Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But the A11 Bionic chip will also be much more efficient, which means less battery use for the same tasks. It's a wash.

This is a valid point. We can't configure the efficiency of the A11 Bionic chip and M11 Coprocessor yet, but we will know more shortly. But They both will likely assist in streamlining the battery life to help manage it more effectively.

Reactions: phillytim

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I haven't been able to decide either. And as of a few hours ago, I decided that perhaps nothing was going to replace my aged 6S.

The 8 seems so rewarmed to me, and the price doesn't reflect that. And the X has too many trade offs for what they are asking on it.

I was really looking forward to upgrading this year, but... unless my 6S breaks OR I get some kind of a sweet deal/sale, I think I'm going to scrub my purchase plans entirely.
I also have a 6s but ya know the 6s is really not that aged. Mine is still super fast and battery lasts all day. I really want the X mostly because of edge to edge and the form factor is just about the size of my 6s but the X is a bit heavier. The problem is price, I need at least 128GB for my music library. I would have to get the 256GB for the X and that pushes it to $1100.00 that is too much for a phone in my opinion.

I want my next phone to be a new design like the X where it smaller yet the screen is larger than my 6s. There is no need for me to go from a 6s to a 8 since its exactly the same form factor looks exactly the same.

Reactions: PizzaBoxStyle

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Reading this news today doesn't help me make a decision on what is going to replace my iPhone 6 Plus.

Me too, I thought the battery on the iPhone 8 was going to last longer, bad news.
[doublepost=1505409943][/doublepost]
This is really annoying. I'm trying to decide what to upgrade my 6S too, the 7+ or 8+, and this crap isn't helping.

No easy decision, if the X didn't had that awful notch and touch ID I would go for it, but now, so torn between 7+ and 8+, at the end I think the 8+ is the better choice.

Reactions: PizzaBoxStyle

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
But then the device will end up being more than the extra 10g (weight).

I think most people would prefer to have longer battery life (same battery with the latest more efficient processor) than a heavier glass back so they can charge with induction (not true wireless since the mat need cable .

Not only the glass back, but the space needed for the induction coil. Any bets that it's the coil eating into the space the battery previously occupied?

Reactions: KazKam

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
My guess is to balance the weight with the extra glass.
And before people freak out, the 8 battery is still larger than the 6S. Coupled with a more efficient SoC, the battery life should be better than the 6S at the least.

Narg

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
Not surprising considering the glass back would need to be thicker to maintain structural strength. And the wireless charging coil also takes up space. I personally would prefer the phone be just a tad thicker. That would allow the battery size to increase, cover the camera bump, and really not be that noticeable at all. I put all my smartphones in cases anyway, so thin is not in for my needs.
[doublepost=1505412088][/doublepost]
LET'S GET UP IN ARMS BECAUSE BATTERY LIFE IS UNCHANGED AS IS USER EXPERIENCE!!

How about we be glad they still make phones... :/

I'm afraid of changes from Apple these days. They tend to not be very good in some cases.
[doublepost=1505412182][/doublepost]
And people making fun of Samsung note 8 with 3300mah

Yes, because with twice the battery it still only gets about the same run time as the Apple... Why not make fun of that?

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Not only the glass back, but the space needed for the induction coil. Any bets that it's the coil eating into the space the battery previously occupied?

Exactly. This is what's pissing me off about the 8/Plus and it's what I suspected/feared before the announcement. The one thing I wanted, a larger and/or longer lasting battery, was sacrificed for something I find to be a completely useless gimmick that I will never use, inductive charging.

And to make it worse, another compromise, a glass back. So now when I bump into my desk at work the front AND back of my phone will shatter and look like $**+. Thanks for nothing Apple.

Reactions: kyykesko

just.jon

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
"Sold separately", two words that are rediculous to include when paying $999 for ANYTHING. I'm sorry but screw you apple on this one.
Even though the phone described here is $699. It's ok, I understand that reading comprehension is not a common skill anymore.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
LET'S GET UP IN ARMS BECAUSE BATTERY LIFE IS UNCHANGED AS IS USER EXPERIENCE!!
Oh so it makes sense for Apple not to improve user experience by having longer battery life for their phones? I see. They should have kept the iphone from 2007 unchanged and still be selling it now. You know because the user experienced would be unchanged...

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
I hate it when I see people complain about the batteries being smaller. If Apple can throw R&D money at getting the same battery life with smaller batteries they should. Having a smaller battery means smaller charge times, but also means you’ll charge it less which has a massive affect on the environment and energy usage over millions of iPhone users.
Smaller battery, more charging cycles leading to shorter battery life and therefore premature disposal. Of millions of batteries.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Oh so it makes sense for Apple not to improve user experience by having longer battery life for their phones? I see. They should have kept the iphone from 2007 unchanged and still be selling it now. You know because the user experienced would be unchanged...

My comment was about the fact that people are totally happy with the battery life but the second they find that the battery itself is smaller they're mad.

That's like being mad that you Honda Civic has the same 181HP engine it had last year and then getting mad when it turns out that it make that same power with a smaller 1.4L rather than 1.6L. Why does it matter what size the power plant is if it provides the exact same end result?

