Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
On both my Air 2 and iPhone 6 there has been an significant slowdown since iOS 8.My iPad Pro is unaffected since iOS 9 Prolly coz of planned obsolescence policy and iPad Pro is Apple's latest tablet

Yeah, that must be it. Didn't the Air 2 and iPhone 6 ship with iOS 8?

The planned obsolescence theory doesn't hold up. First of all, clearly not everyone experiences this "significant slowdown". Secondly, when most people upgrade their phones has typically been tied to the conditions of their carrier contract more than anything. If you're in a two year contract, chances are you aren't buying a phone for two years. The only thing purposely diminishing the performance of a person's phone will therefore do is make it less likely that they will want another iPhone when it's time to upgrade. Apple and carriers are even trying to get consumers into yearly upgrade plans. Planned obsolescence makes no sense when most your customers have already agreed to upgrade on a predetermined schedule anyway. Which brings me to the third point; Apple's biggest advantage is the perception that iPhones are perhaps the smoothest phones, offering the best user experience out there. It's certainly not more features or better specs that attract people. It's not even the ecosystem since most consumers still use Windows PCs. So if only the latest iOS hardware runs buttery smooth with the latest software, why do people keep buying iOS devices and why to they maintain their reputation for excellent performance even as new iOS releases exhibit incredibly high adoption rates?

I'm not saying that older devices may not start to struggle with newer OSs, but that can't really be helped. But overall, I think that you get more out of your device if you don't deprive yourself of the latest software advances. Otherwise it seems to me like having a nice pair of shoes that you never wear outside because you want them to always remain in the same condition.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is true.The fact that they release a atrociously handicapped 16GB model says it all?Who was the moron who thought 4k and 16 gigs would meld together?A couple of music games and videos and it's down to 2 gigs and all you get is like a whopping 3 minutes of 4K on the iPhone .Really smart decision Timmy
In 4Q2015, Apple sold 4x as many 64gb phones as 16Gb phones. At $100 per pop more. Pretty smart decision after all.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It really is sad when you think about it that Apple is no longer class leading as it used to be.Back in 2010 it was class leading in nearly every category.Now it's just copying the competition and the fans don't realise it.
For example,the iPhone does not need more than 1gb and android is a inefficient os and hence it needs 4 gigs and suddenly when Apple starts using 4gb it's a minimum requirement
Same goes for OLED.According to some its crap because Samsung uses it and is not Color accurate with pen tile layout.That same OLED is about to be revolutionary once it's placed on the iPhone 8
You're right about one thing, there is a lot of copying going on, but it's not Apple. And I think one billion devices speaks to class leading. Looking forward to iPhone 7 plus 128.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I just don't get this philosophy. Ignoring updates means ignoring one of the main advantages that iOS has over Android. Namely, regular, timely OS updates to offer new features and increased security. Most Android devices are lucky if they get even 2 major OS updates, and usually they're a year or more behind the current version unless it's a Nexus. This is why you see headlines about 1 billion Android devices vulnerable to security flaws, because that's how many still don't have access to the latest software.

Updating your OS one, two, or dare I say even three generations beyond what it came with is not going to ruin its performance. I've even had a 3GS running iOS 6 (the highest OS it could install. Originally shipped with iOS 3, I believe). Contrary to popular belief, Apple does not want their devices to run poorly.

Sorry for the mini rant. :oops:
Even nexus devices are not supported for that long. We have nexus phones and tablets released in 2013 and they will NOT be updated to android N this year when is pretty poor. The only real advantage of having a nexus in terms of updates is that you get updates straight away but that's it. You still only get two years worth of updates.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Even nexus devices are not supported for that long. We have nexus phones and tablets released in 2013 and they will NOT be updated to android N this year when is pretty poor. The only real advantage of having a nexus in terms of updates is that you get updates straight away but that's it. You still only get two years worth of updates.
Nexus devices have a ton of custom ROMS.The Galaxy Nexus from 2011 is running Marshmallow while iPad Mini is discontinued.The unofficial support for Nexus devices is longer than official support for iOS devices

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You're right about one thing, there is a lot of copying going on, but it's not Apple. And I think one billion devices speaks to class leading. Looking forward to iPhone 7 plus 128.
Waterproofing?Copied from Samsung
OLED?Copied from Samsung
Screen size?Copied from Samsung
iPhone body?Copied from HTF ONe M7
Fingerprint sensor?Copied from Motorola Atrix

I am looking forward to iPhone 7 as well but only because my iPhone 6 is a slow piece of hardware like a old lady on iOS 10

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Nexus devices have a ton of custom ROMS.The Galaxy Nexus from 2011 is running Marshmallow while iPad Mini is discontinued.The unofficial support for Nexus devices is longer than official support for iOS devices
But this requires the user to root the device and install custom roms. This is not official support from Google and if you brick your device you are on your own. Some users are not comfortable in rooting and flashing roms.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
I just updated my mini in my family to 9.3.4 a few days ago....

