iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are IP67 Water Resistant, But Water Damage Isn't Covered Under Warranty

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's latest iPhones, the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, are the company's first iPhones that have been advertised as "water and dust resistant" with an official IP67 rating under International Electrotechnical Standards, a uniform way of determining water and resistance ratings across a wide range of devices.

IP67 is actually two numbers, one that refers to the dust resistance rating and one that refers to water resistance. IP6x is the highest dust resistance rating, indicating the iPhone 7 is completely protected against dust.

[​IMG]

IPx7, the water resistance rating, means the iPhone 7 can withstand immersion in water to one meter (3.3 feet) for 30 minutes, tested in laboratory conditions. IPx7 is the second-highest rating, below IP8, which indicates an ability to withstand long periods of immersion under pressure. Samsung's devices, by the way, are rated at IP68, suggesting better overall water resistance.

Apple describes the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus as "splash, water, and dust resistant," and it should hold up to accidental drops in the pool, bathtub, or shower or light splashing. It shouldn't be used in high-pressure water conditions, such as in direct shower water, and it shouldn't be kept under water for extended periods of time.
    Apple warns against attempting to charge a wet iPhone, which could result in damage to the device, and it specifies that any liquid damage to the device is not covered under warranty, so it's best to use caution when exposing the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus to water.

Article Link: iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are IP67 Water Resistant, But Water Damage Isn't Covered Under Warranty

2. citi macrumors 65816

citi

They made it water resistant. If there is water damage it's your fault. You're not watering right.

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

*waits for the first person to try to charge the phone under water

4. Waxhead138 macrumors 6502

Maybe I missed it....but anyone catch whether or not the airpods are water resistent as well?

5. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Smfh why about apple care how much would I have to pay if it gets water

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You want swimming buds, get the Bragi Dash. They are designed for swimming and have on board storage.

7. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Lol, can't wait for the first lawsuit. Advertise a product as water and dust resistant, but don't cover it under warranty if it fails.

8. Justino_Asturias macrumors newbie

Justino_Asturias

I wonder if Phil Schiller has insured his patented iMuffinTop and ever growing iHippo rear end ? :confused:

9. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Lol. Courage, Tim drops the mic.
    Can't screw customers my ass.

10. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Same as the first watch; not sure why it's surprising. If they cover water damage, you're gonna see idiots swimming with it when the spec isn't rated for that kind of use.

11. Waxhead138 macrumors 6502

I dont want either. Was simply curious because for a Bragi-Dash style, from Apple, its surprisingly inexpensive. The whole Airpod / Earpod design doesnt work well in my ears. Constantly falling out.

12. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

IP actually means International Protection marking. It's a code designed to be recognised internationally.

13. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Samsung doesn't cover their phones under the normal warranty for water damage. Same thing with the Active phones. They will cover it if you pay for the accidental warranty coverage.

Just like what Apple is doing...

14. ohio.emt, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

The problem with that is they only rated the first watch as splash resistant. The are advertising the iPhone 7 as IP67 rated, which means it can be submerged 1m. However if you also look at the fine print the say normal usage will decrease its water resistance.

Edit: to fix the rated depth. Gotta stop reading about a different product when commenting on another.

15. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

No, IP67 is 1m for 30 min.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Can't sue for something that has a disclaimer. Thats user fault.

17. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yes, that's how physics works.

The constant water pressure will degrade rubber/adhesive seals. This is why high-end diving watches have to be "serviced" every few years. For mechanism maintenance and new seals.

18. lmcrael macrumors member

What about AppleCare+? Will that cover water damage?

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You'll have to pay the $99 deductible. Unless you can prove your phone wasn't subjected to anything great than the IP67 rating.

20. brendu macrumors 68020

$100 if you have AppleCare. $650+ if not.

21. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

lol, my bad. I had been going reading the watch release article while while reading the forums.

Disclaimers don't protect company from everything. Just ask Apple how that has gone over for them in various countries.

I know was just pointing out that it's listed also.

22. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Three separate references over 3 years in one comment. Your hate is timeless.

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Someone will probably try to use an iPhone without a SIM card tray and complained why water got in.

24. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

I personally think that water resistance is nothing more than insurance. Meaning if you drop it in water and pick it up ASAP, you're in good shape.

It would be cool if the water resistance was to the point you wouldn't need a speaker that can be in water when at the pool or beach though.

25. lucky_cloud macrumors newbie

lucky_cloud

Apple also makes iPhones with hardened glass displays, but if you smash your display that's not covered under warranty. There's no difference here.