iPhone 8 dim screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by one more, Sep 30, 2017.

1. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

For those interested, I have just checked the screens of iPhone 7 and 8 side by side with the same settings (True Tone off, both set to auto-brightness in Accessibility). The screen of iPhone 8 appears noticeably dimmer (less bright) compared to the screen of iPhone 7.

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

mine was just the opposite from 7 to the 8+. :apple:

3. one more thread starter macrumors 6502a

one more

8+ has a bigger battery, so you would need to compare the “equals” - 7 & 8 or 7+ & 8+.

4. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

The lower brightness on the iPhone 8 Plus vs. 7 Plus was confirmed in the PhoneArena review a couple days ago.

No surprise, in my opinion. I mentioned in another thread this is likely due to aggressive power management on the iPhone 8. It's a slower phone and the display is dimmer. I doubt it's a bug given Apple's level of quality control.

In all likelihood, aggressive power management on the iPhone 8 is to blame. It has a smaller battery and more power hungry features like True Tone and first-gen gigabit LTE baseband. The increased power consumption has to be made up by cutting somewhere else.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

When I lay my 7+ and 8+ down next to each other with all settings equal, the brightness is very near the same.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

My 8+ is tad brighter than my 7+.

Slightly sharper, with deeper black levels and a touch more saturation as well. Though some of this could be True Tone calibrating optimal viewing settings in real time, which makes for a better overall viewing experience I’m finding.

And as always, there can be manufacturing variances from device to device.

7. one more thread starter macrumors 6502a

one more

This is what I found ironic. Apple put the most powerful chip in iPhone 8 (going by benchmarks) and claimed a better screen experience during their iPhone 8/X event, yet the casual day-to-day use appears inferior to their previous offerings. The 8 demo units I saw at Apple Store for comparison all had the True Tone ON, but Auto Brightness OFF, with the brightness levels set all the way up. When I toggled the True Tone OFF and Auto Brightness to ON, the difference with 7 was very obvious. It is a big deal for me, for example, as I use iPhone for navigation while driving and often with sunglasses on, so the screen needs to be bright enough. Just a warning for people considering iPhone 8 to check it with their regular screen settings first.

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That's interesting, because the iPhone 7 I feel has a fairly dim display even with the brightness turned all the way down. So the iPhone 8 is likely tune for efficiency is my assumption.

9. huschpuscheli macrumors regular

this is a real bummer. my old iphone 5 blinds me in total darkness and my new 8 is so dark in comparison.

10. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

My 6s is brighter than my 8+ which kinda shocked me. Still a lovely screen though.

11. Renegade72 Suspended

Renegade72

according to every half competent review I red, iPhone 8+ maximum brightness is basically the same of the previous generation (above 620 nits), thus a very bright screen.
    Maybe you just got a lemon.

12. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

Nah. Reviews show the iPhone 7 Plus has a 40-50 nit advantage over the 8 Plus.

A standard cinema projector is about 48 nits.

Maybe DisplayMate or Anandtech will have more accurate numbers, but as it stands, no one credible has indicated the 8 matches the brightness of the 7.

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_8_plus-review-1662p3.php
    https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Apple-iPhone-8-Plus-Review_id4416
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-iPhone-8-Plus-First-Impressions.250932.0.html

13. Renegade72 Suspended

Renegade72

Gsmarena is there only one tested it on max auto brightness (with manual control you can't go over 550/560 nits).
    620 nits for the iPhone 8 plus versus 680 nits for the iPhone 7 plus. You can say the letter is brighter, but only by a negligible margin (once you go over 600 nits the display is indeed very bright).

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The 6S also has a much bluer, starker tone to it. Where is the iPhone 7 and 8 have a much warmer display.

15. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Yes, you are right there.