasn't his/her fault. Save yourself the headache and use a screen protector. The screen isn't scratch-proof...

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Just return it and buy a new one. You are within 14 days. Don't even mention the scratches.

5. -narcan- thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, I'll just return it and get a refund then.

6. rp39 macrumors newbie

This is how you get restocking fees and shorter return periods. Hopefully they inspect the phone.

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

That is fraud and you should be banned from this site for posting that

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Aren't screen scratches considered wear and tear? If so, then wear and tear is considered normal use for a return, isn't it?

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Not when you cause the damage !

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Well I'm going to cause all the wear and tear on my phone unless I lend it to someone else, so I don't see your point. Unless the damage is caused by an intentional or malicious action, then I'm for just handing it back.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Returning a phone with light scratches isn't fraud folks. It's questionable in nature but you're not committing fraud.

I have read of a person who claimed he got "easy" scratches on his 6s plus and had the 6 plus for s full year without a scratch. So maybe there is some oleo phobic costing defect possible? Don't really know.

Either way, I'd be honest about it. Apple is usually pretty helpful IME.

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Returning a phone with scratches you caused is fraud? Wow buddy. I'm curious what you think if I stole a toothbrush? Death penalty?

13. wakinghour macrumors regular

It may not be technically fraud but it's not justifiable. It's obviously wrong to return something in a different condition than you received it in.

14. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I'd just return it and not mention the scratches, after all you can return for any reason within 14 days.

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Apple states you can return for normal wear and tear. Obv the second you unbox the phone, it's not the same condition you bought it in. Therefore it's completely 100% justifiable to return it for normal wear and tear which is scratches.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's up to you. I'd have moral hold backs returning something just because it's scratched and then buying another.

Regardless, they inspect the phone and if they deem it damaged they'll refuse a return so I'm unsure why people are calling this fraud.

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I think the problem is that there are many people throughout this forum who get on their soapbox, claiming the moral high-ground, spouting about fraud. Not this thread in particular, but all over the place.

My point is that if I try and get a phone replaced because I think a screen scratch is a faulty screen and get told it's wear and tear, then surely this definition of wear and tear works the other way too?

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I'm not even going to stick a toe in this fraud debate you all have got going on here.

Instead, I'll take the opportunity to recommend these plastic screen protectors that had been recommended elsewhere on this forum. I've long hated screen protectors that I've tried before but these don't obscure or degrade the display and they are an inexpensive way to try screen protectors. They do show fingerprint smudges when the display is off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010MVQ456?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages01

But if you want an inexpensive but good quality way of protecting your screen, these are it. I'm terrible at applying screen protectors but I managed to do a passable job on the second attempt with the second one I used. There are three to a packet and on Amazon they are relatively cheap so they're worth a try. You can always graduate up to a more expensive tempered glass protector later.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You're perfectly within your right to simply return it. As a consumer I like to try and make Apple aware of potential issues. Since this is the second time I'm hearing this issue im inclined to suspect it may be an actual defect, however small. The more info Apple has, the easier they can remedy a potential problem.

I'm making no implications about you, personally, but it's always amazing to me how people expect a company to be flawless "because they paid so much" but then are unwilling to provide feedback. Apple isn't going to know some screens are
    Prone to scratching if consumers aren't even willing to mention it.

20. Mr.C macrumors 601

Scratches are not normal wear and tear and don't just happen unless the owner has been careless in the first place. They aren't and should not be covered under the normal warranty.

21. Mr.C macrumors 601

Since when is a scratch on the screen a normal wear and tear issue. The screens are scratch resistant not scratch proof. That means they can be scratched if the owner does not take good care of the device. If the screen has been scratched it's due to the carelessness of the owner and in no way should be accepted under the normal return policy.

22. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

You realize the coating on the iPhone can be scratched by blowing on it? Come on dude. Scratches are normal wear and tear. Remember when the iPhone 5 came out? Apple said the chipping and scratching on the iPhone was normal wear and tear. Why would they consider screen scratches not normal wear and tear? Lol

23. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

How is it not fraud? If it didn't come like that and now is scratched, trying to return it in bad condition is fraud. Apple is very forgiving for issues we as consumers typically cause, I would go in there and show them and see what they say.
    Your comparison to the toothbrush is foolish, stealing is stealing. Sure your not going to get twenty years for the toothbrush but your still a thief if you stole it.

24. Mr.C, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

Mr.C macrumors 601

Scratching a screen with a big scratch is not normal wear and tear and can only happen if someone is actually careless. I've never scratched the screens of my iPhones or iPads because I'm careful not to do so. In any case it's not something that should be or would be covered under the warranty or 14 day returns policy.

Warranties are for faults or defects beyond the owners control and the 14 day returns policy is if the item is in as new condition but the owner has for what ever reason changed their mind. Wanting to return a phone for a refund or exchange because of a scratch on the screen which in all likely hood was the fault of the owner is wrong. Scratches don't just magically appear. I sympathise with the OP but in no way would I condone returning it for such a reason.

25. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

It's cause of people doing stuff like this that cause insurance prices to rise how is it not fraud ? Sounds like people lack morals and ethics these days and I know that my family would disown me if I ever tried to pull a stunt like this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.