iPhone 7 - Don't cry about your missing AUX Input

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetBen, Aug 13, 2016.

1. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

You AUX jack lovers annoy me. You hold back change and progression with your whinging. You pipe up about how Apple will fail because the precious AUX input has been removed.

Yes because advancing wireless technology and getting rid of long, tangly cables is a bad thing :rolleyes:

Why do you even buy Apple when you know this is what they do? They move the goalposts. People moan. Then people shut up when they realise why it has been done.

In September we will find out why and it will be awesome. :apple:

2. Cryates, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2016

Cryates macrumors 65816

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm fine with the port being removed, because that is inevitably where technology is headed, however I can respect that other people don't want to see it. It's a big step, and an inconvenient one at that, at least in the short term. Nobody is a fan of having to add an extra dongle. This talk would be different if the general public using bluetooth headphones was the norm, but it's not. Accept that others may share an opinion that doesn't align with yours.

No sense in making ANOTHER thread about it.

3. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Remember dumb phones that didn't have 3.5mm audio jacks and instead had 2.5mm or proprietary connectors for audio? Apple loves to copy.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

There are ways to promote change and advancement without eliminating choice and convenience. Maybe Apple should learn a few.

For instance, if they want to promote wireless or lightning audio as the new standard, all they have to do is include the appropriate earbuds with the phone. I know there are a lot of audiophiles here who won't sully their ears with Apple earbuds, but most people use what comes in the box. So if they included the new earbuds most people would try them, but they could also keep the jack so that people wouldn't be forced to abandon the universal standard over night. They could perhaps get rid of it in the next generation after people and the industry as a whole have had a chance to get used to the change. It's not like wireless/lightning earbuds require the absense of the standard headphone jack. iPhones have supported this technology for years already.

As for why I "buy Apple" in the first place, I don't buy "Apple". I buy products, some of which are made by Apple, based on what those products offer. If I don't like what the next iPhone offers (or doesn't offer) I won't buy it. iPhones, for all their minimalism, have never lacked a feature that I really cared about before.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Very well stated. And as for this "progress" well I have Beats noise cancellation Bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth earbuds. I didn't pick them, they were gifts. Neither is advanced or convenient as far as I'm concerned. I have to remember to keep them charged. Okay, I can do that and they do hold their charge on standby for a long time, but it's just something else to keep track of and another adapter as these Apple products use micro USB and not lightning for charging.

But then I go to actually use them and have to put up with odd random audio skips. That's even with my wearing the iPhone on me. Then there is the whole bother of pairing them. Sometimes when I go to use them they pair up automatically. Most of the time I have to go through a list of devices that either the iPhone or the headsets were paired to previously. This is a real pain at night when I come across a video snippet I want to hear without waking my husband. I just end up plugging in my trusty Sony headphones into the jack, nice and simple.

It is not whinging or whining to state my wishes and preferences as a consumer. I think there was a reasonable and logical way Apple could have gone about this as joeblow7777 said. But if they indeed go through with this plan now, I think it's premature to do so. Especially with a model that isn't expected to offer much in the way of wow factor to make up for the absence of a feature many of us rely on day to day. It may be very old but it is a very utilitarian standard that has stood the test of time. Lightning may offer some advantages but it's proprietary.

6. stevemiller macrumors 65832

i don't know about other people, but i have several different headphones depending on my needs. i have a bluetooth set for working at my desk, small earbuds for exercising that i don't care if they get sweaty/ruined, and an audiotechnica pair that are useful when you want/need 'accuracy'.

the bluetooth pair is fine, but an extra thing to charge is a hassle. having to rebuy and manage the charging of several headphones doesn't feel terribly appealing. having to rebuy lighting versions that don't work with any other devices is also not a great solution. so that leaves adapters. if in two years the net result is still a bunch of people walking around with adapter dongles hanging off their phone, that doesn't really feel like progression.

7. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Well said, having to keep another product charged which uses a completely different charge port is quite annoying. Wired headphones are just easier and more convenient for me.

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

It's like migrating solely to electric cars when there aren't enough charge stations to accommodate them yet. There's some drawbacks for enough people that it matters.

9. Ulenspiegel, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  10. itsray macrumors 6502

wired will always provide better sound quality than wireless. always.

11. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Your post is illogical. Complaining about long tangly cords that will still exist when Apple switch to the lightening port for headphones. All it means is that Apple will corner the market for headphones and charge punters more for better headphones than the crappy ear phones that have today. Bluetooth tech is still too restrictive to be universal; it's analogous to the problems putting a G5 in the PowerBook in 2004. In terms of goal post shifting, the general act of removing a de facto standard like the 3.5mm jack is equivalent to the upcoming Apple iCar only having three wheels. Yes, it's possible but it's also incontinent, and likely make Apple look foolish in the long run.

