Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samuel Bradshaw

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2014
At 05:28: "There's a very good chance I'll start an iPhone 7 give-away on my Twitter in the next week or so." I always wondered what they did with these phones after they finish the scratch and bend tests... :)

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
At 05:28: "There's a very good chance I'll start an iPhone 7 give-away on my Twitter in the next week or so." I always wondered what they did with these phones after they finish the scratch and bend tests... :)

In another video he stated that he keeps all the tested phones so any give away would be a new phone.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
He just did a scratch test against jet black iPhone 7. Suggest to turn down the volume.

#ShirtWipeScratchgate

Last edited:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
He just did a scratch test against jet black iPhone 7. Suggest to turn down the volume.

#ShirtWipeScratchgate

Ouuuch.. That's so supremely not durable. I'd like the gloss most but if it's that easily scratched I know I'd have annoying micro scratches on it in no time. Shame really. :( No point getting the gloss and having to keep it in the case indefinitely.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
nope. those are clearly deep scratches. Are you just regurgitating words you heard from corning's GG5 response?
[doublepost=1474033595][/doublepost]

You're right. I thought that was the answer.

Based on this guy's scratching of his sapphire watch crystal, I think the scratch is probably of the anti-reflective coating on top of the sapphire lens cover:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7021615?tstart=0

Reactions: Stratus Fear

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
So does Apple actually advertise the camera lens and home button as being made from sapphire then? Because this is potential false advertising if they do and it's not which is very illegal.
Hmm I will read other reports with great interest.

Update: Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller has confirmed that the top of the home button and the lens cover are both made of sapphire.

https://twitter.com/pschiller/status/777178829290741761

There's your answer!

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Ouuuch.. That's so supremely not durable. I'd like the gloss most but if it's that easily scratched I know I'd have annoying micro scratches on it in no time. Shame really. :( No point getting the gloss and having to keep it in the case indefinitely.

Gloss and scratch go together, unless maybe if its made of diamond... Black's the worse.
Glossy white isn't so bad as micro scratch show up less.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So far the only thing to worry about is bending the device as it seems to be a bit less resistant then the 6S, but it's much tougher in all other ways. so I suspect all those girls and women that favour their jeans back pockets, as seems to be the fashion, will be breaking them in no time. I don't get why they put an expensive device in plain view of pick pockets?

hovercroft

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2016
So far the only thing to worry about is bending the device as it seems to be a bit less resistant then the 6S, but it's much tougher in all other ways. so I suspect all those girls and women that favour their jeans back pockets, as seems to be the fashion, will be breaking them in no time. I don't get why they put an expensive device in plain view of pick pockets?

I always pick pocket my girlfriends iPhone to show her how easy it is to do when it's in her back pocket. She still does it though..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.