Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArkieBiker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Arkansas
As a loyal iPhone user since version 3 (and I'm not abandoning my iPhone regardless)...I am concerned that we have not heard more about the upcoming iPhone 8 camera upgrades (if any). Today the Samsung S8 is being released, and for me this is the first time that I see a significant improvement in the photos of the Samsung S8 over the iPhone 7 Plus.

Has anyone heard what, if any improvements, changes or upgrades of the iPhone 8 FRONT FACING camera might be implemented. I'm really not interested in the selfie camera and possible 3D imaging at this point.

I feel the camera will be improved in some aspects as this is a major function of the iPhone nowadays, but I am disappointed as to the small amount of details being released for the camera at this point. Thanks for any and all replies.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
s
As a loyal iPhone user since version 3 (and I'm not abandoning my iPhone regardless)...I am concerned that we have not heard more about the upcoming iPhone 8 camera upgrades (if any). Today the Samsung S8 is being released, and for me this is the first time that I see a significant improvement in the photos of the Samsung S8 over the iPhone 7 Plus.

Has anyone heard what, if any improvements, changes or upgrades of the iPhone 8 FRONT FACING camera might be implemented. I'm really not interested in the selfie camera and possible 3D imaging at this point.

I feel the camera will be improved in some aspects as this is a major function of the iPhone nowadays, but I am disappointed as to the small amount of details being released for the camera at this point. Thanks for any and all replies.

They can not even decide which side the home button is going to be on so I would not put a lot of stock in any camera rumors at this time.

No matter how much Apple improves the camera lens, mobile phones have such a small sensor, it hard to improve by leaps and bounds.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

For my understanding, it's the same camera from the Galaxy S7 that is used in the Galaxy S8.

Here is a link that was posted on the Galaxy S8 camera today on the front page of MacRumors. I think it will answer some of your questions as well.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/samsung/

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
It has similar specs but it is not the same sensor/camera

The S8 camera is better in a lot of ways, but the iPhone 7 camera is absolutely no slouch.

I've noticed with my s8+ it takes slightly better low light photos than my iPhone 6s+ Also the front facing camera have been bumped up to 8 megapixels. I think Samsung has altered the software algorithm from the S7 to make the photos look a little prettier. Or it just could be over saturated post processing.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Oh well. A phone camera is just a phone camera,I guess picture quality is about the same in modern cellphones. If I want better pictures,I use real cameras.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

News?

There is no news, you'll have to wait until the keynote conference for news.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Does anyone want some serious upgrades for the rear camera on the iPhone 8 or is it just me?

I feel like while the iPhone 7 did bring some decent improvements over the 6s such as much better low light performance and improved depth of field, both due to a larger aperture, it could of been better. Obviously the iPhone 7 is now around 8 months old and while it is still competitive with other flagship phones such as the Galaxy S8 and the Pixel, it falls behind mostly in low light and sometimes in detail. This is expected though.

Now, for the iPhone 8 I would really like a larger camera sensor with significantly faster autofocus (have you seen how fast the S7 and S8 focus?! Man I need that speed haha) as well as improvements to video like the Sony Xperia XZ Premium which brings seriously amazing Slo-Mo video capture at 960fps which I want on the iPhone, and possibly (huge ask!) 4K 60fps video additionally.

So in conclusion for rear camera improvements on the iPhone 8, I'd like:

- Much faster Autofocus
- Improved detail in photos
- Improved Low light performance
- Much improved Slo-Mo video (seen an article earlier in the year about a camera sensor for phones with ability to record at 1080p 960fps)

- 4K 60fps Video

*Side note - We need an upgrade on the Mics for video recording! They are seriously woeful compared to other flagship phones.*

What do you want in terms of hardware and features for the iPhone 8 camera(s)?

Reactions: Vanilla35

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I also would like more details on the camera since not have surfaced. I think Apple's auto focus speed is getting to be very behind, and aside from that am basically just looking for a boost in detail and contrast. 4K 60 FPS would be nice, because that's a great non-compromise setup for 4k. The OIS can handle it. Couldn't care what they do with the telephoto lens because to me it's a gimmick.

Can they finally put a wide angle lens on the front??? I would even trade 2 mega pickels for the wide angle lens. Please just give it to us

Reactions: Sparky2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.