iPhone 7 question

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Hello people I usually drain my iPhone 7 from 100% to zero at certain days I forget to bring my charger and I charge it 4-5 hrs later when I get home will that damage my battery ?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It will just count as one cycle as far as wear goes. The battery only has so many cycles before it starts to degrade.

In past post you have said that you charge your phone 3-4 times a day. Do not see any benefit in doing a complete discharge just for the heck of it, but it will not kill your battery as Apple has built technology into their phones to keep the user from really discharging it completely.

Is this you new replacement iPhone 7? If so hope it is perfect!

Last edited:

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
It will just count as one cycle as far as wear goes. The battery only has so many cycles before it starts to degrade.

In past post you have said that you charge your phone 3-4 times a day. Do not see any benefit in doing a complete discharge just for the heck of it, but it will not kill your battery as Apple has built technology into their phones to keep the user from really discharging it completely.

Is this you new replacement iPhone 7? If so hope it is perfect!
just asking since I been doing this on all my Iphones

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Settings > Battery

Take a look at battery usage. Apps near the top are more likely.
I did diagnostic at apple store last week and it passed and I will take a look into that
[doublepost=1476201207][/doublepost]Facebook and messenger notification off and my mail off

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
not going to say yet and other question my iphone 7 drained from 22 % to 2 % over night what can be drainning battery
You can see what apps used to power in the settings for your phone.

20% overnight is too much unless your phone was doing something in the background. My 7+ uses maybe 3-5% ov er night but then I have excellent cell coverage.

You have had several iPhones, did they drain that much?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I did diagnostic at apple store last week and it passed and I will take a look into that
[doublepost=1476201207][/doublepost]Facebook and messenger notification off and my mail off
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. If Facebook and messenger are at the top of that list, that's where I'd start looking.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
The battery life on my 7 is on point with my 6s+. Apple doesn't really let you drain all the way down, just to a minimal acceptable level. With the latest advances in batteries (ignore those guys over at Samsung for a min), there's little you can really do to hurt your phone's battery cycle - partial charges, complete drains....

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
You can see what apps used to power in the settings for your phone.

20% overnight is too much unless your phone was doing something in the background. My 7+ uses maybe 3-5% ov er night but then I have excellent cell coverage.

You have had several iPhones, did they drain that much?
it was not doing anything but battery lasted 8 hrs maybe Facebook and messenger was working in the background even with notifications off and yes all my iphones being doing this
[doublepost=1476201556][/doublepost]
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. If Facebook and messenger are at the top of that list, that's where I'd start looking.
Should I delete those app

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
it was not doing anything but battery lasted 8 hrs maybe Facebook and messenger was working in the background even with notifications off and yes all my iphones being doing this
What kind of cell coverage do you have. Very poor cell coverage can eat a battery quickly. Sit you phone where it sleeps and look at the cell coverage strength.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
only 1 to 2 bars only with 4g only
That is not real good and could explain part of the problem. Have you had just 4G before. When I am in an area with 1-2 bars 4G it would eat a good more battery. One of my customers is out in the sticks and when I spend a day there I use much more battery.

At my house and office I am 3 bars with LTE.
[doublepost=1476204323][/doublepost]
It would not hurt to delete Facebook for a day or two to make sure it is not the problem. I do not do social media but friends of mine say it eats their battery up like crazy.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
That is not real good and could explain part of the problem. Have you had just 4G before. When I am in an area with 1-2 bars 4G it would eat a good more battery. One of my customers is out in the sticks and when I spend a day there I use much more battery.

At my house and office I am 3 bars with LTE.
some times I get 4g lte 1 to 2 bars and yes I did have 4g before

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As an experiment, that might be a good idea. ALso, as someone else pointed out, you may be running into the battery issues due to your coverage. My phone typically gets better battery life when I'm connected to Wifi. I'd give that a try if it's an option.
[doublepost=1476204740][/doublepost]
do you recommend I try another charging cable that's what the support chat agent told me ?
Actually, is there a reason you don't plug your phone in and charge it overnight?