iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Sold 'More Like an 'S' Model' During Launch Quarter According to New Report

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus accounted for 16 percent of total iPhone sales in the July-September 2017 quarter, which means the new smartphones "look much more like an 'S' model" in terms of sales. According to a report sent to MacRumors today by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, the new devices actually represented a smaller sales percentage than 'S' devices have in past years, particularly in comparison to the iPhone 6s with 24 percent of iPhone sales in 2015.

In terms of each model, the iPhone 8 had 6 percent of iPhone sales and the iPhone 8 Plus had 10 percent in the fiscal quarter ending October 1, 2017. While the smartphones' small share makes sense, because they were only available for about a week (shipping September 22) in the quarter that CIRP analyzed, previous generation iPhones were notably higher at the same points over the past few years.

[​IMG]

The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus accounted for 43 percent of sales during this period in 2016, while the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus had 24 percent of the iPhone sales in this period two years ago. In 2014, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus represented 46 percent of iPhone sales in their launch quarter.
    CIRP co-founder Mike Levin mentioned that Apple's dual-announcement of the iPhone 8 and iPhone X "changed the market dynamic" for 2017, echoing previous sentiments that many users are not ordering the former smartphone because they're waiting for the latter device. The new report is based on a survey of 500 Apple customers who made a purchase between July and September of this year.

[​IMG]

In the 2017 quarter, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus continued seeing strong demand, with both devices accounting for 58 percent of sales. In total, older models like the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and SE represented 25 percent of sales in the quarter. Levin explained that "rather than waiting for and buying the iPhone 8, it looks like buyers in this quarter either bought existing models, or decided to wait for the iPhone X, later in the year."

Article Link: iPhone 8 and 8 Plus Sold 'More Like an 'S' Model' During Launch Quarter According to New Report

2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

3. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

It was like an "S" model, that's a surprise

Said no one ever.

Didn't stop me buying one tho.

4. Appleaker macrumors 68020

This is kind of too be expected, although it would have done better without the X it probably wouldn’t reach non-S year levels.

5. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I traded in my wife old 6 for a 8 just because T Mobile gave a $300 credit for a 16GB phone.

6. mbh1976 macrumors regular

Why are articles like these being written? Obviously 8 sales were going to be down as people wait for X.

7. larspetterh macrumors newbie

Yes because a lot of us are waiting for the iPhone X. I would have bought an 8 Plus weeks ago if I didn't and I suspect a lot of us would.

8. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

Not surprising. It essentially is an “S” model. We’re all waiting for the X!

9. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

No problem, Tim can raise margins for next iteration, working as intended.

10. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

No one should be willing to throw out 800 bucks on the iPhone 6ssss

11. BootsWalking, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017

BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 8 is selling like an 's' model, aka selling like 'ish'.

12. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

Unsurprising, it’s effectively the iPhone 6SSS. I’ve got an upgrade due this month and I don’t know whether I can really justify an upgrade from a 6S to an 8, but the prospect of getting hold of an X any time before 2018 seems unlikely given the supply issues.

13. vahdyx macrumors regular

vahdyx

Lol, are you gonna get the X or skipping it this year?

14. Xavier, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017

Xavier macrumors 68030

The iPhone 8 kind of is the S model for the 7 in my opinion. I moved from the iPhone 7 to the iPhone 8 Plus because my carrier did away with the 'new every 2' model and I used that as a opportunity to get on the Apple iPhone Upgrade program and also change my service plan to unlimited.

I am very happy with the iPhone 8 Plus. It is an amazing phone and the best iPhone I have ever used.

15. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Not bad considering it is basically a 6SSS.

16. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Maybe T-Mobile will offer a sweeter than usual Black Friday deal on the 8 this year.

17. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Looks like apple quietly discontinued 7 series model, which MR reported 7 selling more than 8.

18. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

bring on the haters, "no update in N years, blah blah..." :p

19. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

You traded in your wife? Anyone know if I'll be able to do this for the X?

20. Ripjobs macrumors newbie

Ripjobs

Was there ever a 7s ? What are you talking about Willis! iphone 7 was released last year.......

21. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Well not surprised by this data.. doesn't take into consideration that most stores don't have 8 in stock due to lack of ordering by Apple personnel. Even carriers have readily available 7's and tell you there's a wait on 8 devices. 8 is a poorman's and essentially they are the same device.. but again it's marketing 101 here, pay more to make people think it's premium/better.

22. satchmo macrumors 68000

Confusing bar chart when colours for one model are practically the same as another.
    Note to CIRP, there are more than 12 colours.

23. Razeus macrumors 603

LOL at these articles.

Why would people buy an outdated, overpriced phone? The real insanity is that Apple wants an extra $50 for it.

24. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I'm concerned about what demand for the X is actually going to look like.

Apple's biggest fans seem to mostly be getting the 8 and 8+, while the people I know are either getting an 8 or 8+ or just holding onto whatever they have.

There was that survey suggesting that demand for the X was going to about match the demand for the 8 and 8+ combined, which would be pretty disappointing to me given how low demand has been for the 8 and 8+, but anecdotally, it seems to me that demand for the X is actually going to be even lower than that.

I should really part with my AAPL before it's revealed I'm right...