iPhone 8 Camera Allows Users to Customize 3D Animated Emoji Using Facial Expressions

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following last night's leak of the golden master version of iOS 11, further details of features Apple plans to announce next week continue to be unearthed, including more hints about the new 3D animated emoji for iMessage.

Based on information in the iOS 11 GM firmware, the new "Animoji", as they're called, appear to be a feature exclusive to Apple's so-called iPhone 8 and the phone's new 3D sensing capability, enabling users to create custom 3D animated emoji based on facial expressions picked up by the camera.

[​IMG]

As noted by developer Steve Troughton-Smith, several Animoji will be available for customization using the iPhone 8's 3D sensing features, including chimps, robots, pigs, cats, poop, chickens, dogs, foxes, and several others unearthed in the software.

The range of expressions that the iPhone 8 will be able to detect are listed in a separate asset, showing off the level of detail the new camera feature is capable of reading on a human face. Animoji will be able to be customized using movement of the left and right eyebrows, cheeks, chin, eyes, jaw, lips, and mouth, with global detection for sad and happy faces.

[​IMG]

Expect additional discoveries about the iPhone 8 and Apple Watch to be revealed soon as developers scour the iOS 11 GM code over the weekend. Apple will officially unveil the new devices at its Tuesday event set to be held at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Camera Allows Users to Customize 3D Animated Emoji Using Facial Expressions

2. lifeisepic macrumors 6502

lifeisepic

Just when you thought Emojis couldn't get anymore annoying.

3. Radon87000 macrumors 601

The sheer amount of features on the iPhone 8 is making the 7S look more and more like lower end product with every coming leak.

4. Balkon macrumors newbie

I won't buy the iPhone 8 but I like this feature. This brings more personality and creativity to iMessage.

5. Creep89, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017

Creep89 macrumors 6502

Am I the only one who doesn't care about this ****ing Emoji stuff but the security of Face ID?

6. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

The first comment pretty much nailed it. Super annoying.

7. ocanalix macrumors newbie

ocanalix

8. Rob_2811 Suspended

9. techspin macrumors 6502a

10. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Well, with this feature no doubt they will call it the iPhone Pro. What else screams more Pro than 3D emojis?

Every professional in his field was just waiting for this.

11. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

This is awesome but I can see some backlash from upset people who will want to use the Animojis but can't afford the iPhone 8 and so they have to "settle" for a 7s which doesn't have FaceID... or does it?

12. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Well, I continuously get the impression that Apple still is not completely aware or underestimating the impact of some of its main contruction areas. This certainly was none.

13. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

That's probably millions of dollars wasted on a gimmick feature ... but hey, it sounds cool :D

14. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

The sheer amount of emojis these days is discouraging me to use them.
    Looking through all of them for a fitting one is not worth the hassle so I just go with a recent one or even more often just don't.

15. Populus macrumors 6502

Populus

Just wait until the rest of services -WhatsApp, FB Messenger...- copy this feature, like they did with the bigger emojis.

Animated emojis EVERYWHERE!

16. Apfelblüte macrumors newbie

Apfelblüte

oh wow, this looks annoying.
    First the touch bar, now this. I'm a little disappointed honestly.

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Well, Apple has to justify the vast premium of the iPhone 8 somehow.

Seems like this animoji could become some sort of status symbol? If presumably only people with the iPhone 8 can create and send them? Will other users on iOS 11 still be able to select them from the keyboard?

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

19. McFlyOz macrumors member

McFlyOz

Many many animated turds coming our way (I know because that’s all I’ll be sending).

20. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I thought I was going to be alone, hating on this. Glad I'm not lol

21. DamoTheBrave macrumors regular

It seems like every part of this keynote has had its thunder stolen. I know some people suspect leaks are always instigated by Apple - and no doubt some are - but suspect there are some very shocked and disappointed execs there right now. I really enjoy reading the rumours but I can't help feeling that the wealth of information this year will detract from the launch.

22. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Don't care much (at all) about emoji, but the technology behind this feature is definitely very promising.

23. genovelle macrumors 6502a

It looks like I will be the only person using this, like the original Japanese emojis when Apple showed them during an update and their users balked at the concept until it was common. No one here used them so it was a dumb idea.

24. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

This sound like a gimmick, but I trust Apple will (also) have more serieus/useful innovations using 3D scanning and face recognition. I'm exited this time and will buy the iPhone 8. (Yet I hope it's not going to be the hunchback shown in mockups.)

25. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000