Carrier iPhone 7 Pre-Ordering: AT&T vs Verizon vs Sprint vs Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewdestinyX, Aug 10, 2016.

1. NewdestinyX, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

NewdestinyX macrumors 6502a

I didn't dare start one of the AT&T, Verizon or Sprint or Apple Pre-Order threads when we're still several weeks away.. but I thought it was probably time to prepare ourselves for just a few weeks from now. If there are already several threads about this - moderators please add my question to one of them.

So here's my main question.. So much agida last couple of years with the ordering from AT&T online thing.. Some people getting very long Shipping time waits after getting in right after midnight, 1am, 2am or 3am depending on your time zone in US.. How is everyone ordering this year? Is through Apple the best way.. Through our carrier's online stores?

Anything we need to watch out for this year if we want our phones on opening day?

There's no more 2 year contract with at least AT&T right? Is the ordering through Apple for a carrier locked phone still possible if you're on NEXT with AT&T?

Let's get the chatter started....

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'd suggest ordering straight from Apple. Most people have had better luck going through them than a carrier website. I remember for the 6/6+, AT&T screwed up big time and a ton of people weren't able to get their phones until 1-2 months after launch.

So yeah, pre-ordering through Apple is probably the best bet and is what I'd do.

I'd order immediately after pre-orders open, not even 1 minute later. For the Apple Watch, I was 7 minutes late on my pre-order and I wasn't able to get the model I originally wanted. The Space Gray Sport (my original choice) was super popular and the shipping dates slipped from launch day to 2-3 months out within just minutes of pre-orders opening. I'd assume the same thing would happen for the phones. Order ASAP!

3. NewdestinyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm always up at 3 AM on pre-order night… And always have my order completed by 3:01 at the latest. Last year the Verizon site especially the business enterprise site was clogged up for a couple hours. Apple site and the AT&T site were moving along pretty well.

The AT&T site was actually opened at 2:51 AM. My order was completed by 2:53 AM

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've changed the title to be more describing, there's nothing wrong with asking which way is the best. It's a bit too early for a general pre-order thread as this would likely die before the announcement and pre-orders begin.

5. Alexrat1996 Suspended

Can someone help me I want to order two iPhone 7 through apple website will apple cancel both iPhones order if I order two or should I order it separate

6. avanpelt macrumors 68030

It's nearly impossible to say which route is best on a consistent basis. All it takes is for one of the sites to go down unexpectedly or not go live at the proper time and the game plan changes.

7. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I've always preordered my iPhones straight from Verizon's site. Never had an issue and always got my iPhone on launch day. Even got the gold 5S, on launch day...something some said couldn't be done :) I've never gone the :apple:.com route

8. comptr macrumors 65816

The real question is weather apples servers will be able to handle the traffic all at once or we going to have the same issues like we did with the iPhone 6 & 6 + pre-orders and the apple watch pre-orders ? Also how much inventory are tthey going to have.

9. NewdestinyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay.. So for those of us with AT&T on NEXT already and this is our first year we will get to turn our phone in for a new one How will AT&T handle that on preorder night? Will they just expect us to eventually mail our phones back to them or they'll charge us for it?

10. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

I wondered then when I was gonna switch over. I think you may have to purchase in store but not exactly sure.

11. NewdestinyX, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

NewdestinyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine they'll leave all of us (AT&T NEXT trade in folks) out of the Pre-Order process.

12. comptr macrumors 65816

I wonder if carriers like Verizon are going to move customers upgrade date a few days earlier like they have done in the past for customers who still are on 2 year deals, since Verizon still offers them to current customers.

13. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I'm hoping the same thing from Verizon. My upgrade date on my contract is Sept. 16. Moving that just a week earlier would be perfect :)

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Seasoned pros go straight from Apple. When you buy from the carriers, you get a tarnished product locked to the carrier a lot of the times. Just finance through Apple.

15. EezyE macrumors regular

I'm on the tail end of my 2 year contract with the 6. I got it on launch day in 2014. Verizon bumped my upgrade date yesterday making me eligible now. You may want to log into your Verizon account and check your status.

16. JohnApples macrumors 65816

This will be my first time ordering an iPhone through Apple. But I had a pleasant experience with the AppleWatch preorders so I'm feeling comfortable choosing their site again. My goal is to get a 7 preordered for in-store pickup so that I can trade my 6 in at the time of pickup and payment.

17. DadBod630 macrumors regular

I too am a seasoned pro at clicking buttons on a computer to buy stuff and I agree with this.

18. mrgossett macrumors 6502

Just did- No change. May give them a call and see if that does any good.

19. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I hope Apple paid you well for this misinformation.

Pre Ordering a minimum of four new iPhones for the family each year, since the original model, I order one from Verizon, two from AT&T and one from T-Mobile... our carrier's. Each have arrived the morning of launch day as promised. I don't mind that they're locked , it's simply no big deal.

20. Batman89 macrumors 6502

I don't think there's a "best" route. I remember when I ordered my 6 two years ago, the Verizon store actually opened around 11:54pm (PST) and I had my order in before midnight on Verizon's website. The Apple Store app is also one to consider.

Personally, I'll have a few browsers open, one on the Apple Store, one on the Carrier website, and one on the Apple Store App and whichever happens to load first, that's the route I'll go.

21. comptr, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

comptr macrumors 65816

Well I just checked my Verizon account, they did not bump up my upgrade date. My upgrade date is 9-19. I just called Verizon, it seems they will offer me early upgrade if I trade in my phone but I don't want to do that. So I will have to wait and see what they as we get closer to pre-order. I would hope Verizon would move up upgrade dates for people who are so close.

22. NewdestinyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I do too.. Though I also have Apple's and AT&T's iPhone apps open too. Last Sept - AT&T app was open at 2:51am EDT - had my order placed by 2:53 before Apple even opened up.

23. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

You can now order directly through Verizon's app, so I'm going to try that this year. Hopefully it's as easy, if not easier, than their website and compares to the speed of Apple's app.

I've always wanted to try ordering through Apple, however, I'm now doing device payments with Verizon which isn't an option through Apple's site.

24. EezyE macrumors regular

I need to correct my statement above as I was not clear and misspoke. My upgrade date still shows 9/19 but 3 of our lines, including mine, have "special offers" showing we can upgrade now to any 4g LTE device.

25. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I'd say the grey area is whether your current device is fully paid off or not by the date that you can preorder the new iPhone. If you started the AT&T Next plan on preorders when the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus was available to order, you should be at or almost done. My device is paid off, so I will be repeating my preorder process with Apple again. For those with a balance or who ordered slightly after the release date, I too wonder how AT&T/Apple will handle that. You may have to go through AT&T directly?

One thing I'd suggest for everyone planning to preorder through Apple is familiarize yourself with Apple's new Apple Store app, it's redesigned just a little and you don't want any navigation confusion on the night of preorders,
    especially if you're trying to snag the rumored space black iPhone
    :eek: