iPhone 6s Supports T-Mobile Extended Range LTE on 700MHz Spectrum

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile customers should notice an improved LTE experience in the United States with the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, as Apple has included support for LTE band 12 on the new smartphones. Both GSM and CDMA models of the new iPhones support the 700MHz spectrum.
Model A1633 and Model A1634
LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)

Model A1688 and Model A1687
LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)
T-Mobile uses the 700MHz spectrum to offer what it calls T-Mobile Extended Range LTE across the U.S., which it says extends the network's LTE signal twice as far from its cellular towers and works four times better in buildings. T-Mobile Extended Range LTE is live in 170 markets and covers more than half of the American population.

T-Mobile plans to cover another 600,000 square miles with Extended Range LTE over the next three months, expanding coverage to over 260,000 homes each week to reach over 350 markets across the U.S. T-Mobile shared a map of its projected cellular coverage in the U.S. through the end of the year to highlight its progress.

T-Mobile's projected LTE coverage in the U.S. by the end of 2015

T-Mobile is confident enough that customers will be satisfied with their network coverage that it has announced a Lifetime Coverage Guarantee for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus purchased through JUMP! On Demand. The carrier will unlock your iPhone and offer partial refunds to customers that are unhappy with their coverage.
For as long as you use your iPhone 6s or 6s Plus on T-Mobile, if you aren't completely satisfied with your coverage experience we'll refund you for every penny you've paid for your new device in the first month, or after that, we'll unlock it at no charge so you can use it with one of the other wireless companies. We'll even refund up to a full month of your service.
T-Mobile has also announced that it will be offering the iPhone 6s through JUMP! On Demand for $0 down with equal monthly payments of $20 for 18 months. At the end of the 18 months, you can return your iPhone to T-Mobile and pay nothing more or pay an additional $164 more to keep the iPhone 6s -- a total cost of $524, which is $125 cheaper than Apple's $649 price.
Yes! We'll have #AppleWatch @tmobile. Who wants one?? #appleevent - John Legere (@JohnLegere) September 9, 2015
T-Mobile CEO John Legere also announced on Twitter that the carrier will begin selling the Apple Watch, although he stopped short of providing a specific release date. Since launching in April, the Apple Watch has slowly been expanding to resellers such as Best Buy in the U.S. and other countries following a period where sales were limited to Apple Stores and select fashion boutiques.

Article Link: iPhone 6s Supports T-Mobile Extended Range LTE on 700MHz Spectrum

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Finally. Last year's iPhones could've had band 12 (as did several Android phones before it), but nope.

It's important to note that band 12 is only useful if you live in an area where it's available.

Last edited:
Reactions: benji888

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I'm liking what I'm seeing... Had T-Mobile, and the coverage ended at my doorstep. Driveway? Fine. 1 bar. Cross the threshold, searching....

(This was before they had WiFi calling, but we were in a suburb of Portland, OR)

Lakesemaj

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Finally. My T-Mo 5s struggles to keep a constant LTE connection when in a concrete building.
Exactly, the iphone 5s doesn't have lte band 12, get the new iPhone or newer Android phone and see the difference. There is a huge difference in Ohio with the newer band.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAbc21 and motulist

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I often get no reception on T Mobile when in many buildings downtown Chicago, though I see people with ATT and Verizon using theirs just fine. Wonder if this will resolve that or not.

mlabonte21

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2015
Has anybody used Jump!?

I have been with t-mobile for nearly a year with an EIP balance on a 64gb 6.

Could I just trade it in for the 6s and have the difference added to my EIP?

Thanks!

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I often get no reception on T Mobile when in many buildings downtown Chicago, though I see people with ATT and Verizon using theirs just fine. Wonder if this will resolve that or not.
My hotel (Renaissance Blackstone) right now doesn't have anything in the lobby (though Wi-Fi calling works well). No issues when going into smaller street side shops (yet).

iosuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
It should. The lower frequency has better building penetration, provided that band 12 is live in your area. Band 12 is the *only* reason I'm going to upgrade again this year, although TMo's $12 off on the Jump on Demand helped there, which works out to be $216 off the full price of a 6s. I just might be camping out at TMo for the 6s next week to get my still sealed in box iPhone 6 traded in ;)

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
T-Mobile is the worst in really dense areas, regardless of being surrounded by skyscrapers in Chicago. I jumped from Verizon to T-Mobile, but going to reverse my decision this fall.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
So which model is going to be the most versatile phone with the most bands that will work on the most carriers? In the past it was the Sprint model, but it would not be unlocked so we had to go with the Verizon model. It looks like Apple is now offering only 2 models...one with CDMA and one without. The CDMA one seems to not include LTE band 30....is that a big loss? If not, I would think requesting a Verizon phone Device Only would get us a CDMA phone that has all the needed LTE bands and would be able to be activated on any US carrier. Is that correct?

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
I may leave AT&T next year and jump onto Tmobile. I would lose my lucrative FAN discount and unlimited data but with all of the music freedom and greater building penetration with band 12 it may be enough for me to just do that (and I still have another year to go before my contract is up so who knows what else Tmobile will announce).

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Has anybody used Jump!?

I have been with t-mobile for nearly a year with an EIP balance on a 64gb 6.

Could I just trade it in for the 6s and have the difference added to my EIP?

Thanks!
I believe with JUMP as long as you have half the device paid off, you can turn it in and get a new one and start from scratch on your EIP. Or opt in for Jump on demand.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
So which model is going to be the most versatile phone with the most bands that will work on the most carriers? In the past it was the Sprint model, but it would not be unlocked so we had to go with the Verizon model. It looks like Apple is now offering only 2 models...one with CDMA and one without. The CDMA one seems to not include LTE band 30....is that a big loss? If not, I would think requesting a Verizon phone Device Only would get us a CDMA phone that has all the needed LTE bands and would be able to be activated on any US carrier. Is that correct?
In the U.S.? LTE bands 2/4/12/13/17 are really the main ones.

dugbug

macrumors 65816
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
is there a coverage map for the extended range? TMobile is tempting but rough in my area. They have always claimed 4G LTE but its like 1 bar or none inside buildings. If I could tell that band 12 is in my area I may reconsider.

Reactions: rugmankc

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
I'm french, but if was American I would be on T-Mobile. How stupid can people be to be on Verizon or AT&T (especially knowing that they steal or your data to sell them to advertisers or give them to the NSA?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.