iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Pre-Orders Could Start September 9

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 27, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over the weekend well-known mobile phone leaker Evan Blass predicted that the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus would release the week of September 12. A short time later, he predicted that it should launch on Friday, September 16. Today, Blass has followed up and reported that pre-orders would take place on Friday, September 9.

[​IMG]

Apple typically announces the newest iPhone a couple days before pre-orders start. With September 5 being Labor Day, it's likely Tuesday, September 6 would be the day of Apple's iPhone 7 event. The dates roughly line up with Apple's usual pattern for iPhone releases. Last year, Apple announced the iPhone on September 9, started pre-orders on September 12 and released it on September 25.

Blass is well known for leaking details and images from Android smartphones well before official confirmations. A couple days before predicting the release week of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, he revealed that the codenames for Apple's new smartphones are "Sonora" and "Dos Palos."

This year's iPhone models are not expected to feature significant design changes aside from the loss of the headphone jack. Instead, Apple is said to be introducing major new features for the 10th anniversary iPhone 8. The 4.7-inch iPhone 7 is expected to get an improved camera and optical image stabilization while the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus may gain a dual-lens camera system and 3 GB of RAM.

Other rumored features for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus include a faster TSMC-made A10 processor, repositioned antenna bands, faster LTE and Wi-Fi, a slightly larger battery, and a minimum 32 GB of base storage.

Article Link: iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Pre-Orders Could Start September 9

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

3GB of ram? Wishful thinking. Who would upgrade to 7S then?

3. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Considering the iPhone 7.

But then I remember...no 3.5 mm headphone jack. It's going to be a tough call this September.

Im definitely excited about a 32 GB option which means at least I won't have to shell out a lot of money for space I won't use.

4. Aussi3 macrumors 6502

Aussi3

5. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

The A-10 processor will be enough reason for me to upgrade from a 6s.

6. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Okay...so apple is making inaccessible to 3.5 jack...okay...no problem. I won't buy it...or i'll wait for next model.
    i can see that people would use bluetooth...and at times i would use it like working out or something like that.
    I like 3.5 because I have to recharge on bluetooth earphones.

7. Altis macrumors 68030

I don't care how good the camera is so long as they cripple it with their ridiculous processing methods. Daytime, well lit photos shouldn't look like distorted water paintings.

Also, small typo with "optimal" instead of "optical", MacRumors.

8. now i see it macrumors 68030

I wonder if there will still be lines around the block at Apple Stores this time around

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I'm holding out (reluctanty( for "iPhone 10" in June '17

10. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Nothing like the usual haters to brighten the mood :/

I'm personally excited for the next iPhone, regardless of whether I buy it or not.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Preorders went extremely well last year. Here's to hoping it only gets better even if I plan on sitting this one out.

12. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I'm very excited about this phone. Some people's expectations are way too high. The design looks great. I don't mind a protruding camera. I'm sure the phone will have great features.

Just wait.

13. Osty macrumors 6502a

Osty

Interesting to watch Macrumors become the go-to place for Apple haters and doomsayers.

Meanwhile the rest of the community will just continue to buy Apple's products and enjoy them, completely oblivious to us dying breed of nerds who care more about specs and Skylake rather than the experience offered by the product and its ecosystem.

Apple's whole has always been greater than the sum of it's parts.

14. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

They will only make 9.5 then so there is still a line! That poor soul that got there last gets half an iPhone.

15. BackseatJuice macrumors newbie

BackseatJuice

If there is no significant revision on the iPhone's design.
    Apple will be taking a hit if you want to call it that.
    They will listen in time for the iPhone 7S (8).

16. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

This will be an easy pass, haven't seen anything worthy of my $$ yet.

17. Oldfash33 macrumors regular

Oldfash33

18. bushido Suspended

bushido

I would almost rather buy the Redmi Pro posted yesterday. Apple needs to start copying other companies designs if they can no longer come up with one on their own

19. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

I want dual camera 4" iPhone with the design of the 6/7

20. MacStuffAndThings macrumors newbie

Already bought a 128 GB 6S Plus a few weeks ago because I'm not dealing with some dongle. Just no.

21. smacrumon, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

This move of pre order before launch is very Tesla. However in this case and different to Tesla's use of the marketing tactic, it would only be used to bolster some kind of loose argument that there is some kind of demand for iPhone 7.

Apple would expect their typical X amount of preorders and would likely advertise this at the launch "we already have X amount of preorders, there's great demand for this phone" even if preorder demand is lower than previous years. It's the kind of marketing a company might do if their is some doubt about the future success of the product.

If the 2017 model iPhone turns out to be the most significant update seen in years, this iPhone 7 of 2016 will likely be ignored by most consumers.

22. rgeneral macrumors member

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

This will be the first time in years that I won't be preordering. But I will look forward to the announcement, the reviews, and seeing what the new cameras can do. I may trade in my 6S Plus if the new dual camera system brings extraordinary results but I won't be buying upon release this time.

I think the upgraded components are a significant step up on refining the 6 series, but do not truly define an entirely new series. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just not particularly exciting as it was when the 6 body type was first released.

24. MH01 Suspended

MH01

A new iPhone launch in September is a given, it's the only thing certain about apple these days .

It will be a nice upgrade for someone coming from a much older device who likes the new design.

Im more interested which existing computer range gets the chop in 2016, I'm thinking Mac Pro .

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here we go again. Blass hasn't leaked or predicted anything. If his reports are to be believed at all, it is because he is reporting something leaked to him by someone with the actual knowledge, and not because he is gazing into his magic crystal ball. So why not just say that?