iPhone 7 Undergoes Extreme Durability Test in New Video [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hardware review YouTube channel JerryRigEverything has put the new iPhone 7 through an intensive durability test, concluding that Apple has designed a "solid phone" with good build quality, but with a couple of reservations.

The latest video shows how a black matte iPhone 7 stands up to scratching, applied heat, and bending. In the first test, the screen stands up to a utility knife with no problems. However, when a harder level 6 mineral pick is applied it incurs damage, suggesting that coins and keys won't scratch it, but care should be taken to protect it against other abrasive materials that can be found in pockets and purses.

The iPhone 7 screen also lasts almost 10 seconds on contact with an open flame, after which the pixels get warm and turn off before completely recovering within seconds. In conclusion, screen durability is described as being "on par with typical smartphone screen hardness".

On the back of the phone, the anodized aluminum casing on the matte black model holds up well against key scratches, leaving hardly a mark, but it can't stand up to the cut of a razor blade.

Elsewhere, the new Taptic Engine home button stands up to the assaults of a razor blade, but suffers a deep scratch with a mid-level hardness pick. JerryRigEverything claims that this proves it is regular glass and not sapphire, contradicting Apple's own specifications for the phone.

Similarly, the rear camera lens on the iPhone 7 is demonstrated to be scratch-resistant when a razor blade is used, but it scratches deeply with a level 6 hardness pick. According to the reviewer, sapphire would be expected to withstand up to level 9, so the lens isn't sapphire either, but Apple would disagree. Meanwhile, the buttons are confirmed as metal, while the antenna bands remain plastic.

From a purely durability perspective, JerryRigEverything calls the removal of the headphone jack on the new iPhone "an extremely bad move", owing to the fact that two accessory types - headphones and charging cables - must now use the same port, doubling the rate of wear and tear. Another reason to use wireless headphones instead, perhaps.

Lastly, the bend test confirms the iPhone 7's aluminum chassis isn't susceptible to bending like the iPhone 6, which received plenty of criticism for this. However, waterproofing adhesive between the screen and the frame does begin to tear when significant pressure is applied, suggesting that sitting on the phone is still inadvisable.

Update: Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller has confirmed that the top of the home button and the lens cover are both made of sapphire.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Undergoes Extreme Durability Test in New Video [Updated]

Last edited:
Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007

Rainbow Evil

macrumors member
May 13, 2014
UK
Interesting point about increasing wear on the lightning port, I guess time will tell if this becomes a major problem.

Also no sapphire parts at all?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but both the camera cover and Touch ID button were sapphire on the 6S? Weird move if they were...

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
From a purely durability perspective, JerryRigEverything calls the removal of the headphone jack on the new iPhone "an extremely bad move", owing to the fact that two accessory types - headphones and charging cables - must now use the same port, doubling the rate of wear and tear. Another reason to use wireless headphones instead, perhaps.
Bold: This is complete nonsense, reason, not one single person uses this port the same, some won't ever use the headphone while others will use them more than charging the phone, so it could be from zero extra wear on the port until more than double, even triple or quadruple.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Informative and useful review -- not one of those idiotic "lets smash a new iPhone to the ground for YouTube hits" deals. Those are obnoxious.

I wish he would have been more in-depth with the headphone jack -- and specifically how much pressure on the cable end is needed to inflict serious damage to the phone. I'm curious if it would snap off into the phone, just ruin the cable itself or damage the phone's port too.

Please don't blend it. Those blending demonstrations are pure stupid gluttony.
For a user yes. Makes sense if you are doing a legit test like this one though.

mi7chy

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2014
Interesting point about increasing wear on the lightning port, I guess time will tell if this becomes a major problem.
Ditto. Having seen other people's phone with failing power button I intentionally alternate between power and home buttons to extend life. So far four years and no issue. So, when he mentioned single port sharing two functions it made perfect sense that wear would be accelerated.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Bold: This is complete nonsense, reason, not one single person uses this port the same, some won't ever use the headphone while others will use them more than charging the phone, so it could be from zero extra wear on the port until more than double, even triple or quadruple.
That's not what he is saying though. He is saying the port -- all ports -- have a defined lifespan and when you double up the use then it has the potential to wear out quicker than if it was primarly single purpose. Of course it's YMMV, just like everything else.
[doublepost=1474024484][/doublepost]
Razors? Open flame? Mineral pick?! This phone holds up better than most humans would under the same circumstances!

Just don't abuse it and it'll be fine.
And that is why his next test will be iPhone 7 vs Jack Bauer. :D

Royksöpp

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2013
Get Ready for Scuffgate 2016! Did you guys See how easy that thing scratched? Especially the volume buttons? I can't wait for the "New iPhone 7 scratched already" threads. It's gonna be good.

Reactions: djlythium

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Ditto. Having seen other people's phone with failing power button I intentionally alternative between power and home buttons to extend life. So far four years and no issue. So, when he mentioned single port sharing two functions it made perfect sense.
If you are getting a phone once every 2 yrs this is most likely a non issue

Reactions: Squidish

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That's not what he is saying though. He is saying the port -- all ports -- have a defined lifespan and when you double up the use then it has the potential to wear out quicker than if it was primarly single purpose. Of course it's YMMV, just like everything else.
Read the above statement again, it clearly says so, but here you are:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The missing sapphire lens would be misleading advertisement if true.

They didn't get to perform an abrasion test on the jet black model by any chance?
He said that he would do one very soon.

Read the above statement again, it clearly says so, but here you are:
Geez, just stop taking it literally. Of course the wear-and-tear rate won’t be exactly a factor of 2.0. The gist of the statement is absolutely true. Whether that means anything in practice is a different matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.