12. lagwagon, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016

lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Except things and people won't change when they still have the old, familiar option given to them. It's hard to give up those comfy, worn in pair jeans and wear the new ones when you still have the comfy old pair in the drawer tempting you. People always gravitate to what they know.

And it's not like everyone is forced to change over night. Only those who buy the phone (which then means they are fully aware of what they're getting into.) Getting rid of it in the next generation as you mention wouldn't change a thing except to delay they outcry of a vocal minority by one year.

13. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

"Grrrrr. I'm so mad. I chose a position so you should all fall in line. Must kill first child before having second one. Apple say throw away your cables and accessories every few years or be buried in past. AUX jack is reason no jet packs. (and add a stupid emoji so I can later claim sarcasm, :rolleyes:). Grrrr."

14. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Advancing technology? Bluetooth is a step back from 3.5mm.

Clearly you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Except for every other time in history when people do change when they still have the old. No one stopped making 8-track, cassette, or VHS players when the new standard to replace them was first introduced. How many of us had stereos with a cassette player on the front and a CD tray on top? Or VCR/DVD combo? You transition. You integrate. You don't replace out of the blue. Totally taking away the old standard in a single generation is not the way advancement usually happens. That's the Apple philosophy of "you need what we say you need". Everyone else continues to support the old standard. If the new one is actually better, it will take over on its own.

Whether or not it is a vocal "minority" that is opposed to the loss of the headphone jack remains to be seen. I really think that some people here are underestimating how much this matters to a lot of people. A standard headphone jack is one of the most ubiquitous features in modern technology. You're right that there would still be complaints if they removed it a year from now, but a lot more people will have gotten used to the new headphones packed in the box, and there would be a lot more 3rd party options. There's really no rush to get rid of it at all. Having access to a floppy disk drive didn't stop people from adopting new storage technology that offered clear advantages.

It's also not really fair to say that it's not like everyone is being forced to adapt, because everyone who wants a new iPhone this year is. Anyone who wants or needs a new flagship phone this year either has to give up the jack or switch platforms.

16. aces99, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016

aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

You anti AUX jack lovers annoy me. There are drawbacks with going wireless. One is wired headphones sound better than wireless headphones. Second is wired headphones don't skip and cut out like wireless headphones do. Third is you constantly have to charge wireless headphones. Fourth is how are you supposed to charge your phone if you are listening to music with the supplied dongle plugged into the phone. You can't do both at the same times. Fifth is now you have to keep track of a little dongle and if you loose it you want to be able to listen to music. How does leaving the AUX jack hold back change or progress. There is no reason they couldn't put a new pair of wireless or lightening earbuds in the box and promote lightening headphones but still leave the 3.5mm audio jack for people that have regular headphones. That way it's a win win for everybody.

17. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

I'm sure anyone looks foolish when they're incontinent during a long run.

18. Skika macrumors 68030

Moaning about other people's moaning is still moaning.

19. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

The problem is that Apple is the only manufacturer of the iPhone. Unless Apple wants to make manufacturing even more complicated there will have to be a point in time where the new iPhone model doesn't have a 3.5mm port; it just so happens that's this year. The audio via lightning standard has been around for a few years, Apple just decided to drag their feet on pushing its adoption. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple figured people would've adapted to lightning/wireless headphones by now, and thought that the switch this year (if it comes to pass) wouldn't be that big of a deal. Sure it sucks not having a headphone jack anymore, but it would've been nice if it was replaced by a more universally accepted standard port (e.g. USB C).

20. jerwin macrumors 65816

AUX input? Your choice of words betrays you.

21. itsray macrumors 6502

that especially sucks if you have to use an adapter with the new phone in the car if it doesnt have a headphone jack. I know plenty of people who use an aux cable and charge their phone at the same time in the car.

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

This post makes absolutely no sense to me. You can take advantage of wireless headphones now via Bluetooth. you don't need Apple to remove the 3.5 mm jack for you to do that. :rolleyes:

23. Alexrat1996 Suspended

no need for it i already have all my beats wireless no wires needed

24. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

I've never seen so much enthusiasm for the loss of a feature before.

Bluetooth headphones already exist as a low-fi and inconvenient small niche and Lightning headphones apparently are going to exist to fleece consumers and justify Apple's foolish Beats purchase.

The end result of this will be people using this decision as an excuse to avoid the boring iPhone 7 altogether or defect to Android. And that's why I believe Apple won't eliminate the headphone jack. It's just stupid.

BJ

25. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

They're taking away the Lightning port???

Is there another AUX input?