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
OLED?Copied from Samsung

I am looking forward to iPhone 7 as well but only because my iPhone 6 is a slow piece of hardware like a old lady on iOS 10
I agree with all except for the iPhone body. The iPhone body was copied from the iPod touch 5th generation released in 2012.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I never buy my phones because of high spec numbers. As long as it's fast and smooth, I don't care how much RAM there is in there or how much GHz the processor has.
For me the main factor for a new phone/device is user experience.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I just updated my mini in my family to 9.3.4 a few days ago....
The mini was released in 2012 and runs the latest software. The nexus 7 2012 was last updated in 2014 (lollipop).

We also have the original Galaxy note which was released in 2011 and was last updated to jelly bean in 2013. Whereas as the iPhone 4S was released in 2011 and runs the latest software.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I think there is only so much you can pack into a 2"x5"X.25" peice of glass and metal.

I'd like to see Apple improve their hardware realibility and software interface. Apple's hardware relibility with handheld devices is worse that ever in my anecdotal experience- and their customer support is not what it used to be. Apples software is becoming complex and unwieldy. The Music App is horrible (OS X iTunes is even worse).

Wireless charging would be nice... Let's see my Palm Pre from 2008ish offered that. Anyone remember that?

Speaking of which, the Palm WebOS was fantastic in its time. The hardware wasn't great and there were virtually no third party developers which is unfortunate. But WebOS was way ahead of its time. I wish Apple would adopt the multitasking/app switching system that had - which they somewhat have but its not as seamless.

It would be cool if Johnny Ives came up with a new design, I'm a bit tired of the same old design used repeatedly.

If Apple switches to the lightening audio jack, it seems like wireless charging is a must... But I doubt that. No thanks to buying a pair of garbage Beats headphones.

Reactions: Radon87000

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
OLED?Copied from Samsung

Samsung copies waterproofing, finger print reader, non removable battery, no sd card etc.

As for your phone, it's been determined either hardware issue or bad install.

You can't copy oled any more than lithium battery, or screen size any more than letter size paper etc. but nice try.

Last edited:

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
iPhone '7' is arriving soon and the whole damn thing is leaking worse than the Titanic (see
)
With such mind bending features like '3d touch' that were touted as the next coming of Jesus...
How will Apple spin this 'best iPhone ever' I wonder?

So, which killer feature are you loooking forward to the most?

Waterproofing like its competitors have for years?

Increased RAM to a whoping 3GB's?

Some kind of mildly upgraded 'retina' (bwhaha maybe retina for the seeing impaired) screen that is still miles behind some of it's competitors?

The removal of the headphone jack so you can get your golden beats bluetooth earphones.. (Not included).

The return of the 16GB base capacity (I dare you to defend this crap)?

Dual cameras for better pictures?

Wireless charging (not likely yet)?

When did Apple stop being a technological leader?

Not to worry! IPhone 8 will right all the wrongs, just like the second gen Macbook added a second port after enough user feedback.. Not.

Bottom line for Apple: make enough questionable choices and no amount of Apple magic (tm) will save you.
The distinct absence of a truly significant feature set means waiting till next year is a great choice.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
User experience can only make me loyal to a company that doesn't listen for so long...

I have no idea what this means... Isn't that why you buy anything? Man these jeans are really comfortable, but Levi's never listens to me, I'm going to stop wearing them... what?

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The distinct absence of a truly significant feature set means waiting till next year is a great choice.
I don't see truly significant featured on the competition either. Most are just incremental. But we'll have to wait. One mans incremental is another mans truly significant and one mans truly significant is another mans meh,:D

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Samsung copies waterproofing, finger print reader, non removable battery, no sd card etc.

As for your phone, it's been determined either hardware issue or bad install.

You can't copy oled any more than lithium battery, or screen size any more than letter size paper etc. but nice try.
The point is Apple copies.You are deflecting the point that Samsung also copies when I never said Samsung does not copy.Like it or not,Samsung was the pioneer of the big screen industry.Apple ridiculed them for their large screens and look what happened.

OLED is copied because this is just another instance of Apple mocking Samsung's screens only for the latter to be their prime supplier of the screens in question

My phone is not a bad install or a hardware flaw.I recently bought an iPad Pro and you wanna know something interesting?Zero lag.And I MEAN ZERO.My Air 2 is a horrible piece of hardware in comparison since 8.4.1

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The point is Apple copies.You are deflecting the point that Samsung also copies when I never said Samsung does not copy.Like it or not,Samsung was the pioneer of the big screen industry.Apple ridiculed them for their large screens and look what happened.