PizzaBoxStyle

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
Apple HQ Cupterino Spaceship
My comment was about the fact that people are totally happy with the battery life but the second they find that the battery itself is smaller they're mad.

That's like being mad that you Honda Civic has the same 181HP engine it had last year and then getting mad when it turns out that it make that same power with a smaller 1.4L rather than 1.6L. Why does it matter what size the power plant is if it provides the exact same end result?

It matters because they say it's the same end result, but in practical uses, the change proves to be detrimental. There's a history of this in past iPhone releases, and people are suspicious about their claims now.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

The fact that people are totally happy with the battery life? Where did this fact come from? Majority of people I have read in forums and that I know would welcome a longer lasting battery. People are mad because they probably could have included the same size battery which would increase battery life. Are you saying people shouldn't want more? They should accept having the exact same end result with each new iphone.

Majority of people are happy with the A10 chip in the IP7. So this means Apple should never upgrade the processor since it provides the exact same end result in the iPhone X as it does in their current iPhone 7?

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
I hate it when I see people complain about the batteries being smaller. If Apple can throw R&D money at getting the same battery life with smaller batteries they should. Having a smaller battery means smaller charge times, but also means you’ll charge it less which has a massive affect on the environment and energy usage over millions of iPhone users.

Hate it all you want. I hate the fact that I need to plan my day based on the places I can charge my phone because I need to be available at all times but the phone craps out on me once or twice during the normal work day. 10am, battery at 35%. It WILL shut down somewhere between 5-9% so in reality I have more like 20% left.

The current battery was mediocre. No matter how much efficiency they can pull out of the device all that goes down the drain the second you actually use the device. Sure, it can probably survive more idling and maybe even light browsing but that's it. It's the same deal as with the MacBook Pro. I returned two of those already. First ran out of battery in 3h pretty consistently, the 15" one I bought afterwards survived sometimes 4-5h. Color me unimpressed.

The bigger battery was the main feature I was looking for in the new iphone. Nothing else they can out to the table compensates for that. Wireless/fast charging? Meh. It won't make a difference on 10-30min drives between locations. It won't let me charge it while I'm out on the field any better. The fact that MBP was useless means I don't even have an USB-c power brick which means I'd have to shell out ~100e extra on top of the 1200-1400e the 8+ or X costs. I guess I'll just buy an used 6S+ or wait to see if the next Note explodes, too.
[doublepost=1505459420][/doublepost]
The fact that people are totally happy with the battery life? Where did this fact come from? Majority of people I have read in forums and that I know would welcome a longer lasting battery. People are mad because they probably could have included the same size battery which would increase battery life. Are you saying people shouldn't want more? They should accept having the exact same end result with each new iphone.

Majority of people are happy with the A10 chip in the IP7. So this means Apple should never upgrade the processor since it provides the exact same end result in the iPhone X as it does in their current iPhone 7?

We won't get even the same results unless we live in a land where the CPU of the device isn't taxed as all. The second you do those optimizations mean squat.

Reactions: hagar

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
When did the battery life of the most important portable device that most people carry become the LOWEST priority checkbox on Apple's list???

The war on battery life is absurd. I can almost hear Ive telling his designers, "Don't let the battery life get too out of hand."

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
When you think about it every time a new iPhone comes out there is some kind of new feature or design that compromises the battery and reduces its size. For example 3D Touch with Taptic bar and now glass back, thinner design, all these things force them to cut down the size of the battery. For once why can't battery life succeed as a top priority?

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
My guess is to balance the weight with the extra glass.
And before people freak out, the 8 battery is still larger than the 6S. Coupled with a more efficient SoC, the battery life should be better than the 6S at the least.

"Before people freak out"? 6 had a way too small battery. 6s had smaller. 7 was still on the same level as the previous and now they shrunk it again - probably to be able to call the new charging "fast" charging because the tiny battery now charges so much faster to "full". Too bad you get to enjoy the fast charging much more often than before.

I'll believe otherwise when it's shown in actual, real life use. Not in apples test lab "where they use it 'right'".

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Inductive charging = conveniently charge your phone in restaurants, airports and IKEA. Amazing!

How about making a phone with a big enough battery so we don't need charging halfway our days? That would even be more amazing.

Reactions: MrGuder

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Inductive charging = conveniently charge your phone in restaurants, airports and IKEA. Amazing!

How about making a phone with a big enough battery so we don't need charging halfway our days? That would even be more amazing.
We don’t charge our phones half way through the day. Would not lay my phone down in a public place anyway no matter how amazing.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
We don’t charge our phones half way through the day. Would not lay my phone down in a public place anyway no matter how amazing.

Well. It's nice you don't charge your phone in the middle of the day but that's irrelevant. If you go to an airport you see everyone chained to the charging stations trying to maximise their charge before flying. So yes: lots of people have a shortage in battery life.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well. It's nice you don't charge your phone in the middle of the day but that's irrelevant. If you go to an airport you see everyone chained to the charging stations trying to maximise their charge before flying. So yes: lots of people have a shortage in battery life.
No it’s not irrelevant, to me it’s relevant. What’s funny is your implication that you think Samsung android models have magical batteries that don’t charging at the airport.:rolleyes:

I avoid all of that I have an anker 22,000 mah battery. Never worried about topping off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.