iPhone 7 screen smashed - what are the options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mildredop, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

My wife has smashed her iPhone 7 screen to the point that there are huge chunks missing. The screen started getting lines down it and now the screen is fading. Another couple of days and I reckon it'll give up altogether.

My wife is currently working 14 hour days and the earliest Apple Store appointment is not until next week.

The idea at the moment is to order a new iPhone and then return it once hers is repaired, but that seems a little dishonest - but she needs the phone for work.

And what happens with the repair? How long does it normally take an Apple store to repair in iPhone 7?

2. blaine07 macrumors 68000

Do you have AppleCare+? Cal in and do a express replacement? I couldn't imagine Apple Store taking more than a couple hours. Maybe if you call Apple Store and explain situation they'll find or make a opening or someone will cancel?

3. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Problem is my wife is at work - we're not sure how she can even get to the Apple Store during their opening hours.

No, no Apple Care+.

Looking online, "Make an appointment at an Apple Store or one of our many Apple authorized service locations. In most cases, we might need to send your iPhone to an Apple Repair Center. If we do, your iPhone will be ready for pickup in approximately one week." The screen is so badly smashed, I reckon we should expect it to need to be sent away.

Will Apple gladly allow us to return a new iPhone once the other one is repaired?

4. blaine07 macrumors 68000

I believe return policy is 14 days no questions asked? I mean I wouldn't recommend renting one but you have to do what you have to do. Sounds like you need to keep it and have a spare around your house though

5. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Totally agree, which is why I have my old Galaxy S4 in a drawer. My wife just won't entertain the idea of using an Android phone for a week though.

6. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

If you are within the 60days since you purchased the device you could apply for the Apple Care+ online and then do the screen replacement. That way you'll only pay $129+$29 instead and still get to have extended warranty for future. Or pay $129+$99 and get a replacement instantly without having to wait.

7. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Really good idea - thanks. Currently confused by this in the T&Cs: "Express Replacement Service is not available under the screen replacement excess fee."

Anyone know how quick the express service is?

8. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

In my humble opinion both of these ideas are dishonest.

You can get a 5s at Walmart for $159 (give or take) and a month of pay as you go. You will have a backup iPhone in the end.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yeah, that would be against the terms and conditions:
    http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusnaen.html
    IMG_0751.JPG

Also, I don't know what it can/cannot detect, but a remote diagnostic will be run on your device before you are remotely granted AC+ after the fact.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

+10 for having a spare.

11. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

As long as the diagnostic doesn't require user input much around the screen it will get through but then again it's worth a try. I know it sounds dishonest but it's an option and upto the OPs discretion if they want to go that way.

12. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Good find. I think it'd look suspicious anyway. The phone needs repairing asap, so we'd need to buy Apple Care and immediately sort the repair.

The buy a new one, repair old one, then return new one within 14 days for a refund looks like the most likely option.

13. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Isn't it against forum rules to suggest dishonest actions? Can't search right now but I think it is.

14. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Which is why I decided not to go down the Apple Care route.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes. Flag and mods will sort out.

16. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Use a spare phone or buying a cheap PAYG phone until you/she can get to the apple store to repair it would be the simplest and most honest solution.

17. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Good wife ;)

OP, if you're using an iPhone, why not let her use yours and you suffer with the Galaxy for a few days while you take her 7 to the Genius Bar?

18. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't have an iPhone so that's not an option.

19. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

And so is jailbreaking which is a violation of the iOS end-user license agreement yet it is supported and openly discussed in the forums. Would that not make it hypocritical to choose what's honest or dishonest when they both violate agreements?

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Can you honestly not see the difference between voiding one's warranty by jailbreakig a device and committing fraud to obtain said warranty? Or are you being coy?

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

@Thor_1 I agree the AC buying after the screen is broken fraud.

But buying a iphone to rent it for 14 days is not dishonest or anything. 14 day return policy no questions asked. Renting is perfectly fine.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Apples remote diagnostics can tell if the screen is cracked. It's been reported here before.

23. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Instead of looking for answers from this forum, you should really give Apple a call, explain your situation and see what they could offer.

This will be the quickest, most direct and accurate way to find out your options.

24. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

You really can't see the difference?