Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vask

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
London
Just to add: this is UK bought phone, if that makes a difference. However, due to the fact that it happens during facetime calls as well, it is probably not a cellular modem problem.

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

vask

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
London
Good to know there is at least 3 of us now (another user in the UK release thread). More likely to be a software issue I guess

Reactions: bryanbuff

JoaoF

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
I was trying to perfom a hard reboot to see if it would solve this problem
But I can't seem to find the propper button combo

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
I was trying to perfom a hard reboot to see if it would solve this problem
But I can't seem to find the propper button combo
Hold power and volume down. If that ain’t it it’s power and volume up. I forget which one it is.

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
Just to add: this is UK bought phone, if that makes a difference. However, due to the fact that it happens during facetime calls as well, it is probably not a cellular modem problem.

I've noticed this the past few months on my 7 plus but not on my 8 just yet.

JoaoF

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
Hold power and volume down. If that ain’t it it’s power and volume up. I forget which one it is.
Doesn't work. It summons the SOS screen.
In another post someone said:
  1. Press and release Volume Up
  2. Press and release Volume Down
  3. Hold Power until Apple logo appears
But I can't make it work

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
But I can't make it work
Hmm your right. That’s what it use to be. Just tried it myself and accidentally called 911

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
No issues with sound quality on mine. Most of the time static or odd noises are going to be the fault of your carrier or the connection on the phones.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
But I can't make it work

Press and hold sleep / wake and home button.

vask

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
London
Interesting...keep testing it out and worst case, do a swap at the store and hopefully that will solve your concerns...
Another interesting thing is that on speakerphone there is no crackling from the earpiece so the speaker itself doesnt seem to be physically defective. I wonder if display models are setup for calls, would want to test before swapping as other aspects of the phone are without defects.

Reactions: blairian89

Ngamtns706

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
Experiencing here. Those hard resets combos don’t work btw. But I did a wipe and restore from icloud. Very annoying sound in earpiece.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Can u video record it or something?

ctbaz

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
After doing a hard reset the static went away

To do a hard reset click volume up then down, then hold the power button until it resets

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Ngamtns706

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
I restored it after a clean wipe, played some loud music on it to “break it in” and made a couple of calls and haven’t heard it anymore but haven’t done really any hd voice calls. I think it did solve it but small sample size.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
That's not the solution
It sort of is! You just need to hold the power button, on the top right side of the iPhone 8 plus, but for a few seconds!

I had a lot of static as I called Vodafone yesterday, arranging the porting of my number, but in another call to my wife it was crystal clear. I put the initial crackling down o the cheap headsets they use in the Mumbai call-centres!

Reactions: mirz2000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.