iPhone 7 Series is Faster Than Any MacBook Air Ever Made

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 15, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Yesterday, John Gruber at Daring Fireball highlighted just how well Apple's A10 Fusion chip found in its iPhone 7 stands up to the competition in terms of raw speed.

[​IMG]
    (Image taken from Daring Fireball.)

Looking at Geekbench results for single and multi-core performance across a range of smartphones, Gruber noted that the iPhone 7 series beats all newcomers on every score, including Samsung's new Galaxy S7 and Note 7 Android phones.

More impressively perhaps, the A10 Fusion processor scores faster overall results than every MacBook Air Apple has ever made, only once falling behind a multi-core score recorded for the early 2015 MacBook Air, which is powered by an Intel Core i7 and scores 5650, just edging the iPhone 7's result of 5630. Still, the laptop can't keep up with the A10 chip's raw single-core performance (2989 compared to 3261). Apple's latest flagship phone also performs comparably to an early 2013 MacBook Pro, powered by an Intel Core i5.

Apple has invested heavily in its Ax-series of processors, with some commentators and rumors suggesting it could eventually transition an ARM-based processor to future MacBooks. You can learn more about the technology behind Apple's A10 Fusion chip in MacRumors' dedicated article on the subject.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Series is Faster Than Any MacBook Air Ever Made

2. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

3. bellang macrumors member

"iPhone 7 Series is Faster Than Any MacBook Air Ever Made"
    Except the really fast one...

4. kamalds macrumors regular

Stupid test. Mac operating system and android phones can run things in background and run at much higher screen resolution, handle tons of other things that mobile centric-iOS does not have to deal - like inability to run applications in background like android and full blown Mac OS

5. Ballis macrumors 6502a

So when will we be getting phones capable of running osx when docked to a keyboard and monitor?

6. Legend of Ive macrumors newbie

7. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

8. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Single-Core twice as fast as the exploding Note7. Love it.

9. bellang, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

bellang macrumors member

Yeah, it doesn't mention memory throughput etc, so it's not going to replace the desktop quite yet.

10. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

11. Viddrumr32 macrumors member

Viddrumr32

Impressive, but isn't this the same argument that didn't make sense when comparing the iPad Pros to Macbook Airs? Talking about how this benchmark heavily favors mobile processors etc?

12. jetho, Sep 15, 2016

jetho macrumors member

jetho

Impressive results, but imo not that relevant as I don't think ultimate peak performance is that relevant anymore. I'm more impressed by the leaps in efficiency.

13. 555gallardo macrumors regular

555gallardo

> Faster than my MacBook Air (2660 / 5017)
    > Possibly placed in iPad Pro 2
    > Still can't run Photoshop, Final Cut Pro or Parallels

14. gpat macrumors 6502a

A 10-15W version of this chip should be frightening. Even so, it wouldn't have any apps to run as a Mac...

15. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

If I remember correctly, the original MacBook Air had a chip built especially for it by Intel, and several times Macs got early releases of Intel chips. I think this comparison would be different if that was still the way things were happening.

16. KiwiAdventure Suspended

What's the point of all this as you're not going to use an iPhone like an Air and why would you ever try.

The only item I'm interested in now is a better camera everything else works fast enough on the 6s plus. The new 7 does nothing for me and I'll wait until next year or the year after.

17. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

You just made me realize I want this.

18. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

When the new iPhones have double the storage and speed of my MacBook Air

19. nfilg macrumors member

nfilg

Until 2020 iPhone could be the new macMini and Apple Watch the new "iPhone".

20. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

What a very wrong idea. Indeed, that's Microsoft's very wrong idea.

Apple will do the opposite at proper time: switching the Mac to ARM if and when their A series chips will be faster enough to allow a decent level of X86 virtualization.

21. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

It's just to put things into perspective really. You've got a CPU that you can hold in your hand, in a phone, which doesn't require any cooling... and it practically spanks any dual-core mobile chip currently shipping in a laptop. An in-house, Apple designed chip. It's a stunning achievement.

If Apple could just crack the problem of the x86 instruction set, then we could have MacBooks shipping that utterly cream the competition. Apple designed CPU. Apple designed OS. Apple designed hardware. Apple chip pipeline.

That's what I'd call a 'proper' Mac. One that doesn't rely on Intel.

22. H2SO4 macrumors 601

This. Give it a movie to process in Handbrake and we’ll really see how fast it is(n’t).

23. neuropsychguy, Sep 15, 2016

neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

The headline isn't misleading. The 2015 Air with the dual core i7 is only faster than the iPhone 7 on the multicore benchmark by about 0.4% but is slower on the single core benchmark by about 8.3%.

That means the iPhone 7 is faster overall.

A benchmark is a severely restricted way of looking at performance but for Apple to offer that level of performance with such a low powered processor in the iPhone 7 is impressive.

24. Nozuka macrumors 68020

Not really surprising. A-Chip keeps improving in like 30-50% steps every year and Intel more like 5-10%..