Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sadashortt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Received my phone on Friday (iPhone 7+ Rose Gold 128GB), set it up and all. Fast forward to Sunday.... its in my bag when I grab it there's a message about it being too hot. I wait for two hours for it to cool down. Took the case off put it out in open air to cool down. After it cools down there's no cell service...I tried removing the SIM card, resetting network settings, doing a soft reboot, finally I wiped the phone and restored the back up...in the process of the restoration I put it on the charger it cuts off completely. I take it off then put it back on the charger again and stepped out of the house, when I came back I couldn't even pick it up it was too hot. Never came back on and I now have to return it to Apple because its sold out everywhere! #ANNOYED

Reactions: ceva321

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
Yea, they called all the stores in my area! Nothing :(
Were you asking if they had them in stock without mentioning you already had one and this was for service? Most stores have a supply of replacement phones for service even if they're out of stock for new purchases. Schedule an appointment and take it in anyway so they'll have it reserved for you on the off chance they have no stock for service/warranty.

sadashortt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Were you asking if they had them in stock without mentioning you already had one and this was for service? Most stores have a supply of replacement phones for service even if they're out of stock for new purchases. Schedule an appointment and take it in anyway so they'll have it reserved for you on the off chance they have no stock for service/warranty.

Yep, the Apple rep called the stores and told them I needed a replacement device and they were all out or already reserved!

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Yep, the Apple rep called the stores and told them I needed a replacement device and they were all out or already reserved!

I would call again. Reserved devices are not the same as replacement devices. When the phones are produced they are sent in in two places - one being into a retail box - second being into phone only boxes for replacement. No way those are gone yet.

Reactions: ABC5S

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
I would call again. Reserved devices are not the same as replacement devices. When the phones are produced they are sent in in two places - one being into a retail box - second being into phone only boxes for replacement. No way those are gone yet.

I too have to get a white-box replacement for my 7 plus. Are these brand new devices? The manager on the phone told me they are..especially at this point with the phone being so new. Any insight? (I've heard numerous things)

dmweinst

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
Received my phone on Friday (iPhone 7+ Rose Gold 128GB), set it up and all. Fast forward to Sunday.... its in my bag when I grab it there's a message about it being too hot. I wait for two hours for it to cool down. Took the case off put it out in open air to cool down. After it cools down there's no cell service...I tried removing the SIM card, resetting network settings, doing a soft reboot, finally I wiped the phone and restored the back up...in the process of the restoration I put it on the charger it cuts off completely. I take it off then put it back on the charger again and stepped out of the house, when I came back I couldn't even pick it up it was too hot. Never came back on and I now have to return it to Apple because its sold out everywhere! #ANNOYED
My iPhone 7+ was defective in that Bluetooth didn't work. I walked into an Apple Store and explained my brand new phone was defective. They immediately escalated me to the top of the walk-in Genius Bar queue and assigned both a genius and manager to my issue. When they verified that the phone was indeed defective they replaced it immediately from new product stock even though technically they were sold out.
I'm sure you will have the same experience.

Reactions: ABC5S

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
My iPhone 7+ was defective in that Bluetooth didn't work. I walked into an Apple Store and explained my brand new phone was defective. They immediately escalated me to the top of the walk-in Genius Bar queue and assigned both a genius and manager to my issue. When they verified that the phone was indeed defective they replaced it immediately from new product stock even though technically they were sold out.

was it a whitebox replacement? (or the retail box?) Did they tell you it was brand new?

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I too have to get a white-box replacement for my 7 plus. Are these brand new devices? The manager on the phone told me they are..especially at this point with the phone being so new. Any insight? (I've heard numerous things)

Last edited:

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
Several users have already tried to get phones swapped at Apple since Friday and I don't think hardly any have been successful.
Supply is really that short that they couldn't even stock replacement units at all stores.

tlaw81

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
North Carolina
What was wrong with your Bluetooth? Just wondering since mine has been funky too.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Several users have already tried to get phones swapped at Apple since Friday and I don't think hardly any have been successful.
Supply is really that short that they couldn't even stock replacement units at all stores.

Same experience with me..they had to order a replacement for me...none in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.