Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
onyx-iphone7-jet-black-scratched.png

This photo alone should tell you they're selling snake oil.

nanostate_HQ

Suspended
Sep 17, 2016
@ct2k7
Thanks for tagging me in our I would of missed this thread :)

I don't know where to start!

@Newtons Apple
"Likely no better that a high quality automotive protectorate"
I think you're referring to ceramic coating, which only sticks to lacquered paint, which the iPhone 7 does not have. And some automotive nano coatings are very good indeed, you might want to search Nissans nano coatings for cars, if mine ours did half this I would be very happy.

@nish77
"seems like no one's going to risk buying this"

We have sold out, around 2,000 a day are being ordered and we are on back order until the 3rd of Oct, as stated on the website.

@noobinator
Seems like something you'd see on local TV at 2:30am

thanks for thinking our product is sexy but I don't watch adult channels so I could not possibly comment in what way you liked it :)

@Infinitewisdom
Not inconceivable that it works, but instead of scratching your phones finish, you'd be scratching the coating. The end result is that you'd still have scratches

If the coating is strong enough it won't scratch the coating or the phone.

@spazma7ik
"Snake Oil"
I already replied to the same quote on the other thread, some people do not realise that such technologies exist.

About Onyx
It is not a scragtchproof coating, what it can do is to limit the amount of damage that can occur to your JB, if you scratch it hard enough it will scratch e.g. knife, hard dig with keys, coins or drops abrasive sand type scratch etc... We don't claim it's a wonder product or that is invincible, what we do claim is that it is much better than 0 protection, even with a case stuff gets inside and scratches it and so on. We also offered a free nanotechnology skin we make called alien skin for every purchase of Onyx using the coupon code for macrumors members so you have guaranteed protection. What most of our customers want is 2 things 1. to maintain good condition of their iPhone 2. maintain good condition of their iPhone so it has a good resale value.

If you look at JerryRigEverything on youtube he scratched his JB by wiping it with his shirt, so obviously our 9H scratch test is much harder that a shirt. What we offer is protection solution using nanotechnologies, we don't offer wonder products.

Checkout Onyx video here, bit of a rush job but at least you can see it working.

ONYX TESTED

You might be interested in looking at some of our videos on youtube, we have been reviewed in "real tests" with CNN News, Time Inc and many other youtubers with other products we make, we don't make snake oil or we would of been well sussed out by now!

Liquid Sapphire
Flash Flood
Flash Flood CNN News

nish77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2016
@ct2k7
Thanks for tagging me in our I would of missed this thread :)

I don't know where to start!

@Newtons Apple
"Likely no better that a high quality automotive protectorate"
I think you're referring to ceramic coating, which only sticks to lacquered paint, which the iPhone 7 does not have. And some automotive nano coatings are very good indeed, you might want to search Nissans nano coatings for cars, if mine ours did half this I would be very happy.

@nish77
"seems like no one's going to risk buying this"

We have sold out, around 2,000 a day are being ordered and we are on back order until the 3rd of Oct, as stated on the website.

@noobinator
Seems like something you'd see on local TV at 2:30am

thanks for thinking our product is sexy but I don't watch adult channels so I could not possibly comment in what way you liked it :)

@Infinitewisdom
Not inconceivable that it works, but instead of scratching your phones finish, you'd be scratching the coating. The end result is that you'd still have scratches

If the coating is strong enough it won't scratch the coating or the phone.

@spazma7ik
"Snake Oil"
I already replied to the same quote on the other thread, some people do not realise that such technologies exist.

About Onyx
It is not a scragtchproof coating, what it can do is to limit the amount of damage that can occur to your JB, if you scratch it hard enough it will scratch e.g. knife, hard dig with keys, coins or drops abrasive sand type scratch etc... We don't claim it's a wonder product or that is invincible, what we do claim is that it is much better than 0 protection, even with a case stuff gets inside and scratches it and so on. We also offered a free nanotechnology skin we make called alien skin for every purchase of Onyx using the coupon code for macrumors members so you have guaranteed protection. What most of our customers want is 2 things 1. to maintain good condition of their iPhone 2. maintain good condition of their iPhone so it has a good resale value.

If you look at JerryRigEverything on youtube he scratched his JB by wiping it with his shirt, so obviously our 9H scratch test is much harder that a shirt. What we offer is protection solution using nanotechnologies, we don't offer wonder products.

