Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Hello, my first post here,
my new iPhone 7 128gb took a slip into the bath tub a few nights ago after it slipped out of my hand while trying to change Spotify playlist. So i immediately pulled it out and turned it off, took out my sim and left it to dry. Few days later (now) no signs of life at all, most i had was a white screen with visible water blobs inside it.

So, my question is, i understand the phone is not water proof but water resistant IP67, so if it was in the bathtub for no more than 5 seconds why is my phone completely dead? I've seen these phones withstand more water than a shallow bath tub. Theres also moisture in behind the camera.

Have i just been unlucky? If not then i strongly advise all of you from putting iPhone 7 anywhere near water, mine was the silver model although i doubt colour impacts water resistance.

I was on live chat to Apple i just explained the situation as it happened, and they said they'd grand an Exception provided the phone was repairable they'd 'Waive' the fee. Fair enough but the ways that was worded makes me believe they won't do anything with it.

In conclusion I'm pretty pissed, i just spent a lot of money on this phone now its totalled. Anyone have any advice or similar experiences on how to deal with this?
Easy advise: buy another.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I happen to think Apple cares about their customers. They have always treated me with respect and resolved any concerns I have had in the past expeditiously. They will continue to receive my business for years to come. Thanks for your concern though.

Honestly you're just another number on their sales figures list. But this is besides the point. Like I said previously they shouldn't advertise it as ip67 rated if it can't live up to the task. Let me guess...you disagree because Apple can do no wrong?

Reactions: Hanzu Lao

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Proud to be a sales figure . Now I've heard it all. Anyway as an example its like saying the battery should last x amount of charges and it doesn't last anywhere near that. Would you be annoyed then if Apple went and said "tough, not our problem, got to pay for a new one" even though clearly something isn't right?

I understand what your saying. But nobody can change Apple's policy. That's what Apple Care is for and simple common sense. Use more caution would be my advice around water. And I think many seem to misconstrued the difference between water resistance and water proof, which is an underlying issue for those who don't read the fine lines. In the end, who's fault is it the iPhone was carelessly handled? You really can't argue with that.
[doublepost=1479864590][/doublepost]
Round and round we go repeating the same things that have been repeated numerous times in a number of recent threads dealing with the same thing.

Obviously it's a revolving door because there are those who disagree with Apple's policy/how they treat their devices and others who use common sense, with a general understanding that They should consider the consequences for using their devices around water.

Myself, I have never had water damage to any phone I have owned and I have never needed Apple Care. Because I use common sense. I'm not criticizing others, because accidents do happen. But I think it's fair to say most don't think and make mistakes, which some try and place there blame on the manufacturer, because they are upset at the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio.emt

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Seriously? Get off your high horse. So quick to defend a company who couldn't give two flying s**ts about you. End of the day Apple advertise it as water resistant. Based on the situation op encountered they have every right to be pi**ed with Apple. If the phone isn't up to the task of being in water for 5 seconds it shouldn't be advertised as such.
Drop into a bath with potential steam. The steam will get inside of the phone and damage it. No manufacturer will cover damage from baths/showers due to steam. Plus opening a wet SIM tray is 100% idiotic. Why allow water a path into the phone?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Manufacturers are opening themselves up with these water resistant phones. You could get a poorly sealed one that can't withstand a quick phonecall during a downpour and yet you could be refused a warranty repair/exchange because they think you've been deep sea diving with it. Then there are the hundreds of thousands of people who stupidly think their phones are waterproof and take them to the pool. Some peeps even listen to music in the shower but most of us just want the peace of mind that our phones will survive a once-in-a-lifetime accidental drop down the toilet, or into the bath like the OP....

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Drop into a bath with potential steam. The steam will get inside of the phone and damage it. No manufacturer will cover damage from baths/showers due to steam. Plus opening a wet SIM tray is 100% idiotic. Why allow water a path into the phone?

That's interesting about the steam. I never considered this to be a factor. Another forum member (Can't recall who) started a thread about taking their iPhone 7 into a sauna, which ultimately ruined their iPhone and then tried blaming Apple for the damage.

Doc Shultz

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Corvallis
Here is another thing to think about. If this bathtub had any soap in it, the soap will break the surface tension of water, which might allow water to enter the device much easier depending on how apple protected certain areas of the phone against water entry.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
As discussed before on other forums, a drop from one foot into water can still result in a damaging impact on porcelain... and hence damage the phone, letting in water. If the OP had SET the phone in one foot of soap-free water, and it got damged, then I would be on the OP's side. But because it was a drop, it was his fault, just like almost every poster who complains about water damage from toilets-baths-puddles-etc. that involve drops.
[doublepost=1479853854][/doublepost]
Ever try dropping a quarter into a bat tub (or even worse for impacts, a toilet, as mentioned in another thread)? It's unbelievable how many people here don't believe dropping a thin device into shallow water will somehow allow the device to basically float down and not get damaged..... try it. Use a quarter, you'll see it clink bottom. A phone is much worse.
[doublepost=1479853937][/doublepost]
Water won't break the fall before hitting the tub. Easy physics. Try it. You'd need two feet of water for it to work (a guesstimate, not exact).

Home experiment for anyone who doesn't think a one foot or shallower drop would result in damage. Use a quarter.
But surely that defeats the whole purpose of the water resistance. Who 'sets' their phone on water?

