iPhone 6s Supports T-Mobile Extended Range LTE on 700MHz Spectrum

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    T-Mobile customers should notice an improved LTE experience in the United States with the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, as Apple has included support for LTE band 12 on the new smartphones. Both GSM and CDMA models of the new iPhones support the 700MHz spectrum.
    T-Mobile uses the 700MHz spectrum to offer what it calls T-Mobile Extended Range LTE across the U.S., which it says extends the network's LTE signal twice as far from its cellular towers and works four times better in buildings. T-Mobile Extended Range LTE is live in 170 markets and covers more than half of the American population.

T-Mobile plans to cover another 600,000 square miles with Extended Range LTE over the next three months, expanding coverage to over 260,000 homes each week to reach over 350 markets across the U.S. T-Mobile shared a map of its projected cellular coverage in the U.S. through the end of the year to highlight its progress.

[​IMG]
    T-Mobile's projected LTE coverage in the U.S. by the end of 2015

T-Mobile is confident enough that customers will be satisfied with their network coverage that it has announced a Lifetime Coverage Guarantee for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus purchased through JUMP! On Demand. The carrier will unlock your iPhone and offer partial refunds to customers that are unhappy with their coverage.
    T-Mobile has also announced that it will be offering the iPhone 6s through JUMP! On Demand for $0 down with equal monthly payments of $20 for 18 months. At the end of the 18 months, you can return your iPhone to T-Mobile and pay nothing more or pay an additional $164 more to keep the iPhone 6s -- a total cost of $524, which is $125 cheaper than Apple's $649 price.
    T-Mobile CEO John Legere also announced on Twitter that the carrier will begin selling the Apple Watch, although he stopped short of providing a specific release date. Since launching in April, the Apple Watch has slowly been expanding to resellers such as Best Buy in the U.S. and other countries following a period where sales were limited to Apple Stores and select fashion boutiques.

Article Link: iPhone 6s Supports T-Mobile Extended Range LTE on 700MHz Spectrum

2. BeSweeet, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Finally. Last year's iPhones could've had band 12 (as did several Android phones before it), but nope.

It's important to note that band 12 is only useful if you live in an area where it's available.

3. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Now bring back the 2 unlimited lines for $100 and I'm there.

4. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

Finally. My T-Mo 5s struggles to keep a constant LTE connection when in a concrete building.

5. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

6. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

7. BIRDinho macrumors regular

So what about JUMP! customers who weren't eligible for On Demand?

8. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

I don't have T-Mobile but I'm really glad they exist. Really shaking up the marketplace and keeping the other players in check. So happy the FTC didn't allow the merger with AT&T.

9. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

If they actually have a coverage map that looks like what they tout here, I MAY switch. But, as usual I will believe it when my coverage indicator states LTE just a few miles down the road.

10. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'm liking what I'm seeing... Had T-Mobile, and the coverage ended at my doorstep. Driveway? Fine. 1 bar. Cross the threshold, searching....

(This was before they had WiFi calling, but we were in a suburb of Portland, OR)

11. Lakesemaj, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

Lakesemaj macrumors newbie

Lakesemaj

Exactly, the iphone 5s doesn't have lte band 12, get the new iPhone or newer Android phone and see the difference. There is a huge difference in Ohio with the newer band.

12. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I often get no reception on T Mobile when in many buildings downtown Chicago, though I see people with ATT and Verizon using theirs just fine. Wonder if this will resolve that or not.

13. mlabonte21 macrumors member

mlabonte21

Has anybody used Jump!?

I have been with t-mobile for nearly a year with an EIP balance on a 64gb 6.

Could I just trade it in for the 6s and have the difference added to my EIP?

Thanks!

14. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

My hotel (Renaissance Blackstone) right now doesn't have anything in the lobby (though Wi-Fi calling works well). No issues when going into smaller street side shops (yet).

15. iosuser macrumors 6502a

It should. The lower frequency has better building penetration, provided that band 12 is live in your area. Band 12 is the *only* reason I'm going to upgrade again this year, although TMo's $12 off on the Jump on Demand helped there, which works out to be $216 off the full price of a 6s. I just might be camping out at TMo for the 6s next week to get my still sealed in box iPhone 6 traded in ;)

16. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

Is that not obvious!? :confused:

17. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile is the worst in really dense areas, regardless of being surrounded by skyscrapers in Chicago. I jumped from Verizon to T-Mobile, but going to reverse my decision this fall.

18. BruiserB macrumors 68000

So which model is going to be the most versatile phone with the most bands that will work on the most carriers? In the past it was the Sprint model, but it would not be unlocked so we had to go with the Verizon model. It looks like Apple is now offering only 2 models...one with CDMA and one without. The CDMA one seems to not include LTE band 30....is that a big loss? If not, I would think requesting a Verizon phone Device Only would get us a CDMA phone that has all the needed LTE bands and would be able to be activated on any US carrier. Is that correct?

19. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I may leave AT&T next year and jump onto Tmobile. I would lose my lucrative FAN discount and unlimited data but with all of the music freedom and greater building penetration with band 12 it may be enough for me to just do that (and I still have another year to go before my contract is up so who knows what else Tmobile will announce).

20. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Been with T Mobile for 1 year now and I can say it is the best carrier and best support I've had for the past 15 years.

21. TWSS37 macrumors 65816

I believe with JUMP as long as you have half the device paid off, you can turn it in and get a new one and start from scratch on your EIP. Or opt in for Jump on demand.

22. dball4 macrumors regular

The Verizon one looks to be the best, it's unlocked as are all Verizon 4g phones and it has the most bands.

23. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

In the U.S.? LTE bands 2/4/12/13/17 are really the main ones.

24. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

is there a coverage map for the extended range? TMobile is tempting but rough in my area. They have always claimed 4G LTE but its like 1 bar or none inside buildings. If I could tell that band 12 is in my area I may reconsider.

25. Edgar Spayce macrumors regular

I'm french, but if was American I would be on T-Mobile. How stupid can people be to be on Verizon or AT&T (especially knowing that they steal or your data to sell them to advertisers or give them to the NSA?)