Checkout Onyx video here, bit of a rush job but at least you can see it working.

ONYX TESTED

You might be interested in looking at some of our videos on youtube, we have been reviewed in "real tests" with CNN News, Time Inc and many other youtubers with other products we make, we don't make snake oil or we would of been well sussed out by now!

Liquid Sapphire
Flash Flood
Flash Flood CNN News
Could you send the product to some famous youtubers for testing?...that would inspire confidence in all of us and would help increase your sales manifold as well!!! It's a win win !

Reactions: Illogix

Halt&CatchFire

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
You can see a scratch in the video that you posted.

I have a JB phone. I am most definitely a customer., and would buy in a heartbeat. But I need something a little more substantial than that video before I plop down $50. There's very, very little information out there as to the quality and performance of your product. If it works and works well, I will buy it in a heartbeat. But I need some reviews, or some proof....and that video is insufficient.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
For tech related stuff someone like a MKBHD or Jonathan Morisson may have a better impact than CNN from a marketing perspective!
Ah both of those guys are paid to say things, they use to be amazing.. now.. it's all about the mighty dollar.

nanostate_HQ

Suspended
Sep 17, 2016
From https://itsbetterwaxed.com/blogs/detailing-tips/114271748-what-does-ceramic-coating-9h-mean
"The biggest concern with this testing method is the lack of control and standards."

You guys should publish where the treated surface fits on the Mohs scale (and have a scratch test demonstrating that on your website).

I know...give some units to Consumer Reports. :)

We are very aware of coatings procedures and testing, so let me explain, Mohs will vary in hardness depending on the hardness of the substrate, it's not a matter of if you put it on anything thats the results. If you put it on Titanium and then Lead, you will get different Mohs reading, also in the above report the same goes for Mohs, if the correct pressure is not applied the readings can be inaccurate, so your idea according to that report would be the same. :)

The Mohs scale is far to abrasive for this type of coating, it will eat it at a 3, It's been tested 4 times on the mohs scale already. The thing we are trying to put across is this, if someone can scratch the JB by cleaning their shirt then of course the pencil would of done much more damage, the test were done at a pressure where the lead was at breaking point as you can see it splintering away as we apply the pressure, it may not be exactly 9H, but the idea was to demonstrate it has some resistance. You can see from the video that the pencil scratched the uncoated area and not the coated. Now if I was to stab the pencil in to the coating it would 100% make a mark the coated area. there are also other things that can scratch it, sand like materials containing quarts and other abrasive materials will give it micro scratches. The idea of Onyx is to reduce damage caused from minor scars, we don't claim it's bullet proof or 10 mohs, what we claim is that it's better than nothing and it improves the durability of the surface and thats what most people want to know.

Here is our mohs scale testing kits with real minerals, not the metal simulation picks.
image1.JPG

[doublepost=1475190680][/doublepost]@tkukoc
You know the score exactly, we were approached by 2 of the biggest tech reviewers on youtube, we were very excited until we found out it was all about them getting views than really giving viewers a good review, When I explained about the product what it can and can't do, I was getting "I don't think you understand" which being a bit naive I didn't get it until they also demanded a commission through Amazon payments 15%! So we gave it a blank. You can see on the other thread about me being excited about a youtube tech review that was coming up for onyx!

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
We are very aware of coatings procedures and testing, so let me explain, Mohs will vary in hardness depending on the hardness of the substrate, ...********, more ********, piled higher and deeper
So, do you actually believe the drivel that comes out of your mouth, or were you a used car salesman previously?

You're dealing with people that actually understand the science. You want to BS us? You better have some scientists telling you how to fake the claims that you're making.

"pencil test" ratings are a joke.

You're saying that you can't even stand a 3 on the Mohs scale, then fine, state that! None of this ***** footing around suggesting that it's going to be more durable than what people are being led to think. Publish that figure.

"if someone can scratch the JB with their shirt" - that's the scientific test that you're throwing out there?! Dude could have had any number of particulates on his shirt when that happened!?

Seriously - unless you guys start embracing some aspects of the scientific method, all you're going to get from here are the lemmings that fall for the marketing pics. Then the pickings are going to get sparse.

Reactions: Tycho24

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
People are expecting too much protection from a liquid coating. Here is my opinion of looks vs protection (durability) chart:

Attachments

• IMG_9191.PNG
    IMG_9191.PNG
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 375
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.