It should cover accidental drops such as in the bath, toilet, or swimming pool. Obviously don't go swimming with it, but if it gets dropped in water for a few seconds it should be ok. If not it shouldn't be advertised as water resistant.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
But surely that defeats the whole purpose of the water resistance. Who 'sets' their phone on water?

It should cover accidental drops such as in the bath, toilet, or swimming pool. Obviously don't go swimming with it, but if it gets dropped in water for a few seconds it should be ok. If not it shouldn't be advertised as water resistant.
So now you want not water resistance but damage resistance... completely separate thing. Apple said it is splash resistant. Not "drop on porcelain or rock tile from a few feet" resistant.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So now you want not water resistance but damage resistance... completely separate thing. Apple said it is splash resistant. Not "drop on porcelain or rock tile from a few feet" resistant.
At the same time the particular rating they went for and list it with is more than just splash resistant.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
But not drop-damage resistant.
Aside from the water resistance, it should be drop resistant to some degree. Dropping one foot and with the water breaking its fall somewhat, the phone should have lived to fight another day if it was quickly retrieved and dried out.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
But would it have hit the bottom of the tub though?

Also it should be able to withstand some drops. Obviously if you drop it onto concrete pavement or even a marble/tiled floor then you might be out of luck.

However I've dropped my iPhones onto laminated floors countless times and I've not had any issues. I've always used a case and a screen protector but otherwise I wouldn't expect a write off.

Last edited:

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Aside from the water resistance, it should be drop resistant to some degree. Dropping one foot and with the water breaking its fall somewhat, the phone should have lived to fight another day if it was quickly retrieved and dried out.
Drop onto porcelain will damage any piece of technology. The water won't break its fall much, everyone here thinks it will slowly float down when it won't.
[doublepost=1479926145][/doublepost]
But would it have hit the bottom of the tub though?

Also it should be able to withstand some drops. Obviously if you drop it onto concrete pavement or even a marble/tiled floor then you might be out of luck.

However I've dropped my iPhones onto laminated floors countless times and I've not had any issues. I've always used a case and a screen protector but otherwise I wouldn't expect a write off.
Oh yea. It would hit the porcelain so hard. A foot or foot and a half of water is not nearly enough to make the iPhone slowly float down to the bottom like everyone thinks it would. The water won't do much to the phone, with its streamline design and materials used to make it.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012

Out of interest do you know the temperature range that an ip67 rated device is certified for? Would be interested to know.
[doublepost=1479940480][/doublepost]
I understand what your saying. But nobody can change Apple's policy. That's what Apple Care is for and simple common sense. Use more caution would be my advice around water. And I think many seem to misconstrued the difference between water resistance and water proof, which is an underlying issue for those who don't read the fine lines. In the end, who's fault is it the iPhone was carelessly handled? You really can't argue with that.
[doublepost=1479864590][/doublepost]

Obviously it's a revolving door because there are those who disagree with Apple's policy/how they treat their devices and others who use common sense, with a general understanding that They should consider the consequences for using their devices around water.

Myself, I have never had water damage to any phone I have owned and I have never needed Apple Care. Because I use common sense. I'm not criticizing others, because accidents do happen. But I think it's fair to say most don't think and make mistakes, which some try and place there blame on the manufacturer, because they are upset at the situation.

I think the point I am trying to make which you do not seem to understand is that some devices may have a manufacturing defect with water resistance and owners are getting wrongly blamed for circumstances which should not be an issue to the iPhone due to its ip67 rating. If you get a dead pixel on your screen, Apple will replace it but if there's a problem with the water resistance then the owner shouldn't get it wet, even though it advertised as such.

Personally I think it's wrong. No manufacturer should brag about water resistance and not back it up. If that's the case then just don't advertise it at all.

I really don't know how you can defend this, but anyway it seems like I'm wasting my time.

Reactions: Hanzu Lao

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I don't even know how these phones are water resistant, when you can stick a piece of paper between the top of the screen and the body?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Out of interest do you know the temperature range that an ip67 rated device is certified for? Would be interested to know.
[doublepost=1479940480][/doublepost]

I think the point I am trying to make which you do not seem to understand is that some devices may have a manufacturing defect with water resistance and owners are getting wrongly blamed for circumstances which should not be an issue to the iPhone due to its ip67 rating. If you get a dead pixel on your screen, Apple will replace it but if there's a problem with the water resistance then the owner shouldn't get it wet, even though it advertised as such.

Personally I think it's wrong. No manufacturer should brag about water resistance and not back it up. If that's the case then just don't advertise it at all.

I really don't know how you can defend this, but anyway it seems like I'm wasting my time.

How would the manufacturer ever be able to verify anyones story?
I can claim I splashed it for a seconds when in reality I went swimming with it in the pool.
How can you defend this? Or they should just take everyone's word because we know people do not lie. Anyone can claim I barely got it wet give me a new phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
How would the manufacturer ever be able to verify anyone story?
I can claim I splashed it for a second when I reality I went swimming with it in the pool.
How can you defend this? Or they should just take everyone's word because we know people do not lie. Anyone can claim I barely got it wet give me a new phone.

Very simple answer. Do not advertise it as water resistant.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Enough with the bickering, a large swath of posts were removed because they were derailing the thread

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016
I agree, but they all do.
They advertise a certain rating but its not possible for them to know exactly what happened to it and the customers actual use or abuse.
It's their problem, but they can't put it all on customers, because we all know that there are more than enough legitimate failures not caused by users. And stop advertising.

Reactions: Hoyboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.