iPhone 7 Processor to Be Manufactured Solely by TSMC [Updated]

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
So this is the turning point: finally mobile chips will be using more advanced manufacturing technology than desktop chips. Yes, I'm looking at you, Intel.
FWIW: After 7nm Quantum Uncertainty kicks in and get ready for tricks and gimmicks until carbon based polymers arrive to breach the barrier. You won't see improvements at 10nm to warrant people to be bragging versus 14nm FinFET.

Unless the Semiconductor industry has been hiding this news for years, this 10nm hype won't materialize for several more years.

TSMC is fixing their 16nm which is actually 20nm planar with FinFET strapped on presently. You think this goes live in June then people are truly dead where it matters most: between their ears.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Excellent news. Looking forward to getting my iPhone 7 this year with one less piece of Samsung hardware inside.
You need to get out more.
[doublepost=1455156784][/doublepost]
So this is the turning point: finally mobile chips will be using more advanced manufacturing technology than desktop chips. Yes, I'm looking at you, Intel.
The turning point will be when mobile chips are as powerful as desktop chips.

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
While TSMC's 10-nanometer process is one reason the company was awarded with a deal over rival Samsung, another likely has to do with the company's more advanced device packaging techniques, which allow for better power performance and efficiency.
How does Samsung possibly swing and miss on this? That type of manufacturing is their bread and butter. If true, this would be a huge loss for the Seoul chaebol.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Watch analysts spin this as a negative for Apple, however.
Its hard to spin coz previous issues is TSMC is better than Samsung. Made me wonder if those stories is created for the future.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
California, United States
If you were a savvy consumer you'd be more worried about getting the absolute best hardware in your phone that you can get...

But carry on waving your Apple pom poms....
Which looks like I am getting this fall:

While TSMC's 10-nanometer process is one reason the company was awarded with a deal over rival Samsung, another likely has to do with the company's more advanced device packaging techniques, which allow for better power performance and efficiency.
Sounds great to me.

Reactions: Cayden and DCW

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Excellent news. Looking forward to getting my iPhone 7 this year with one less piece of Samsung hardware inside.
You need to get out more.
[doublepost=1455156784][/doublepost]

The turning point will be when mobile chips are as powerful as desktop chips.
Foxconn is buying Sharp. Soon.. Apple will remove Samsung display.

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Apple getting back at Samsung, clearly. Oh well. Samsung's got a big enough portfolio to make cash in other areas.
Apple is a huge customer. This will hurt.
[doublepost=1455160058][/doublepost]
If you were a savvy consumer you'd be more worried about getting the absolute best hardware in your phone that you can get...

But carry on waving your Apple pom poms....
If you were a savvy consumer you'd realize that Apple has always used the best hardware possible, even when it's been from Samsung, since the beginning. But carry on doing whatever it is you do.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Who makes the chips in Apple devices is not something that keeps me up at night. If they work as Apple advertises then thumbs up, if not thumbs down. Simple.
You must be new here. We don't care if the products work the way Apple intends them to, we care about Apple not using Samsung, Google or Microsoft. Even more importantly, we don't care about ourselves as consumers. All we care about is how much money Apple makes so we can brag about it on various Internet forums.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
To be honest I'm stunt that Samsung haven't sued Apple for chipgate, TSMC chip was fully optimized while the Samsung chip wasn't, that's why a 16 nanometer had better performance than a 14 nanometer

Well I'm guessing Samsung will release a 5 nanometer by the end 2016?