Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Get Ready for Scuffgate 2016! Did you guys See how easy that thing scratched? Especially the volume buttons? I can't wait for the "New iPhone 7 scratched already" threads. It's gonna be good.

raw

More like "I inspected my iPhone under a microscope and found a 1mm scratch along the lock button- exchanging for a new one... for the 5th time" threads!

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I was physically wincing during that video. It was difficult to watch for sure.

hovercroft

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2016
Don't leave it on the hob. Check! Don't try and shave it if it's looking hairy. Check! Don't sit on it. Check!

Got it. I'm ready now.

My iPhone 6 has lasted 2 years without this valuable information so i'm sure I will be okay..

Reactions: brianlbaker

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
That report is rubbish and laughable. What is the point? Razor blade? Open Flame?
Sweet Holy Mother of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Was I the only one to almost cry when he took the razor blade to the back? I carry my razors in the same pocket of my pants as my phone, so this could be a bad thing! :)

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
I don't think the test is rubbish as it demonstrates what you would actually have to undertake to hurt this phone. It holds up pretty well! But as always I'm much more worried about what will happen when I drop it... and I will.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
No kidding? So iPhones aren't made by Vibranium? I thought every part of an iPhone is indestructible? I should do this to all my objects in my house including the windows, jewelry, computers, and cars.

No wonder Steve Rogers went from an iPhone 5 in The Winter Soldier to a Vivo in Civil War. Sorry, Cap. No iPhone 7 for you this year. The iPhone 7 still tougher than Note7 against scratches. Boo to Corning's Gorilla Glass 5.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I wonder what the failure rate of Lightning ports is. I've never personally seen one fail, mostly just hear of them being clogged with lint and needing cleaning. Or maybe some kind of electrical failure (plugging in while it's wet, etc). But just straight plugging and unplugging, I haven't really heard anything about.

friedkimchi

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
What's the "defined lifespan" then? If he doesn't know what it is, then he doesn't have a point to make. What if the "defined lifespan" is 20 years of plugging/unplugging?

I'd say the lightning port is pretty durable unlike micro usb ports, where the cable in has "hooks" and that eventually wears out the port. I think it took just over 2 years to wear out on my Nexus 7. Now I just use a wireless Qi charger + wifi transfer.

Still waiting for wireless charging on the iPhone. Till then, Android phones.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I'm expecting a class action lawsuit for the wear and tear of lightning port. Unless they made the port more durable to withstand which is now to be used twice as much. But since iPhone 6 design was intentional in my own opinion to break prematurely. This would be another iPhone that Apple will deny if your iPhone will stop charging after just a little over after the warranty expires. They will assume that you used a non-Apple branded accessories and deny your claims. Well see it in a few months but then again we have self paid public testers and we'll find out.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'd say the lightning port is pretty durable unlike micro usb ports, where the cable in has "hooks" and that eventually wears out the port. I think it took just over 2 years to wear out on my Nexus 7.

Micro USB and USB-C are rated for 10,000 insertion/removal cycles. Micro USB has proven itself to be durable and I've seen devices and cables from 2010 that still function fine. The pressure tabs on the micro USB are actually a benefit as they're replaced with the cable once worn out instead of replacing the port. Apple doesn't list the insertion rating for lightning connector and the general consensus is it's not as durable.

Reactions: ohio.emt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.