iPhone 8(+) Iphone 8, Is it Worth It in 2019? (Non Plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigBen2493, Apr 12, 2019.

1. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

You may see value in buying used, but brand new, maybe not. I took a used 8 last year and this will be my device for a long time to come. Plenty fast, not missing anything just yet. Has a long way to go before becoming obsolete.

Personally, my next device is going to be when Apple brings 5G modems, and when 5G is available in my country. Till then, the 8 will suffice.

2. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

3. Kram Sacul macrumors 6502

Kram Sacul

4. walkthruwalls macrumors member

walkthruwalls

Depends on the price. But you're better off grabbing an XR instead.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Your thread title says is ‘it worth it’? Ok, so what would make the iPhone 8 worth it to you? What do you like about the iPhone 8? You kind of have to give the readers in here a little bit more information as to why you would consider the iPhone 8 to begin with and what phone you’re actually coming from.

6. Lyrca macrumors regular

Lyrca

Definitely depends on the price. If you can get a good bargain it's still a great device and for what it's worth if you are looking for a good camera the pictures still look great in 2019.

Although if you are willing to stretch your budget a little I think the XR might be better suited.

7. spooklog macrumors regular

spooklog

If you're considering buying an 8, check the prices between the 8 and competing phones such as the XR and the XS, and decide from there. If you already have an 8, remember that the internals of the 8 are the same as the iPhone X.

I have an XS Max and an iPhone 8+ and I love them both. I consider the 8+ to be my primary phone and the XS Max to be my backup phone. They each offer a slightly different user experience but frankly, I'd be hard pressed to say that one is significantly better than the other.

The 8+ is exceptionally robust. In a purely physical sense it should survive constant use, and then some. Performance-wise, it is excellent in all respects and should be a relevant device for years to come.

8. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Why is a newer device your backup device?

9. Harthag macrumors 6502a

Buying the 8 new = no way.
    Buying the 8 from Apple clearance / refurb store = yes.
    Buying the 8 from a site like Swappa = yes.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Depends on price.

I got a 128 iPhone 6s two years ago for very little up front. Anything newer was many hundreds of dollars more. I’d say it was worth it. Would do that again with an 8 now.

11. BigBen2493 thread starter macrumors regular

Iphone SE
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2019 ---
    Sorry about that, Ok I have an SE, Im looking for a phone that can be used one handed so debating between the XS and the non plus 8
    I like the no notch display from the 8 but wondering how long its gonna last and be fast
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2019 ---
    Its so big though

12. cuzo macrumors 6502a

If you like the LCD over amoled and prefer touch Id I'd say get it.

Solid phone that's pretty cheap now on swappa.

Some people still love the home button and smaller size, easy to fly around the phone to get things done. I have a note 9 and it's okay. I'm testing a iPhone x though.

13. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

To clarify - the 8 is still a great phone, which has the same internals as the X. Performance wise there isn't that big of difference between the A11 in the 8 and the A12 in the newest iOS devices, with the biggest advantage of the A12 being the much more powerful Neural Engine, but I think that will only be a big advantage for AR apps in coming years. Otherwise I suspect thje 8 will be a good performer for years to come (at least 3-4 years, if not more). The camera in the 8 is still very good, but you are missing some of the features of the newer phones such as portrait mode.

Also not sure where you live but compared to XR and XS there are some really good deals on the 8 - I picked up mine last fall for $120 CAD less than Apple's standard price. I was considering the XR but found it a bit too big and the 8 meant sticking with a familiar form factor that I like...

14. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

This isn’t true. The 8 only has 2gb of ram and is not the same as the X. You have it confused with the 8+.

15. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Ok fair, I meant the 8 has the same processor, as well as cellular modem etc. True the X & 8 Plus have 3 GB of ram while the 8 has 2 GB of ram, but I suspect there isn't any practical difference in performance since the 8 has a lower resolution screen and a single lens camera compared to the X & 8 Plus.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The iPhone 8 on iOS 12 is plenty sufficient and fast. As for future updates, I suspect the iPhone 8 will have at least three more years of iOS updates, if you’re not someone that upgrades that often, the iPhone 8 is a perfectly good device to use, it’s still shares many of the same features as the XS with wireless charging, true tone, stereo speakers, 3D Touch. What you’re really choosing between the XS and the 8, is [face ID, the dual camera and OLED panel].

17. spooklog macrumors regular

spooklog

I've had the 8+ for a long time and have grown used to it. When I first got the XS Max I was totally befuddled by the gesture-based interface, and I relegated the Max to backup status. But now I'm used to the gesture interface and I basically love the Max. I do plan on swapping the SIM cards and will make the newer phone my primary phone.

18. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

You are in possession of two great devices. :)

19. J_Melodic macrumors newbie

J_Melodic

That’s what she said. ‍♂️