Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocket Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
iPhone '7' is arriving soon and the whole damn thing is leaking worse than the Titanic (see
)
With such mind bending features like '3d touch' that were touted as the next coming of Jesus...
How will Apple spin this 'best iPhone ever' I wonder?

So, which killer feature are you loooking forward to the most?

Waterproofing like its competitors have for years?

Increased RAM to a whoping 3GB's?

Some kind of mildly upgraded 'retina' (bwhaha maybe retina for the seeing impaired) screen that is still miles behind some of it's competitors?

The removal of the headphone jack so you can get your golden beats bluetooth earphones.. (Not included).

The return of the 16GB base capacity (I dare you to defend this crap)?

Dual cameras for better pictures?

Wireless charging (not likely yet)?

When did Apple stop being a technological leader?

Not to worry! IPhone 8 will right all the wrongs, just like the second gen Macbook added a second port after enough user feedback.. Not.

Bottom line for Apple: make enough questionable choices and no amount of Apple magic (tm) will save you.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I'm excited for it regardless of what everyone else thinks. And I really don't care about the spec race, and neither does Apple. They don't throw a 1440p display into their phones. Why? It is much harder on the processor and GPU and you get minimal gains over 1080p. (The 750p in the 6s is inexcusable bough). The iPhone only has a weak 2 GB of RAM? Well, it performs better than Android phones with 3 GB. Only a dual-core processor? Still outperforms flagship Android phones with 4 and 8 core processors.

Apple provides a user experience, not a spec sheet. I don't care about the amount of cores my processor has or the megapixel count of the camera or the amount of RAM. As long as it performs well consistently, day in and day out, that's all that matters to me.

(And no, I don't hate Android, I'm just making a point) :D

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I'm excited for it regardless of what everyone else thinks. And I really don't care about the spec race, and neither does Apple. They don't throw a 1440p display into their phones. Why? It is much harder on the processor and GPU and you get minimal gains over 1080p. (The 750p in the 6s is inexcusable bough). The iPhone only has a weak 2 GB of RAM? Well, it performs better than Android phones with 3 GB. Only a dual-core processor? Still outperforms flagship Android phones with 4 and 8 core processors.

Apple provides a user experience, not a spec sheet. I don't care about the amount of cores my processor has or the megapixel count of the camera or the amount of RAM. As long as it performs well consistently, day in and day out, that's all that matters to me.

More improvements like additional RAM means more future proofing especially if follow iOS updates! I do not update my iOS and leave the same one that came with the iPhone unless there is bugs in the original iOS!

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
iPhone '7' is arriving soon and the whole damn thing is leaking worse than the Titanic (see
)
With such mind bending features like '3d touch' that were touted as the next coming of Jesus...
How will Apple spin this 'best iPhone ever' I wonder?

Waterproofing like its competitors have for years?

Increased RAM to a whoping 3GB's?

Some kind of mildly upgraded 'retina' (bwhaha maybe retina for the seeing impaired) screen that is still miles behind some of it's competitors?

The removal of the headphone jack so you can get your golden beats bluetooth earphones.. (Not included).

The return of the 16GB base capacity (I dare you to defend this crap)?

Dual cameras for better pictures?

Wireless charging (not likely yet)?

When did Apple stop being a technological leader?

Not to worry! IPhone 8 will right all the wrongs, just like the second gen Macbook added a second port after enough user feedback.. Not.

Bottom line for Apple: make enough questionable choices and no amount of Apple magic (tm) will save you.

Many of the millions out there (including me) that love their iPhones don't love them because they are first with a thing, or because they have the best specific spec on another thing, or whatever.

That really misses the point of an iPhone.

I've had opportunities, especially over the last few months, to use several family member and friends Android devices. They're so far behind on user experience, I'd weep if I had to use one for any length of time. But, more importantly than that, my iPhone ties in seamlessly with the rest of my devices and services. Just one specific example of many: If I'm out running errands and texting my daughter, when I get to my computer I can carry on with that text conversation from the computer, dragging photos into it, etc, then go back to the phone when I get up to do something. It's all totally transparent. Switching to an Android device, I lose all that (unless I want to start digging into third party apps, or other clunky solutions that require me to install things all over the place).

