Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So is the following statement from the Apple website not true?

Nearly all iPhone models sold on apple.com are “unlocked” — which means your iPhone isn’t tied to a single carrier. Your iPhone will be locked to your carrier only if you choose carrier financing from AT&T or Sprint.

This seems accurate to me. I have Verizon and will be Paying full retail for the Verizon iPhone, therefore it will be unlocked. It must depend on how you finance the iPhone.

TheNewToMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
Dallas, TX
Does anyone knows if the ATT or T-mobile will be unlocked? if you use it in another carrier from other country or something like that?
Yes, it will be unlocked depending on your plan. I am on an AT&T GoPhone plan and replacing my current phone shows that I will have an unlocked iPhone 7 working on the AT&T.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
If you're on VZ or Sprint, and buy tomorrow via AUP, it's going to be carrier locked. Same with AT&T. Takes a few months before Apple starts selling unlocked versions. And even then, your only choice will be to pay outright, for an unlocked phone. Or do the 12 months free financing via Barclaycard.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Good call. It does appear we'll need to put in account information. Does this incentivize anyone else with AT&T to get the device through AT&T Next or the Apple Upgrade Program?

I plan on staying with AT&T for quite some time... But the resale value for the AT&T iPhone 7 does not look good. By going either the AT&T Next or the Apple Upgrade Program thru AT&T... the main issue would be choosing AT&T.

Reactions: ssl0408

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I prefer choices.

WHAT? The iPhone is one size fits all (not like all this gibberish about which iPhone for which carrier that US consumers are facing) - we have 3 major carriers and a slew of minors in Canada - you get to choose which carrier OR buy it outright from Apple.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I'm in the same boat, too. Are we sure we need to enter any Verizon account details when we purchase the Verizon phone? Would love to pop in my existing AT&T nano-SIM into a Verizon iPhone 7.
You need a Verizon account if you want to order online. Otherwise, you can walk into an Apple Store and buy one "device only".

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
This seems accurate to me. I have Verizon and will be Paying full retail for the Verizon iPhone, therefore it will be unlocked. It must depend on how you finance the iPhone.
Negative. Not until Apple starts selling the unlocked version. Or you convince VZW to unlock it for you.

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
I'd wager the reason that Apple is listing a bunch of the AT&T and T-Mobile MVNOs like Cricket and MetroPCS in with the Verizon/Sprint phones is because those customers buying them are more likely to want to switch carriers, specifically to Sprint and Boost/Virgin Mobile. Apple doesn't want to deal with the anger that results when someone finds the $700 iPhone they bought (or, worse, had to chunk buy out from failure to understand how this whole money lending system works) won't work on the cheap carrier they've now picked thanks to failure to pay bills and targeting advertising. They're already on a low-cost carrier, and more likely to run into a StraightTalk or Walmart-like MVNO using any number of the Big 4, including using CDMA. I'm giving Apple the benefit of the doubt here: I think it likely they really ARE thinking of their customers here, being pro-consumer.

Long and short: don't buy a Sprint iPhone. Buy the Verizon model if you're playing this game, the FCC mandated their "unlock". Sprint is a terrible company, and if you get a locked iPhone good luck on getting them to unlock it. Truly, a place in Dante's Hell for the people who run that company. Also, good luck taking a CDMA phone TO Sprint, invariably they'll tell you that they can't register it, even if it is clean. They want to lock you in by selling you a locked phone. See prior point. (Verizon has come far on this issue, surprisingly.) Really, just don't use Sprint. Just don't. Their network sucks and their plans are that cheap because they're desperate and they're hoping you're stupid. Seriously. I can't stress this enough, DO NOT BE A SPRINT CUSTOMER.

(For the record, I'm NOT a Sprint customer. I had been a very happy Sprint customer, however, about 20 years ago when they first rolled out digital service. I was never personally unhappy with them. I despiiiiiise AT&T. LOATHE THEM. But I've watched how the modern Sprint treats its customers and how it advertises; at least AT&T is willing to SHOW YOU WITH THEIR LOGO that they're Darth Vader. Sprint is just shady, definitely Emperor Palpatine, Darth Sidious. And though I despise AT&T, I'm on their network. Because it mostly works, has significantly better coverage in my area than T-Mobile, and the price is much more reasonable than Verizon. I'll side with Vader over Sidious any day. "The enemy you know." Oh, and perhaps ironically, resale value of locked Sprint phones is crap at the trade-in services, but surprisingly high on Craigslist. Who'da'thunkit?)

Last edited:
Reactions: vjl323

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
I have a feeling the article's advice...
"Ultimately, the most obvious choice should be to purchase a Verizon or Sprint model, even if you are an AT&T or T-Mobile customer"
is going to cause people to be in for a rude awakening when they try to activate a phone requiring a Verizon account when all they have is an ATT/Tmobile SIM. Of course I'd love to be wrong on this (since of course it is only natural to want the device that provides more network options), but I'm not seeing any proof otherwise, only speculation.

