Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medievil2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Hi guys,

For years i have been repairing computers and laptops for customers and now with what i feel is a dying industry i want to move onto phone repairs. Part and parcel of this is going to include a lot of trial and error so i am thinking of buying broken / damaged iPhone from eBay to get my skills up on changing screens, parts, logic boards etc.

The reason for my post today is that i was wondering if i was to purchase one that in the description says iCloud Activation Lock or similar where no one can get into it, would replacing the logic board with a new one sort this?

Lastly, do you think there's a good business in upgrading customers iPhones internal storage? I've seen a guide on the internet about upgrading from 16GB to 128GB which i'm capable of doing but before i wasted my time and money wanted to get an insight first.

Many thanks.

medievil2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Thank you for your quick reply. So by changing the motherboard it'll sort out the Icloud issue but then i face the problem with the disabled fingerprint scanner? Presuming if i was to buy a motherboard i would have to look for one with a fingerprint scanner that is programmed with it?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You would need to reprogram/calibrate for the motherboard to accept the finger print scanner. The equipment for doing this is not for sale and only Apple can do it. A new clean motherboard will cost a good bit and chances of finding one is slim. Your will not know for sure the motherboard is good until after you bought and paid for it and eBay sellers have been know to be less than truthful when describing what they sell. There are lots of locked boards available as they have little to no use.

I am afraid the day of repairing most electronics is coming to a slow end. Just changing the memory module on the motherboard will be difficult with our harming the motherboard. Apple make some if not the most concentrated circuitry know to man.

medievil2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Thanks for the info and heads up. Is there nothing that can be done with the iCloud lock? I ask because the people who are selling the phones with this problem, a fair amount of people bid on the item so they must be able to sort it? Unless they just go for the parts?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There are places that claim to be able to remove the iCloud lock; however, I'm not sure what is involved to remove the lock. I suspect people are interested in iCloud-locked devices for parts, especially the screen.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks for the info and heads up. Is there nothing that can be done with the iCloud lock? I ask because the people who are selling the phones with this problem, a fair amount of people bid on the item so they must be able to sort it? Unless they just go for the parts?

It must be for parts as unless you are Apple and a few other entities, there is no way of removing the lock. It is Apple's to make sure your phone is secure if stolen. You might be able to exchange the memory but even that would take some delicate know how and equipment to work on microcircuitry. The sheer number of connections involved in the 128gb module with the circuit board would be a challenge for sure. But then you might be that professional required.

Even if the board were unlocked, if stolen the board could be blacklisted by one of the carriers when you get it or any time in the future. Most stolen device from America end up overseas when the the black list does not apply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.