Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
How could you possibly fit twice the battery into a case that's just 10% thicker? I have the feeling people remember the old iPhones to be a lot thicker than they actually were.

And that's how Apple likes it.

People like thin phones, that's it.

The bulkier one will automatically look outdated and clunky.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Oh wow, I really hope this is not true. The iPhone is thin enough already, and at least I wouldn't mind going back to 4/4S or 5/5S thickness to house a much larger battery. The current one doesn't even get me through the day with anything resembling at least moderate usage.

Reactions: Sandstorm and V.K.

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
And that's how Apple likes it.

People like thin phones, that's it.

The bulkier one will automatically look outdated and clunky.

Just my opinion, but I think if Apple stopped with the quest for thin for a couple generations - and let things like the camera lens and battery technology catch up - no one on these forums or anywhere else would be complaining that the phone was clunky.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
While I didn't coin the term, it seems more applicable than ever IMO: Technological Anorexia

Outside of a thread like this one, can anyone point to one reference of any of us griping about the onerous thickness (not size, but thickness) of the current iPhones? Or the last one?

I look forward to iPhone 11 or 12. We'll open what might be empty boxes and then gush at it being so thin we can no longer see it: "I misplaced my iPhone. Pass me an electron microscope." ;)

marksuniverse

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a new report that suggests next year's "iPhone 7" could be Apple's thinnest smartphone yet, with a thickness of somewhere between 6.0mm and 6.5mm, which Kuo mentions is a near similar measurement of the current iPod touch's 6.1mm. As a comparison, the current model of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are 6.9mm and 7.1mm thick, respectively.

The report also states that the company will stick to a similar Force Touch technology in next year's version of the iPhone, due to the heavy amount of time and investment Apple and its suppliers have put into adapting it for this year's "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus."

iPhone-Comparison.jpg

Due to this, Kuo believes that Apple is unlikely to switch from in-cell over to glass-on-glass touch panels next year, which a rumor out of Apple's supply chain in Asia suggested last week. The KGI report says that in-cell panels won't encounter any harsh production bottleneck issues, and that Apple won't be looking to create an iPhone display with a resolution of 4k or higher, so it's more likely for the company to stick with in-cell panels for the time being.

The continued use of in-cell panels would also grant Apple the ability to produce an iPhone as thin as Kuo's suggested 6.0mm-6.5mm size. Although glass-on-glass panels allow for the possibility of a bezel-free iPhone, it also limits the ability for the company to create smaller and thinner smartphones, so if KGI's claim of an iPod Touch-size iPhone is true, it would make most sense for the company to keep using in-cell panels.

Article Link: 'iPhone 7' Thickness Likely to Approach iPod Touch

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Its not the thinness that causes it to be slippy, its the sheer size, its ridiculous and has a poor chose of back material. I can't believe you're blaming the slippyness of a monstrously sized portable device on its thinness. :confused:

So glass-on-glass would then be a better solution compared to in-cell, as it provides for 'rim-less' phones; so smaller when keeping the same display size.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
I guess that means the camera will stick out even more and battery life will be less than it could be. Both perfectly acceptable trade-offs though as we have all been begging them for thinner phones after all.

My thoughts exactly .... I couldn't care less about battery life or protruding camera lens , while I'm using it , my thoughts goes " God , if only it was 0.5 mm thinner , it would be a perfect phone "

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
People can complain all they want, but once they actually hold the device they'll be amazed and marvel at it's beauty.

When I heard that the iPhone 6 was getting thinner I scoffed, but when I picked it up for the first time I loved it because it felt like an iPod touch, but with phone capability. At this point I do wish they would prioritize batter life over thinness, but it will still be an impressive device.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
They are going to remove the headphone jack and make it slightly thicker than the lighting port. It will ship with new lightning beats earbuds.

I would not be surprised at all if they moved to a property headphone jack. That would suck so much, but as long as they offer an adaptor. I have over 6 devices that use the 3.5mm jack and I'm not about to just throw them out.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
This is pretty funny that we are already seeing predictions for the iPhone 7 before the 6s comes out. This is getting ridiculous. This device probably doesn't really concretely exist yet, so how could these predictions even be made?!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Of course it'll be thinner; that's half the marketing for upgraders anyhow.

And guess what! It'll have an A10, marginally better cameras, and a few extra LTE band frequencies! Wooooooo #predictable

Let's see that wireless charging from the AW applied to the iPhone, Apple. Let's see water proof. Let's see thinner top/bottom bezels. Let's see that rumored fuel cell battery. Let's see NFC open up. Get innovative too, not just play catch up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.