When iPhone users get upgrades to their device (eg. extra waterproofing, enhanced display, faster CPU/GPU, etc), we don't give a rat's behind if that upgrade ranks higher than the latest offering from Samsung or HTC. We're happy that we get all that Apple's integrated hardware and services have to offer and that new upgrade.

For my money, there is nothing out there that gives me the complete experience, sun-up to sundown, that an iPhone does.

Last edited:

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
More improvements like additional RAM means more future proofing especially if follow iOS updates! I do not update my iOS and leave the same one that came with the iPhone unless there is bugs in the original iOS!

Don't get me wrong, I definitely do appreciate more RAM and internal improvements, but I'm not so hung up on those like some people are. Some people only look at the spec sheet and laugh at 2 GB of RAM when in reality, it performs better than other devices that have 3-4 GB.

Rocket Man

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
Sorry but spec sheets DO sell products. Especially when said products are often significantly cheaper. Ask Sony about their Playstation 4...

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I definitely do appreciate more RAM and internal improvements, but I'm not so hung up on those like some people are. Some people only look at the spec sheet and laugh at 2 GB of RAM when in reality, it performs better than other devices that have 3-4 GB.

RAM is cheap now a days but Apple still cheaper-skate and not giving iPhone users more. Apple can use this for future iPhone models as a "major" feature to upgrade! LOL!

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I just want a camera that will match the Galaxy's camera. Also, a screen that will match the screen. DAMMIT just give me iOS in the note 7 body! I'm so torn on what I want next! Anxiously waiting to see what the next iphone is going to bring

Reactions: ABC5S

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Sorry but spec sheets DO sell products. Especially when said products are often significantly cheaper. Ask Sony about their Playstation 4...

I would not equate that to an apples to apples comparison. Would you not agree that a majority of those who invest in a PS4 or and XBOX are 'gamers'. They know exactly what they are looking for and they eyeball those spec sheets to make that informed decision on which will be best.

This world is full of people just like my wife who has never set foot in a Best Buy or Carrier store let alone an Apple store. She doesn't know nor care how many GB ram her phone has or what resolution the screen is. To her it is an iPhone, it is what she is used to, there is no learning curve, and thus that is what she wants. End of story. Those types of consumers I would wager FAR outweigh the geeks in here eyeballing the rumors and specs of forthcoming devices.

Reactions: speedyyellow

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Certain people get too caught up on specs that generally add nothing to the user experience. Which is what should be your focus, user experience.

And if you are not happy with it you should move on to something you are happy with. Life is too short to be unhappy with the things you own.

Manufacturers will throw these specs in your face and the weak minded fall victim to them. Remember megapixels? Who cares how bad the photo looked it's got 20 megapixels!! Again specs over user experience. Finally those manufacturers realized the ruse was up and have literally reduced the cameras megapixels to have a camera that is competitive (sometimes better) than the iPhone.

is the current iPhone screen subpar? Maybe some will consider that. Enter 4K screens on smartphones!! What again the public is wising up and many manufacturers have backed down the resolution? You don't say.

We are all different. Buy for specs if that is what interest you, I don't fault people for that. Just don't be baffled why I or others still prefer an iPhone even with its lackluster specs.

Reactions: Flow39

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
)

How will Apple spin this 'best iPhone ever' I wonder? Really no need to spin since it will indeed be the best iPhone ever. I mean, it is the newest more improved right?

Waterproofing like its competitors have for years? Never in 8 years have I dropped my phone in water nor needed to take it in water. Guess I miss the mind boggling value of this feature.

Increased RAM to a whoping 3GB's? Even with 2GB of ram Apple's phones have outperformed competition with 4GB or more of RAM. Plenty of links on the internet to demonstrate this. So a married system with 3GB will likely serve the same. Let's not confuse paper specs with real-world performance.

Some kind of mildly upgraded 'retina' (bwhaha maybe retina for the seeing impaired) screen that is still miles behind some of it's competitors? 1080p on a 4.7" device and quad HD on a 5.5" device, as being rumored, would be more than adequate. Miles behind competitors? Hmmmmmm.....

