iPhone 8 Plus is still king

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mashinhead, Sep 16, 2017.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68030

It still seems that if you want a large screen the 8 plus is still king. The 5.8" claim is a bit deceptive to me. It's really a little taller iPhone 7/8. And the top and bottom of the screen, due to UI elements are not useable space. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 11.19.46 AM.png

2. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

Went with the iPhone 8 plus because of this reason. I rather have a wider screen then a taller skinner one.

3. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I'd need to see it in person. In actual use, the S8+ display is narrower than I would prefer when viewing in landscape orientation. It's great otherwise, but I do feel it when looking at video.

4. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502

Yep, absolutely the 8+ has a larger usable screen size. I don't consider the ears on the iPhone Notch as usable space.

5. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

If you do the math, you'll sadly realize that you have more screen on a plus than the x. The cutout on the x and the weird vertical line on the bottom of the screen eliminates the ability to see more of your content in an app... and don't forget that the screen is narrower than the plus. I still want the x though, lol. I used to have a 7 plus, but I couldn't fit it in my pocket. I was paranoid all day long it would fall out and break, so I had to put it in my school bag. It was embarrassing. I gave it to my sibling and bought the regular 7. So, I'm excited for a plus screen but in a small body.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This is a good point you bring up. I remember the first time I held the s8; I did not really care for how narrow it was.

7. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I went with the 8+ for this exact reason. Many of the same benefits and upgrades of the X, while keeping Touch ID and the wider screen with more usable space. I'm already used to the form factor, so no worries there.

I'd love the rear camera from the X, and an OLED display would be nice, but I can live without those two things for now at least.

8. frou macrumors 6502

frou

9. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

What are the actual dimensions, not pixels, resolution etc but mm size of the X screen?

Without the notch as it's not really used as such.

What is the size of the screen on the X without they notch? It stated as 5.8" but without?

Thanks

10. the future macrumors 65816

You would need to subtract a bit of space from the top of the 8+ as well because the status bar isn't "usable space" either ...

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Glad I got the 8+. Maybe next year they will go OLED.

12. profets macrumors 601

Makes sense. I figured this first iPhone X was really intended as a long term replacement for the 4.7" iPhone, especially with the consistent rumours about a larger or Plus version of it coming in 2018. That one will feel like a beast of a phone!

13. rkuo macrumors 6502a

I like the screen size of the plus but the huge bezels made me switch back to the base model. The IPhone X gets most of the screen space back but stays very close to the size of the base iPhone. It’s not about total screen space for me ... it’s about the practical trade off between the two. And the iPhone X does it best.

14. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

Exactly. People are saying that it's the same form factor in a smaller body. Not true. There's going to be black bars under some apps because developers have to start changing their apps for the new ugly aspect ratio. This phone is horrendous aesthetically, and that's the only reason i won't buy it

15. Kahsheh macrumors regular

16. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

Exactly, I'm from the future and that's what happens. :)
    The + is definitely the one to get if you can't hold off for now.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You would be surprised how fast developers update for the aspect ratios. Apple has 4”, 4.7”, 5.5”, and now 5.8” all with different aspect ratios. That’s not a big deal.

18. iCP3 macrumors newbie

If that image is to scale, then it appears that the X has an aspect ratio similar to that of some movies.

19. profets macrumors 601

99% sure the X has a 2:1 aspect ratio. I think most movies/films that are released are done with 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 aspect ratios?

20. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

It's precisely 19.5:9

There's absolutely no way movies won't be shown in their original AR.

I guess people just have to realize that the iPhone X has a slightly smaller screen than the 8+. I don't think Apple is advertising it as "the biggest" screen of the 3 though. Major selling points are the OLED display, face ID, edge-to-edge, etc, not the screen size per se. What I do find pretty cool is that you get almost the same size as a + on a noticeably smaller phone.

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If the OP picture is accurate, it doesn't look like there is hardly any usable / viewable screen viewing difference between the iPhone 8+ and the iPhone X (as far as I can tell). I rather give the new tech a try and see how I like the new screen, FaceID and there like.

22. hank moody macrumors 6502a

hank moody

23. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

All iPhones have unusable screen space. It isn't unique to the X.

24. MacCheeseLai macrumors member

MacCheeseLai

Buying the + only because my eyesight isn't that great and I'm coming from another +.

25. booksbooks macrumors 6502a

Agreed with a previous poster: the original image from the OP is not entirely accurate. The status bar on the top will take up screen space on the iPhone 8 Plus, so in fact there is effectively less screen space available on the top of the screen on the iPhone 8 Plus compared to the X. And Apps actually do bleed into the background of the status bar on the X so that is technically usable space as well.

When you look at the bottom of the iPhone X screen and the iPhone 8 Plus screen, you can also see the X beats out the iPhone 8 Plus in usable screen space. That bottom part on the iPhone X is technically usable screen space (e.g., home bar; dock animates from the very bottom of the X screen; video can bleed into that space; etc. etc.).
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    Now for the narrowness of the iPhone X screen vs the 8 Plus. It like this because it will be easier to handle in the hand/one hand: the X is quite a bit less in width than the 8 Plus. Remember, the PPI is higher on the iPhone X vs the 8 Plus, so the X will basically fit all of the same amount of content on the screen, it will just be slightly smaller.