Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
I do, too.

The supposed 10.2.X fix for iPhone 6/6S/SE doesn't work on my SE. It still shuts down unexpectedly and makes it worse by slowing it down. I mean WTF!
Why have you not had the battery replaced?
My wife's did that a few times before they added this throttling business and I was down there getting the battery swapped in no time.
Get it fixed.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

PPopMatt

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2015
California
Why have you not had the battery replaced?
My wife's did that a few times before they added this throttling business and I was down there getting the battery swapped in no time.
Get it fixed.

I AM STILL WAITING for the Battery!!! Today is 4 Weeks since the Genius Bar Appt and add another week for that appointment...

One of the 2 absolute needed reasons to upgrade in the past was 1. to get a "better camera" and 2. to deal with a buggy, laggy phone with a mysterious dark camera (?) like on the current state of iOS11 on my device. Coincidentally "occurs" every upgrade cycle.... Upgrading for me was not for any "new" features - The 6 was IMHO the 6 was "Really Great"!!

I basically "gave up" on Apple when they raised the price from $399 as a slight inconvenience of cost for a "new" device! I bought a Canon G7X. GREAT CAMERA by 100 miles and it has a flip up screen for selfies. Actually works right in low light. It was a $750 extravagance!!! BTW, It has a chargeable removable battery, because it is a professional device, in a professional world with a known state of battery evolution...

The reason I am "holding on" to my 2 iPhone6 devices, is that they should work perfectly fine, (Unless allegedly ruined by artificial shenanigans!). Plus I simply cannot imagine nor afford giving Apple $1000 for something I REALLY shouldn't need!

As I said in a different thread previous post on this same fiasco, is that Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave, but alas, he did this crap too! I know this because have owned - and loved most of my Apple devices since the Mac+SE, as well as PC's since the XT, and all I can say I am so happy for Apple and all its deserved success, except for this crap.

Last edited:

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Initially Tim said they were going to give users the option to turn off the throttling permanently. However he failed to mention they were going to automatically turn the throttling back on whenever they want. Thanks Tim /s

That puts us right back to square one. :(

Reactions: clauzzz203

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Hasn't happened on the iPhone 7/7+ (which aren't reporting throttling from iOS), which have been out as long as the 6/6+ were when they started seeing the shutdown issue.

How would you know, now that there's a fix via power management in place for iPhone 7 (Plus)?

Also, for some devices random shutdowns might have been attributable to faulty batteries, not degraded ones. Wasn't there a repair program for certain serial number ranges of iPhone 6?

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
Initially Tim said they were going to give users the option to turn off the throttling permanently. However he failed to mention they were going to automatically turn the throttling back on whenever they want. Thanks Tim /s

That puts us right back to square one. :(
You can turn the feature off permanently until the phone does a sudden shutdown due to an under-power spike. :D
[doublepost=1518032976][/doublepost]
I AM STILL WAITING for the Battery!!! Today is 4 Weeks since the Genius Bar Appt and add another week for that appointment...

One of the 2 absolute needed reasons to upgrade in the past was 1. to get a "better camera" and 2. to deal with a buggy, laggy phone with a mysterious dark camera (?) like on the current state of iOS11 on my device. Coincidentally "occurs" every upgrade cycle.... Upgrading for me was not for any "new" features - The 6 was IMHO the 6 was "Really Great"!!

I basically "gave up" on Apple when they raised the price from $399 as a slight inconvenience of cost for a "new" device! I bought a Canon G7X. GREAT CAMERA by 100 miles and it has a flip up screen for selfies. Actually works right in low light. It was a $750 extravagance!!! BTW, It has a chargeable removable battery, because it is a professional device, in a professional world with a known state of battery evolution...

The reason I am "holding on" to my 2 iPhone6 devices, is that they should work perfectly fine, (Unless allegedly ruined by artificial shenanigans!). Plus I simply cannot imagine nor afford giving Apple $1000 for something I REALLY shouldn't need!

As I said in a different thread previous post on this same fiasco, is that Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave, but alas, he did this crap too! I know this because have owned - and loved most of my Apple devices since the Mac+SE, as well as PC's since the XT, and all I can say I am so happy for Apple and all its deserved success, except for this crap.
Oh, sorry for the hassle. Yeah this fiasco has caught Apple with their pants down.
I assumed you were having shutdown problems before this whole battery throttling fiasco became public and had the opportunity back then to take it in to Apple and have the battery replaced for $80. I didn't realize it was an old phone you were hanging on to that you want to bring back to working order.

I actually blame all of this on Steve Jobs. When they introduced the iPhone with an internal non-user removable battery I said "This is going to come back and bite them in about 7 years." Well I was a couple of years off but I was right.
They were disillusion as to the longevity of the batteries and people's willingness to hang on to phones long enough for them go "go bad." The sealed battery design was probably unnecessary. I get that it has benefits but I never bought into those benefits outweighing the serviceability and people's reluctance to pay $80 to have it replaced.

PPopMatt

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2015
California
You can turn the feature off permanently until the phone does a sudden shutdown due to an under-power spike. :D
[doublepost=1518032976][/doublepost]
Oh, sorry for the hassle. Yeah this fiasco has caught Apple with their pants down.
I assumed you were having shutdown problems before this whole battery throttling fiasco became public and had the opportunity back then to take it in to Apple and have the battery replaced for $80. I didn't realize it was an old phone you were hanging on to that you want to bring back to working order.

My battery was perfectly fine before iOS11. Also, like probably 99% of iPhone users before this exposed fiasco, I didn't even know I could nor NEED to replace my battery (at any cost $29 or $79)!! Again, there was NEVER an issue before the iOS11 update. I never noticed low battery levels, nor shutdowns!!
I didn't need nor have a charger in my car, nor at work!

Reactions: clauzzz203

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Teenagers, dude/ma’am. They will go through two cycles a day.

Alright, fair enough. I'm not a teenager anymore since quite some time, so what do I know. I do know I'm a lot more efficient at doing most tasks I do at laptop or desktop (yes, social media stuff too) so I tend to spend more time in front of those devices, but maybe the teenagers of today would beat me in a showdown: they smartphone – me computer. :)

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
How would you know, now that there's a fix via power management in place for iPhone 7 (Plus)?

Also, for some devices random shutdowns might have been attributable to faulty batteries, not degraded ones. Wasn't there a repair program for certain serial number ranges of iPhone 6?

Because Apple's "fix" for the problem on the iPhone 6/6+ was to slow it down to nearly half the performance. That doesn't occur on the 7/7+. And there was a repair program for certain S/N ranges of the 6-series but the problem has been reported for phones well outside that range.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 10.10.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 10.10.09 PM.png
    469.9 KB · Views: 83
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.