iPhone 8 Infrared Face Detection and General Device Design Revealed in HomePod Firmware

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Late last week, Apple released early firmware for its HomePod smart speaker, which won't be launching to the public until December. HomePod will run a version of iOS, and the firmware released by Apple corresponds to iOS 11.0.2.

One iOS developer has dug into the firmware and discovered that it also contains hints of what we can expect for other devices. Most importantly, the firmware includes numerous references to infrared face detection within the BiometricKit framework that is currently home to Touch ID authentication, supporting claims that the iPhone 8 will rely at least in part on facial recognition. Developer Steven Troughton-Smith has also confirmed these discoveries.

Within BiometricKit are new "FaceDetect" methods addressing such circumstances as faces being too close or too far from the camera, the presence of multiple faces, and more.

[​IMG]

Other references point to infrared capture in BiometricKit, pointing toward the rumored infrared sensors on the front of the iPhone being involved in capturing images for authentication, rather than using visible light through a traditional camera.

[​IMG]

Various references point toward the code name for this functionality being "Pearl," while the code name for the iPhone 8 is "D22." The iOS 11.0.2 HomePod firmware also includes a glyph for this D22 device representing an iPhone that looks much like the rumored iPhone 8, featuring a full-front display with a notch cut out at the top for the earpiece and sensors.

[​IMG]

The iPhone 8 is expected to debut around the usual September timeframe, but availability may be delayed somewhat due to production difficulties. Apple has reportedly been trying to incorporate Touch ID fingerprint sensing beneath the device's display, but some rumors have suggested Apple has had difficulty achieving that goal and may instead switch to facial recognition for authentication purposes.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Infrared Face Detection and General Device Design Revealed in HomePod Firmware

2. snebes macrumors 6502a

3. secDJ macrumors member

So, it’s confirmed. This is the new iPhone design! Not that exciting :(

4. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Personally, if there is only face detection and no Touch ID on the new phone I plan to hold on to my 7 Plus another year. No interest in swiping my face for Apple Pay.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I wonder how facial detection will work (if at all) in low light situations. I can't see how it would be much use.

6. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

Hope it's not touch id replacement. Only 6 weeks to go. i am very excited about this launch :)

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Low light doesn't matter. It uses infrared...the device emits its own IR light.

8. DarkCole macrumors regular

DarkCole

Well, this is some solid information.

Looks like predictions and rumors were not that far off, as expected.

9. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

It should be passcode based at the very least. I still haven't given up on the notion of Touch ID under the screen, on the power button, or on the back.

10. DarkCole macrumors regular

DarkCole

I use Windows Hello in the dark all the time, works instantly and extremely accurate.

11. applelover1016 macrumors regular

applelover1016

Thank god this design is finally confirmed. Will be willing to give the "Face-ID" a chance, hopefully it's as fast and accurate as Touch-ID is now.

12. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

That infrared doesn't need light, is what some people are saying.

13. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

Well this is it! It’s so exciting to see the first genuine leak and how so many of the previous rumors were correct all along. This is another one for the record books!

14. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

15. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Maybe the cutout won't be that ugly. Like the camera bump, it grows on you.

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I can't believe it's taken this long for solid confirmation of the design. We knew all about the 6 in like the month of May, and we're almost in August at this point.

17. Music Ambulance macrumors newbie

Music Ambulance

The clue's in the Article Headline ;)

18. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

*please have Touch ID, please have Touch ID, please have Touch ID*

19. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

So the cutout on the top is final. Hope Apple make it like this on the white front.

IMG_0117.PNG

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I think it will still be an option. Apple has put a lot in Touch ID thus far to do away with it all at once.

21. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

I'm in the same boat. I'll wait to see if TouchID makes its way back on the next years phone. And see just how well FaceID (or whatever it'll be called) works in real world situations. I'm really skeptical of how silly people will look trying to authenticate facial recognition with a NFC terminal.

22. midkay macrumors member

Wow, what a huge leak. Right out of Apple themselves. All but confirmed. Personally, think that's gonna be a real nice design in terms of percentage of screen coverage. And I have a feeling the fit and finish will be spectacular, or at least I hope so. I'm hyped.

23. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

This could potentially be better than TouchID if implemented right. No problems with wet fingers etc.

24. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

I really like that mock-up with the exception of where the screen rounds. Although I guess the alternative would be square corners, which would probably be worse.

25. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I'm looking forward to this radical redesign!

I think they'll find some way to make the top notch work with the software. Either two rows of info, or maybe they could just put the clock and battery on either side (maybe signal bars too, which is why they were redesigned narrower for iOS 11?) and have some sort of status bar area near the bottom in the rumored virtual home button area? Guess it depends on whether they go for a dock like area at the bottom. But I could see that getting cluttered.

Actually either way might look cluttered. But then again the whole thing is getting cluttered over time. I've long hoped for the ability to hide system icons. My Bluetooth is always on because Apple Watch, AirPods and car audio. Also I always have an alarm set each day, and I don't need to know that I'm still on T-Mobile all the time!