iPhone 8 Concepts and Mockups - Part 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the iPhone 8 set to receive a major redesign that is rumored to add an edge-to-edge display, eliminate the home button, and introduce some sort of touch bar-style feature, it's no surprise that we're seeing dozens of concept images and mockups imagining what such a device might look like.

Back in February, we rounded up some of the best iPhone concepts, but designers and artists have been creating new mockups on a regular basis, so this is part two in the concept series. These concepts don't reflect the actual design of the iPhone 8, but it's fun to imagine what we might see this fall.

Designer Gabor Balogh has dreamed up a detailed "iPhone X" with an edge-to-edge display and a virtual home button that powers an augmented reality Siri feature.

[​IMG]

A space around the virtual home button displays dynamic smart functions that change with each app. The way the edge-to-edge display is imagined is perhaps the best part of the concept, as we don't know if AR or advanced Siri features are coming in the iPhone 8.

[​IMG]

UX designer Vianney le Masne imagined an iPhone 8 "without borders" that incorporates iOS 11 and a highly desired feature, dark mode. It has an edge-to-edge display but leaves a top bar in place for the camera. The darker-themed UI is definitely the most interesting part of this idea.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: iPhone 8 Concepts and Mockups - Part 2

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

great. so we're going to activate siri by accident even more now.

3. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

meh. Just let me choose my own mail, navigation, and calendar app already.

Everything else is just lipstick on a pig.

4. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

My hands are too porky for no bezels on the sides. Top and bottom though? Get rid of it!

5. orev macrumors regular

Screens will always have square corners.

6. brendu macrumors 68020

7. apppen1 macrumors regular

apppen1

Incredible how so many years have passed and these called "designers" still don't get that Apple would never release a phone similar to these crazy "concepts".

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

iPhone X concept=I likey. Ready for OLED and September 2017.

9. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

Oh, please. Don't let current limitations in technology get in your way of these concepts. Why not just post a picture of a nano-particle sized chip next to a syringe that we just implant behind our neck! Why stop at these whimsical pictures?

10. Twixi macrumors newbie

Ugh! My eyes! has Samsung written all over it, no thank u

11. b1wils1 macrumors regular

b1wils1

2019 mockups. no way are they changing the cash train and NOT doing a very similar 7s/7s+ model. i'd say 7s adds one big feature like wireless charging or facial ID like the "s" models always do.

12. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Dark Mode in the next iOS. That's the bit i want...

13. H.Finch macrumors regular

I'm a designer and I'll bet you... if the phone has a screen that pretty much covers the entire phone (small or pretty much non-existing bezels) the corner radius will be a lot smaller...

In these mockups, they seem way out of proportion... It only works out in an aesthetic way on the current phones because of their large upper and lower bezels.

14. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Given how bland the Samsung S8 is, Apple is going to have an incredible year.

15. luisfelipesv macrumors newbie

I like this one

Attached Files:

16. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Like the LG G6?

[​IMG]

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Removing physical bezels for blank spaces on a screen does what exactly?

18. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

19. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

Enough with the dam rumours just flipping wait, all the hype is gonna make keynote disappoining cos everyone thinks its gonna have everything when it wont, just enjoy iphone 7 and wait

20. Substance90 macrumors regular

21. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

I have to say that am a little hyped for this years iPhone and still have faith that Apple will deliver.
    Either way, with iPhone 8/X/7S or whatever may come, an upgrade from iPhone 6 will definitely be a delight so am happy either way. :)

(Will pass down the 6 to Dad, for is basic needs, he'll use it for another 4-5 years till the battery gives out :D)

22. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

This illustration also shows why the concept is more about show than usability:
    • More likely to fall from your hand without a case
    • Hand covers some of the display anyway
    • Have to keep your eyes on the screen more often (eg I can use Siri in the car by finding the button without taking my eyes off the road)
    Other than the "gee whiz" factor what is the practical utility? Of course I also think Apple should design things that don't require a case for protection and for basic handholdability.

23. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Heh, welcome to MacRumors. People were incredibly salty about the iPhone 4S, due to the rumours. They thought the 16 month break would mean a ludicrous redesign.

And the iPhone 6. And the 6S. And all the rest of them!

It's unlikely they'd break their 'S' cycle. If they don't, they'll hopefully release this new iPhone along with the 7S at a higher price. I'll try to keep my hopes modest and see what happens. It's difficult not to be excited, though! :)

24. Flore macrumors regular

Hover sensitive display will happen. Mark my words :)

25. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

How do you figure that would happen, if there is no physical home button? The Article states that it's unknown if advanced features of Siri will debut.