Crj73

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Just got off the phone with Apple if you buy during the pre order specifically the AT&T or TMobile versions you will not get the version that works with Verizon or Sprint. BUT if you buy under the Apple upgrade program you are technically buying an unlocked phone. So all you would need to do is use your Apple Care (which must be purchased as part of the program) and identify your desire to use the CDMA function and they would give the correct model for that feature to be accessible. Otherwise, you would need to wait a couple weeks for the unlocked phone to show up as an option on Apple's online store. Hope that makes sense.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Negative. Not until Apple starts selling the unlocked version. Or you convince VZW to unlock it for you.

If I am Verizon Customer and pay for the Verzon unlocked iPhone in full on the Apple Store online, it will work on their network, correct?

Edit:See @whyamihere post above. They are correct.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I'm probably going to get Captain Obvious'd for this but I don't have the time to sift through the rest of the thread...

I'm planning to order tonight during pre-order, I'm on T-Mobile but want to have a CDMA compatible iPhone. So do I just order a Sprint or Verizon iPhone that's paid in full so it comes unlocked and pop my T-Mobile SIM when I get it next week?

My iPhone 5 was purchased on contract through AT&T when I originally bought it in 2012 and I had to call AT&T for an unlock when I ditched them for T-Mobile two years ago. I won't have to do that again with a Sprint or Verizon iPhone if I order tonight through Apple will I?

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
Im ordering my phone tonight. heres my dilema... im going to SOUTH korea in november for a month and was planing on getting a pre paid sim for the phone. heres my problem SK is one of the few countries that uses CDMA. I have AT&T and was gonna just order through the next program because I love the simplicity of the upgrade process. anyways. what do I do now?

mannyotr13

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
I'm probably going to get Captain Obvious'd for this but I don't have the time to sift through the rest of the thread...

I'm planning to order tonight during pre-order, I'm on T-Mobile but want to have a CDMA compatible iPhone. So do I just order a Sprint or Verizon iPhone that's paid in full so it comes unlocked and pop my T-Mobile SIM when I get it next week?

My iPhone 5 was purchased on contract through AT&T when I originally bought it in 2012 and I had to call AT&T for an unlock when I ditched them for T-Mobile two years ago. I won't have to do that again with a Sprint or Verizon iPhone if I order tonight through Apple will I?
From what I've gathered, that won't be possible because in order to order the Verizon phone online, you will need to already have a Verizon account (that you will need to enter during the order process). I hope I am wrong, but that's what I understand.

uofawildcats96

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
Will the unlocked phones that Apple sells through the annual upgrade program support both standards?
They don't sell a specific phone through the annual upgrade program. They sell a Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint phone to you that has been unlocked. Which one depends on which carrier you have, as you have to activate the phone in-store upon purchase.

madman555

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2009
If you don't have Verizon, I don't think you can select Verizon and complete the checkout process (even if you are paying the full amount). The reason is they ship the phone with a sim card with the phone number so it's going to ask for a Verizon account. I think it's going to take a couple of months before you'll be able to order the 7 without the sim card. This has nothing with the phone being unlocked or not.

Reactions: ssl0408

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You should be happy that you can choose between those 2 models.
Meanwhile, the rest of the world is screwed, because my iPhone 7 won't work with Verizon when I travel to the U.S. Well done Apple!

Unless you're traveling to a cow pasture in the middle of Montana where Verizon only has CDMA coverage, it should still work on their LTE network.

Reactions: Cristinamacrumor

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Just got off the phone with Apple if you buy during the pre order specifically the AT&T or TMobile versions you will not get the version that works with Verizon or Sprint. BUT if you buy under the Apple upgrade program you are technically buying an unlocked phone. So all you would need to do is use your Apple Care (which must be purchased as part of the program) and identify your desire to use the CDMA function and they would give the correct model for that feature to be accessible. Otherwise, you would need to wait a couple weeks for the unlocked phone to show up as an option on Apple's online store. Hope that makes sense.
Well that's a bummer. I plan on using the AUP. I guess it really doesn't matter though. I'm not looking to change carriers anytime soon and also if you are on the AUP, you can't sell your phone, so it doesn't matter about resale value.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
This is good to know, but then again I always buy Verizon iPhones and use it on T-Mo.
How do you get the Verizon phone? I've read you need to have a Verizon account just to buy the Verizon iPhone from Apple even if you're buying it outright.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
They don't sell a specific phone through the annual upgrade program. They sell a Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint phone to you that has been unlocked. Which one depends on which carrier you have, as you have to activate the phone in-store upon purchase.
You do not have to activate the phone in store, according to an Apple customer service rep I spoke with this morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.