iPhone 7 Processor to Be Manufactured Solely by TSMC [Updated]

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I find it more important that iPhone 7 makes 32GB standard and that the small model has similar features as the plus model. As long as the spec's are within a few percentage points I could care less who makes the chip.

Reactions: c0ppo

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So TMC will be the sole supplier for the iPhone 7, chip production will start off slowly in the second half of 2016 and ramp up in 2017. Perfect! Now the iPhone 7 will be in short supply for 6 months after launch creating a mass shortage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moorepheus

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
Update: This article has been updated with information from TSMC's recent conference call, in which they stated that they hoped 10-nanometer production would ramp up in 2017 after getting a slow start in the second half of 2016.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Processor to Be Manufactured Solely by TSMC [Updated]
That's gotta hurt Samsung.

Watch analysts spin this as a negative for Apple, however.
[doublepost=1455163693][/doublepost]
Whoa... #chipgate was fixed with software?
Yes apparently, people had stopped complaining

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apparently so, people had stopped complaining
ChipGate... the issue was two different processors from two different chip manufacturers.

You can't fix that with software.

I was thinking more along the lines of... it wasn't that big of a deal to begin with.

But you know how the internet is... rabble, rabble, rabble... then people forget :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HVDynamo

rp2011

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2010
I thought Apple didn't like to put all their eggs in one basket.
When there is only one goose laying the golden eggs what are you going do?

If TSMC is doing something no else can, that's a good place for any company. That's where every company wants to be. Once you are there, like Intel was, it's not a commodity anymore. That's when everybody stops and waits for Intel.
I'm not saying that's where TSMC is right now, but if they one-upped Samsung here, that's not bad.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
ChipGate... the issue was two different processors from two different chip manufacturers.

You can't fix that with software.

I was thinking more along the lines of... it wasn't that big of a deal to begin with.

But you know how the internet is... rabble, rabble, rabble... then people forget :)
Having two different chips was bad idea, but i agree Internet usually likes to make big fuzz out of small things

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016
So Apple indirectly admits that Samsung chips in 6S were horse.....raddish!!

Going to 10nm?

Jonny "Mr. Thin" Ives approves.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
The turning point will be when mobile chips are as powerful as desktop chips.
Don't laptops outsell desktops at this point? And since the A9 is comparable to laptops currently being sold new (low level ones, but still laptops that can be found in stores), haven't we reached this point?
[doublepost=1455166658][/doublepost]
I find it more important that iPhone 7 makes 32GB standard and that the small model has similar features as the plus model. As long as the spec's are within a few percentage points I could care less who makes the chip.
How about Apple still makes a 16gb model but the 64gb model is just a $50 price increase? There is still room for 16gb for folks who do not use many Apps and who do not store large amounts of music, video or pictures on their phone. And really there are many reasons why one would not have to or want to store those data files on their phone. Two reasons that even a "power" user can get behind: the person uses cloud storage and streaming or the person carries a tablet for media consumption needs.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You need to get out more.
[doublepost=1455156784][/doublepost]

The turning point will be when mobile chips are as powerful as desktop chips.
Let's be honest, that's not going to happen because of physics.
[doublepost=1455167118][/doublepost]
So Apple indirectly admits that Samsung chips in 6S were horse.....raddish!!

Going to 10nm?

Jonny "Mr. Thin" Ives approves.
I think you're reading something or of nothing. I've never had a problem with my phone and it has a processor from Samsung.

trichardlin

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
California
and then TSMC starts making their own phones, copying everything Apple does.
Dude, do you even know what a dedicated chip foundry is? Guess not.

From Wikipedia: a dedicated foundry will never compete directly with its fabless customers (obviating a common concern of fabless companies)...

Last edited:

trichardlin

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
California
I cant wait for another year of "delivery dates have slipped to 4-6 weeks after the first hour of pre-orders open. You would think they would have already learned what the demands are. Sigh
You do know that TSMC foundry business is at least 4x bigger than the Samsung one, right? (2013 numbers, by revenue).

PalmiNio

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Okay, can someone tell me what's next?
[ELI5] I mean we've reached to a 10nm chip stage, that would be even smaller perhaps 5nm in S model..
What happens in iPhone 8? Singularity?
No, it wont be 5nm next year.

The move will be from 10nm to 7nm at it will be at least 3 years between.
[doublepost=1455172139][/doublepost]
You do know that TSMC foundry business is at least 4x bigger than the Samsung one, right? (2013 numbers, by revenue).
Well TSMC does not produce under its own brand which Samsung does.

So as producer Samsung is second behind Intel and is projected to be the biggest in 16/17
[doublepost=1455172409][/doublepost]
Doesn't Apple partially or wholly own TSMC? This is just smart of Apple, because Apple had wanted to ditch Samsung for several years now, but couldn't because TSMC's manufacturing wasn't up to snuff when Apple first invested/purchased TSMC. Now that they are, this makes sense.
Nope, Apples has no ownership over TSMC and will no get it either.

Apple invested in a Chip Design company, not a foundery.
[doublepost=1455172618][/doublepost]
When there is only one goose laying the golden eggs what are you going do?

If TSMC is doing something no else can, that's a good place for any company. That's where every company wants to be. Once you are there, like Intel was, it's not a commodity anymore. That's when everybody stops and waits for Intel.
I'm not saying that's where TSMC is right now, but if they one-upped Samsung here, that's not bad.
Samsung will start massproduction of FinFET 10nm second half of 2016 so no, TSMC is not doing anything that no one else is doing.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
You must be new here. We don't care if the products work the way Apple intends them to, we care about Apple not using Samsung, Google or Microsoft. Even more importantly, we don't care about ourselves as consumers. All we care about is how much money Apple makes so we can brag about it on various Internet forums.
We? You talk like Gollum. 'I' just care if a phone actually performs or not. What kind of chip is being used is not important for me, as long it delivers. Bragging about phones is something I think only four years old do, but I understand that even "adults" are busy with bragging. I guess that everyone is entitled to have a hobby.
[doublepost=1455174873][/doublepost]
Who makes the chips in Apple devices is not something that keeps me up at night. If they work as Apple advertises then thumbs up, if not thumbs down. Simple.
I agree. Despite of the rhetoric between fans of various companies it's just as simple as what you're stating here.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I don't get all that hate against Samsung.

I want a phone with the best technologies... If Samsung does the best displays, take it, rather taking another brand less performant or less energy efficient... But I'm glad that TMSC can compete at this level, because this is like entering an arena with giants ready to eat you in one bite and until now concurrency made the products getting better so this is what the consumer expect :) so maybe next year Samsung comes with a super chip 5 nanometers producing it's own energy and self sufficient using the wanking movement of the customers speaking about their new phone... I agree Samsung copied some stuff, I feel this is more than a proof Apple is good for innovation but well I m still waiting for Apple pay...

Reactions: Moorepheus

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
These little phone CPUs seem quite good. Why not put 20 of them in a desktop ?

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
There will be plenty of other "gates" with the new iPhone, but at least we won't have a chip gate next time :)