The removal of the headphone jack so you can get your golden beats bluetooth earphones.. (Not included). All sets of headphones and earbuds I own are Bluetooth. Just like people bitched about the switch to a lightning cable, they will adjust. This is no different.

The return of the 16GB base capacity (I dare you to defend this crap)? Rumors suggest 32GB base. No need to defend.

Dual cameras for better pictures? Yep

Wireless charging (not likely yet)? Until wireless charging occurs over the air, I see no need to lay my phone on a pad to charge. I often use my phone while it is charging.

When did Apple stop being a technological leader? If you mean when did Apple decide to take a step back and not release things that are half baked just to be the first in the industry....this began years ago.

Bottom line for Apple: make enough questionable choices and no amount of Apple magic (tm) will save you. They will sell millions over millions of the new iPhone just like every other release. Like it or hate it, the whole "Apple is doomed" nonsense has been alive and well since the iPhone 5. Every year around this time these types of posts happen and then Apple sells millions and all you hear are crickets.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I just don't get this philosophy. Ignoring updates means ignoring one of the main advantages that iOS has over Android. Namely, regular, timely OS updates to offer new features and increased security. Most Android devices are lucky if they get even 2 major OS updates, and usually they're a year or more behind the current version unless it's a Nexus. This is why you see headlines about 1 billion Android devices vulnerable to security flaws, because that's how many still don't have access to the latest software.

Updating your OS one, two, or dare I say even three generations beyond what it came with is not going to ruin its performance. I've even had a 3GS running iOS 6 (the highest OS it could install. Originally shipped with iOS 3, I believe). Contrary to popular belief, Apple does not want their devices to run poorly.

Sorry for the mini rant. :oops:

Reactions: I7guy and Flow39

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
If you are somebody who is obsessed with numbers on a spec sheet you shouldn't be buying Apple products.

MC355

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
The leap from the 5s to 6 and 6 plus was huge because the iPhone's got bigger. However there's not that wow factor or must have factor, in my opinion, between the 6s and 7.

Now for people on the 5s or below, it be a no brainer to get the 7. However if you have a 6 or 6s I don't see many features in the 7 that makes it a must buy. Just my 2 cents

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I just don't get this philosophy. Ignoring updates means ignoring one of the main advantages that iOS has over Android. Namely, regular, timely OS updates to offer new features and increased security. Most Android devices are lucky if they get even 2 major OS updates, and usually they're a year or more behind the current version unless it's a Nexus. This is why you see headlines about 1 billion Android devices vulnerable to security flaws, because that's how many still don't have access to the latest software.

Updating your OS one, two, or dare I say even three generations beyond what it came with is not going to ruin its performance. I've even had a 3GS running iOS 6 (the highest OS it could install. Originally shipped with iOS 3, I believe). Contrary to popular belief, Apple does not want their devices to run poorly.

Well you have your opinion on this and that is fine. But from time to time I bring my iPhone, iPad iTouch to an Apple Store to compare speed with the current modelss and their iOS. Mine runs the okay and not as fast as the current models but it the same as when I purchase it so it okay for me! Just guarding my interest! I going to maybe upgrade my iPhone 6 but we will see if they have a space black color 7!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Watch what you say, there are those who firmly believe Apple has a "planned obsolescence " strategy.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Well you have your opinion on this and that is fine. But from time to time I bring my iPhone, iPad iTouch to an Apple Store to compare speed with the current modelss and their iOS. Mine runs the okay and not as fast as the current models but it the same as when I purchase it so it okay for me! Just guarding my interest! I going to maybe upgrade my iPhone 6 but we will see if they have a space black color 7!

How is that a useful comparison if you're comparing to different hardware?

Whatever floats your boat but here's a suggestion; if you're going to get a new phone anyway try updating your 6 to the latest OS first. What do you have to lose if you're planning to replace it anyway? You may find that having a new OS with new features can be like having a new phone. It's your phone and your money so do what you want, but if you ask me, you've been depriving yourself of improvements for no good reason.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I couldn't agree more. The thing is the ops thinking could be applied to any manufactured product. I don't want to over-aggrandize my enthusiasm, but when the hoopla subsides I'll go into the Apple Store, play with the models and decide what i want.

Reactions: Flow39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.