iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Have Smaller Batteries Than iPhone 7 Models, But Similar Battery Life

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's new iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus have smaller batteries than the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, respectively, according to details discovered today on China's official communications certification board.

The TENAA listings were highlighted by mobile leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer in a tweet, revealing that the iPhone 8 comes with a 1,821mAh battery, while the iPhone 8 Plus has a 2,675mAh battery.

[​IMG]

If the TENAA listing is correct, the iPhone 8 line-up therefore features smaller batteries than last year's flagship Apple smartphones. In comparison, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus feature 1,960mAh and 2,900mAh batteries, respectively.

Be that as it may, Apple claims its iPhone 8 devices offer "about the same" battery life as the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus when it comes to internet use, talk time, and audio and video playback over wireless.

It looks as if Apple has been able to eke out near identical battery life out of smaller batteries in the iPhone 8 devices thanks to the company's new high performance A11 Bionic processor, which Apple claims is more power efficient than previous chipsets.

The smaller batteries also boast support for wireless Qi charging and a new fast-charge capability, which means the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus can be charged to 50 percent battery life in 30 minutes using Apple's 29W, 61W, or 87W USB-C Power Adapters (sold separately and included with Apple's latest MacBook and MacBook Pro models).

In addition to the battery details, the TENAA listings also appear to confirm the iPhone 8 has 2GB of RAM and the iPhone 8 Plus packs 3GB of RAM, as previously reported.

We'll have to wait for the inevitable device teardowns for conclusive evidence about these specs. The new smartphones will be available to pre-order from September 15, with the devices launching on September 22. Prices start from $699 for the iPhone 8 and $799 for the iPhone 8 Plus.

Article Link: iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Have Smaller Batteries Than iPhone 7 Models, But Similar Battery Life

2. Derekeys macrumors member

Well, as we all know. iPhone battery life is notoriously amazing. So getting "about" the same battery life is exactly what we've been asking for. Well done!

/s

3. stan1028 macrumors member

stan1028

Does the fast charging affect the batteries, thus making them smaller?

4. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Got to push those battery packs somehow

5. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Plus version is getting about 300mah less..

6. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

At the least, Apple could provide fast-charging capable bricks & cables. More than 95% profit, not enough?

7. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

More marketing from Apple.... I don't put much stock in getting "about the same" battery life. I'll keep my SE with all-day battery, thanks.

8. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

"about the same" is corporate speak for "not quite as good".

9. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I hate it when I see people complain about the batteries being smaller. If Apple can throw R&D money at getting the same battery life with smaller batteries they should. Having a smaller battery means smaller charge times, but also means you’ll charge it less which has a massive affect on the environment and energy usage over millions of iPhone users.

10. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Charging an iPhone takes about 2 kWh PER YEAR. That’s about $0.25 worth of electricity.

The 3-5 cents less it would take to charge this phone, even with millions of phones sold, is such a minuscule impact that it’s not even worth mentioning.

11. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

Or I dunno, maybe Apple could keep the same size battery in their stale form factor and streamline the efficiency too, increasing battery life.

Me and my crazy talk..

12. iLoveDeveloping macrumors regular

"Sold separately", two words that are rediculous to include when paying $999 for ANYTHING. I'm sorry but screw you apple on this one.

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Great, this is the 6s all over again...

14. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Yeh... I would not interprett "about the same" as "the same". I will be shocked if its not less.

How exactly is having less battery capacity meaning you will charge it less? You would actually charge it more often. We will see if this less capacity is the same life when they ship. If they did manage it, then good for them, but I think most people would have preferred having the savings transferring to longer life, not a smaller capacity for more money. Apple is thinking about their profits, not the environment on this one, which there is nothing wrong with them doing. But as usual, they are doing something for profit that is worse for their customers, and the fans applaud them for saving the planet.

Exactly!

15. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Then they wouldn't have anything to bitch and moan about!

16. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

LET'S GET UP IN ARMS BECAUSE BATTERY LIFE IS UNCHANGED AS IS USER EXPERIENCE!!

17. the-msa macrumors 6502

maybe they could ditch lightning? i mean, they go open standard with qi, but still dont switch to usb c? thats madness.

18. stan1028 macrumors member

stan1028

It would be just great if Apple included the AirPods, Apple Music or at least a few months of free iCloud subscriptions when people buy the iPhone X.

19. Chidoro macrumors newbie

About the same translates to a less but not past a threshold worth noting. The 4.7 will be lacking and the 5.5 will be fine.
    I'm guessing they did this to save some weight and these glass backed phones are already heftier than their predecessors. Over 200 grams on the plus is pretty damn heavy.

20. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

"Similar", meaning less.
    My phone currently gets about 4.5 hours of use use time. Got worse after 10.3

21. Altis macrumors 68000

That's what they said about the new MBP with its smaller battery.

22. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

But the A11 Bionic chip will also be much more efficient, which means less battery use for the same tasks. It's a wash.

23. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

But then the device will end up being more than the extra 10g (weight).

I think most people would prefer to have longer battery life (same battery with the latest more efficient processor) than a heavier glass back so they can charge with induction (not true wireless since the mat need cable .

24. ChrisMoBro macrumors newbie

I'm intrigued to hear about the iPhone X's battery capacity. Apple have claimed it lasts 2 hours longer than the iPhone 7 but on their site all the specs are almost identical to the 7 Plus. Will it last as long as the 8 Plus or will it just be 2 hours longer than the 7?

25. I7guy macrumors G5

I couldn’t agree more. Seems Apple is able to increase the horsepower under the engine and still keep good battery life.