'iPhone 8' Could Reportedly Be Called 'iPhone Edition,' Ship Well After 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch Versions

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

I just wouldn't want to buy a device which serves as an interim for couple of months until the "real" model is released.

The SE just feels sluggish to me.

2. ValO macrumors 68000

For those people they have the 7s and 7s plus. The iphone 8/edition is going to be a kind of niche anyway. Perhaps not in demand , but (gut feeling) definitely in supply until jan/feb.

Perhaps the 7s en 7s plus will be more than just a soc and camera upgrade. There could also be other upgrades, like higher def screens, wireless charging.(confirmed), etc.

I also have a feeling that we COULD be in for a surprise on the 7s plus. Since the iphone 8/edition could be arriving in november and won' t be available in large quantities then, until 2018, they could have stocked a lot of supplies for oled screens for 2017. Perhaps the 7s plus will have a (non) curved oled screen(perhaps even a 5.7 inch) with less bezel and chin for a slightly higher price than the 7 plus.
    They have go to have a vert good alternative for the iphone edition around the holidays.

Great mindspin:
    -release an ultra high end iphone with a new design that is very expensive and very difficult to get.
    -And release a slightly cheaper (but more expensive than the current 7+) that also has all the bells an whistles, but a slightly updated design, that is a great alternative, very high end, even bigger active (oled)screen, etc that is in stock and available.
    -release a slightly dissapointing lcd based 4.7 inch iphone 7

People will try to order and shop for the ultra high end, and because of waiting times and no stock will choose for a slightly cheaper(but great) 7s plus.
    Customer is happy because they got a bigger but cheaper phone with a bigger display (oled).
    And Apple is happy because they suckered you in for paying more money for a plus money than last year.

3. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

It's well within their right to complain. It just gets very tiresome after a while, both for the complainers and the people reading them.

4. Dave_27 macrumors newbie

Dave_27

5. zappa2001 macrumors newbie

zappa2001

I agree with you times 1000. If it was an OLED that had a 5.5" or larger usable area on the screen, I'd be great and I'd buy it. Now I don't know what to do. Going back to a smaller handset is REALLY DIFFICULT. As, I have a relative with a smaller phone and it feels like a child's toy to me, and I have to squint to see anything on it.

6. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yeah I don't think I could do it either

Which is why I'm likely getting the S8 plus and likely keeping my 7 plus.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Except, that link you provided is some made up, mock up iPhone that somebody Photoshopped. And there's no way of knowing if the iPhone will be labeled "Edition."

8. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

It's not even the non oled screen that's the issue. It's the screen size. It will be too much of a reduction. I wouldn't even mind if the 7S plus had an LCD screen but the resolution needs to be increased and the size must be at least 5.5 inches and it should support wireless charging.

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Is it sluggish on the latest version of iOS 10? I did notice mine felt that way on the first version of iOS 10. I haven't updated it since then because I took the sim out of it to test my Android phones and haven't used it heavily since then. I was planning to go back on my SE for the summer since it's easier to keep on me outdoors, in the pockets of my summer clothes. I was hoping the latest version updates brought it back to normal.

10. alpha076 macrumors member

So do you think function area will show virtual buttons or blank screen when you are watching movie or playing games? This entire confusion is happening because of repeated talk about usable area + functional area. In your 5.5 inch screen also, when you push home button, dont you see virtual buttons for phone, safari, mail, music etc? But the moment you are in games, youtube, whatsapp or watching movie, that area is used by app. I think it will be the same.

If great Jony Ivy designs the functional area like touchbar of macbook pro, that will be the biggest mistake. Plus who likes to watch movie which is not in the center of display?

11. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

Yep. Each update makes it worse

12. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

I try to ignore the "Apple can't do no wrong" writings too. I find them very tiresome. All I want to say: be like Apple, ignore what their customers have to say :rolleyes:

It's good to be critical and not follow blindly. If we weren't we all would still life in the stone age o_O

13. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

I got an iPhone 7 last year so I think I will skip this year. No way am I shelling out 1000+ bucks for the edition. I imagine those features will make it to the normal 2018 iPhones.

14. ValO macrumors 68000

I agree. I would rather have an iphone 7s plus that has the same design and physical dimensions as the 7 plus but with a 5.7 to 5.8 oled screen with smaller bezels and chins, wireless charging, etc .

15. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Oh no. :( I am counting on using my SE a lot this summer. I'm going to charge it up and update it and see if mine still lags. It's barely a year old so I'm hoping it's going to be fine. It ran like a dream on the last version of iOS 9. I did regret updating it because I ran into a lot of odd stutters and glitches at first. And it took me months to get used to unlocking without sliding to unlock. (My prints don't work well on it).

Well thanks for answering me. My apologies to others for the momentary thread derailment.

16. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

I agree on not buying an Edition, but will definitely be buying a 7S+. The 2nd Edition will be far better than the one released this year, as it always is with new Apple products.

17. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

Ever since the iphone 4 these rumors just bait the average user into thinking the next iphone will be the one they have been waiting for but in reality, its always 2 cycles away. dont fall for this

18. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Nobody can tell anybody else how to spend their money. If you don't like the direction of Apple personally there are choices. I generally like Apple products, but like everything else there is always room for improvement. They get more right than wrong, imo.

19. dan110 macrumors 6502a

dan110

For next year, I'm looking at the LG G6 or the Google Pixel XL (v2.0)

20. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

My 5s runs well on 10.2.1. I would imagine the SE would perform the same as my 6s, however, my 6s is on the 10.3 beta 5, which is outstanding.

21. Radon87000 macrumors 604

You clearly dont understand that you are getting shafted in the process. The people getting the iPhone 7s are effectively second class citizens of iOS. Its the reason why they could sell that phone for $300 and I still wounldnt buy it on principle

22. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Okay, that's you and maybe a few others. I don't look at it like that. I'll evaluate the price/value ratio and see what I want to do. Since the SE and 6/6+ was introduced, apple made it clear they would stratify their product line. Anybody that's ever bought a car knows about this concept. If I like what they are doing I'll buy a new iphone, else I'll evaluate my options.

No more complicated than that.