OLED is copied because this is just another instance of Apple mocking Samsung's screens only for the latter to be their prime supplier of the screens in question

My phone is not a bad install or a hardware flaw.I recently bought an iPad Pro and you wanna know something interesting?Zero lag.And I MEAN ZERO.My Air 2 is a horrible piece of hardware in comparison since 8.4.1
Talk about blatant copying, Samsung actually uses images of Apple Watch in its' application. It's on the front page you can check it out.

You do have a contrarian view of what copying means, considering Samsung has one of the worst reputations for blatant copying.

Also your iPad Air 2 is defective.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Talk about blatant copying, Samsung actually uses images of Apple Watch in its' application. It's on the front page you can check it out.

You do have a contrarian view of what copying means, considering Samsung has one of the worst reputations for blatant copying.

You are actually viewing companies based on patent APPLICATIONS knowing how TROLLISH those appications are in the US?.We have people suing for "Sky" name in Skydrive because they had it first.If we go by patent applications,Apple has a carbon copy (literally) of the Galaxy S7 Edge in the works considering they patented the edge display Samsung innovated

Samsung copying Apple is the past now.Both companies EQUALLY rip each other off

Also your iPad Air 2 is defective.
So all of a sudden 3 iOS devices running fine on iOS 8.4.1 became defective on iOS 9.Seems legit :rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
OLED?Copied from Samsung

A basic concept like waterproofing that has existed well outside of phones and well before Samsung or anything else isn't something that is "copied".

Screen size is a copy for someone? It's size of a screen, yet another fundamental concept that exists outside of any particular company.

OLED? There's no copying there, simply going with the technology that is mature enough and makes sense enough to go with. (Not to mention that so far nothing about OLED has applied to the iPhone anyway.)

And are you really saying that the fingerprint sensor that the Atrix has could be realistically compared to TouchID? If that was the case, TouchID would be a failure that people wouldn't be using and no other company would be pushing to do something similar.

Yes, companies copy, nothing new there, but what you bring up is mostly non-sequitur to that. There's reaching, and then there's really reaching. But, as usual, just par for the course.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I just want a camera that will match the Galaxy's camera. Also, a screen that will match the screen. DAMMIT just give me iOS in the note 7 body! I'm so torn on what I want next! Anxiously waiting to see what the next iphone is going to bring
Lol, I'm kind of the opposite. While I think the Note 7 is drop dead gorgeous, I trust Apple hardware more. Though they are slipping in quality and service if my husband's coworker's recent experience is anything to go by. Which was total hardware failure and a botched attempt by Apple to fix things for her while she was on a vacation. Poor woman lost all of the photos she had not had a chance to back up.

At any rate, I'm getting a Note 7 NOT for the specs, but for the unique features and abilities Samsung has given it above and beyond those provided by Android. I want the S-pen functionality.

I would love to see Apple do something to tie in with the Apple Pencil. As with the Note, people would have the option of using it or ignoring it according to their preferences.

I think right now the Note 7 promises to give me an interesting user experience. However, I don't trust Samsung to stand behind anything they sell. I'd be pleased to find out they are turning a corner as some of their customers claim, but I am not betting on it.

So I've been researching my insurance options. And I'm keeping my IPhone, too. I'm spending 2016 exploring my options. In 2017, I may throw all in with Apple or Android. Or continue to sit on the fence and use both. Heck, I may even try a Surface Phone if one ever gets marketed. But my husband is pretty mad at Microsoft business customer service right now so...maybe not. ;)

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
OLED?Copied from Samsung

If anything waterproofing of a phone was copied from the Sony Xperia Z line of devices in February 2013. I believe the first Samsung device was the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active in June 2013. The screen size is debatable, as the first large screen device I remember was the HTC EVO 4G in March 2010 with a 4.3" screen (massive at the time), then in May the Motorola Droid X with another 4.3". The review videos were hilarious. Lots of skinny jeans wearing people showing the phone bulge! Samsung was on the first Galaxy S phone with a 4" screen in 2010... It all went up from there.

Last edited:

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
What I don't understand is why folks get into such a pissing match over who came up with what first. OMG Samsung copied this....Apple copied that. If they didn't you would have some pretty half-ass phones since each one could only possess content it originally came up with and nothing more.

It is just so simple. They are phones. If one piques your interest? Buy it. If not? Don't. And the one you currently own? Use it. All of the squabbling over specs, resolutions, let downs, who did what first, etc is beyond silly at this point.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I too am not looking for specs, but I am looking for good functions that Apple does not have and Samsung does.

To name four of them:

F/1.7 lens
Fast focus
Always on screen info
Water resistant or waterproof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.