iPhone 7 home button feedback

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Oct 15, 2016.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

so my home button is set on 1.

But sometimes when I double or triple click, the first click is a 1, the second is like a 5 (very strong) then it goes back to 1.

Its highly annoying, anyone else experience this?

this doesn't happen every single time, but i can replicate it pretty easily.

Honestly wish I could turn the whole thing off, I def don't need a vibrate to tell me I clicked the button.

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

There doesn't appear to be a way to turn it off entirely, you can try turning off this settings: Settings > Sounds & Haptics > System Haptics, and see if it reduces the additional power click feedback you're getting. It won't disable the click altogether though.

3. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I was thinking the same thing regarding turning off the haptic button to conserve battery life. Unfortunately there is not a way to do this. Maybe a future software update (If ever) could provide this option.

4. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Wish I could turn it off too.

5. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah ill wait for the jailbreak for that.

How about anyone experiencing this? Sometimes the click is 1, sometimes it def gets louder and stronger.

Just wanna say this is not an issue ill be returning/exchanging my launch day 7, great screen with no hiss. Just rather annoying.

If no one hasn't noticed, keep an eye or ear out (lol) and see if it happens. Ill bump in a few days

6. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Not noticing it. Tried both double and triple click.

7. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

actually I just noticed the vibration is stronger considering how hard you press it. Mines set at 1.

If i lightly press it i get a light vibrate. if I press it harder the vibration is stronger.

8. xotigu macrumors member

hmm mine's fine and I love it, haven't experience that though.
    yours might need replacement.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Hey, this is awesome. I think you may have discovered the same thing I did and made a thread about yesterday.
    Have a look and tell me if it sounds familiar:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-7-home-button-depending-on-pressure.2007057/

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The haptic feedback seems to remain the same for me, even when I press at different pressures.

11. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Strange that people are reporting different results with this. It's very easily felt and heard in my case, and it's annoying getting different feedback at different times for the same button press.
    Maybe a manufacturing inconsistency in some way? Or some people just can't register the difference?

Try putting the bottom of the phone up to your ear and do a couple of light presses and a couple of firm presses. There's a quite clear audible different to me.

Here's my waveform from my other thread for people who didn't bother to follow the link. 4 firm presses followed by 4 light presses:

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 23.27.46.png

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Have tried over and over and a light press feels/sounds just the same as a harder press.

No difference. Not saying yours is not different but mine is not.

13. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Interesting. Thanks. If you could be bothered, would you mind making a sound recording with the built-in Voice Memos app of a series of firm and light presses and uploading it? You can use the Lightning EarPods on your 7 while placing the microphone right next to the bottom speaker.
    I'd be much obliged.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sorry but have no interest in doing so. Even if it does vary in intensity, what difference does it make. It is a non issue to me and likely most others.

Sorry

15. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That's fair. Thanks for replying anyway.

It's just that it feels strange to get different sensations from the button click throughout the day. It's a user experience issue rather than a functional issue.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

And I understand. I do not pay attention to it but I know different people are bothered by different things.

17. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yup yours is exactly like mine. I don't consider it an issue and won't be exchanging. Hopefully we can shut it off one day

18. JTToft, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016

JTToft macrumors 68040

- Thanks. I do wonder if it varies between devices, or if some people just can't feel it.

I think it's strange because you have two different clicks, in effect, which don't result in different functions. In other areas of the phone, two different degrees of pressure results in different functions (such as "peek" and "pop"). The two different degrees of pressure and different feedback on the Home button, though, don't result in a functional difference.
    It's almost like a pseudo Force Touch trackpad where the deep click doesn't give a different function.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Interesting that some people are reporting inconsistent strength between presses. I tried double and triple clicking and they're not inconsistent at all and are exactly the same strength at "1".

20. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It must be a manufacturing difference so that it happens on some devices but not on others. I have a hard time believing some people simply can't feel or hear it if it's actually there.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

More likely a software bug. A virtual button can't just tap stronger on its own.

22. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You're probably right.

23. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wouldn't it be hardware bc of the vibrate chip next to the home button?

And yes believe it. My home button def feels different between clicks when I click 10-20 times in a row. My gf noticed it too but my sister does not.

So I'm thinking some people just can't feel it lol

24. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It's the Taptic Engine that generates different vibrations, yes. But it's possible the software sometimes erroneously sends a command for a light vibration when it should have been firmer.

What I would like is a sound recording akin to the one I made from a person who doesn't notice a difference on their phone. That should tell us something.

25. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

I was able to replicate this with a display iphone 7 from best buy.