Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
They never made a 7s. The 7 came out this time last year. The called this on 8 because the made far more changes than an S model because they changed the materials of the case to glass
I missed one part there.. X.. I wasn't meaning 7 vs 8.. forgot the dumb X. 8 is a poorman's X.. that's what I was saying. 7 vs 8 is a massive difference. Heck 7 vs X is massive too.. but 8 or X.. either one.. essentially the same device. It's all in the marketing tactic. And by the looks of it.. people are still crazy enough to buy into it. Oh but they'll be on here crying when they don't get their X on release day... month.. quarter..
[doublepost=1508772057][/doublepost]
Bought an unlocked 256 gig 8 Plus and sold my 6s Plus on gazelle.com. Couldn't be happier. I really like the TrueTone display and dual cameras. The battery life is great, too.
Completely agree with the battery life. By far the best they've ever done. Normally I felt like battery life was very much subjective.. and while it still is dependent upon what you use your device for.. I've had so many success stories when talking with other developers lately. Their graphic enhancements usually crush the battery but not on the 8 series. Yes in due part of the new chip too. But come on.. this thing really is a beast! If only Apple would put more into the OS itself I'd actually be a happy camper with little to say at the keynotes. I'm always busting in on them for not completing basic "extras" in their system. Agh! It could be such a better system if they would let it be.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Wouldn’t the pre-approved iup could tell us something in regards to how many people are anticipating?
[doublepost=1508777383][/doublepost]
No one should be willing to throw out 800 bucks on the iPhone 6ssss
Nobody or just you?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I think Apple should have named it the iPhone 7s......Having three whole number iterations based on the same design aesthetic instead of two gives a stale perception to the iPhone in my opinion. Going with the 7s name would also have kept Apple's naming convention consistent too.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
This. While I agree the sales probably aren't super impressive, all these guesses at the actual numbers are kind of funny. 500 people, for a phone that sold in the millions!
Yeah ... scratching my head on that one too.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think Apple should have named it the iPhone 7s......Having three whole number iterations based on the same design aesthetic instead of two gives a stale perception to the iPhone in my opinion. Going with the 7s name would also have kept Apple's naming convention consistent too.

I See your point about the naming scheme. But I also believe that it should not have been titled the 7S. Reason being, is Naming the iPhone 8 gives the perception that's a whole new device and they can use that in the marketing sense to sell the iPhone 8 with a new number. The consumer will view it as the same phone similarly to the iPhone 7 and just by adding an S to it likely wouldn't be beneficial either for marketing purposes.

Reactions: Icaras

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I See your point about the naming scheme. But I also believe that it should not have been titled the 7S. Reason being, is Naming the iPhone 8 gives the perception that's a whole new device and they can use that in the marketing sense to sell the iPhone 8 with a new number. The consumer will view it as the same phone similarly to the iPhone 7 and just by adding an S to it likely wouldn't be beneficial either for marketing purposes.
I’m thinking that tick-tock cycle has gone by the wayside.

As far as the definition of “new phone” if they made a mirror image of the iPhone 8, would that mirror image have been labeled as new?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As far as the definition of “new phone” if they made a mirror image of the iPhone 8, would that mirror image have been labeled as new?

Every iteration of an iPhone that is released is considered a new phone. But Apple changing the naming with a different number alters one's perception to logically think they are receiving a new phone. Regardless of how incremental the updates are, retaining the same numbering scheme followed by an 'S' doesn't always equate to somebody believing it's a new device. A number represents helps market that the iPhone.

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
These reports really mean nothing.

Counterintuitively, I think the 8 sales will actually pick up after the X releases.

I would also imagine the short-term loss in sales of the 8 is people doing their due diligence, waiting for the X, even when they still intend to get the 8. If you're on the fence about the X, you're going to wait to check it out before buying the 8 or X.

I think we're gradually seeing people upgrading at different points of the year as well instead shortly after every new release. Some are still on 24 month installment plans that have not yet ended either.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
They never made a 7s. The 7 came out this time last year. The called this on 8 because the made far more changes than an S model because they changed the materials of the case to glass
This is the smallest upgrade honestly. If you have a 7s getting an 8 is being stupid.
The 8 is a filler upgrade for people not wanting to spend 1k on a phone. Coming from a 6 or 6s.
The 7 should of been the last design of this model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.