Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I don't where "here" is for you, but what you describe is what the US was like 10 years ago. The options today make buying outright up front the least sensible thing to do.

Lemme paraphrase your "advice" to make sure my pea sized foreigner brain is understanding correctly:

"Ah dunno where you come from but this is how we do things in 'Murcia!"

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
That is not my experience. I really don't know how you can go back to Windows but more power to you.

I never left windows, even with all the so called issues that most apple users say that windows have. Have some Windows versions been a bust, sure they have, but in the end, the OS really never cause me any issues over the years, all the way back from Windows 3.1.

With that said, I have no problem if you like your Apple computer, more power to you. I will never try to talk you out of using it or try to talk you into buying a Windows 10 system. If what you use meets your needs, it doesn't matter what others say. I was only trying give my opinion based on my experiences as a PC user.

Have a great DAY!

Reactions: Ladybug

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Not so much as a diversion but more a case of the conditions that iPhones are manufactured in. When you take in to account how much it costs to produce an iPhone and what the consumer pays it puts things in to perspective.

Well, look at the bright side. Foxconn is rapidly replacing workers with robotics. We can all take solace in the knowledge that they no longer have jobs. :apple:

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, the 1,1 was a pretty good machine. The aluminum case was too thin, so it bent too easily. The hard drive was more of a pain to change than it should have been. And I did more MLB swaps on those than should have been necessary, there were definitely some issues there, I tended to pretty strongly recommend AppleCare for them.

But the keyboard was great, MUCH better than current MBPs. The MagSafe connector was a great idea for users, and Apple probably made a very smart move abandoning it, they'll get a lot of repairs and replacements from smashed machines because they dropped that connector.

And don't get me started on the battery. It was so convenient to do a quick battery swap, you could avoid charging for weeks if you had enough batteries. Plug in the computer? Why bother? Just put a couple spares on an external charger, and swap batteries.
My main complaint with the (1,1) was that the Core Duo CPU ran pretty hot. I think this affected the life of the batteries, but as you say, they were easy to swap if need be.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Oh man, someone needs to be dragged back to primary school! If you think you paying less just because you paying small amounts monthly you are clearly diluted.
People that don't do the math are deluded. It isn't even close.
[doublepost=1494941316][/doublepost]
Stop spreading this lie. The plans are the same price. Look it up. The plans are only more expensive if you bought a subsidized phone under a 2 year contract which doesn't exist anymore.

The part of your argument that would actually make you less wrong if it was true is 100% false.
What lie? AT&T charges $40/mon for each device that is an unlocked phone. They charge $15/mon instead for devices that are on installment plans. It's called: INCENTIVE.

Fact.
[doublepost=1494941392][/doublepost]
I pay $45/month as a pre-paid customer with unlimited talk/text and 6 GB of data. $40 with auto pay....so you're paying even more than that? Then my point is even more valid about how much better it is to pay full retail.
I didn't say I was paying more than that, in fact I pay less when I divide my plan by the number of devices on it. I said I doubt that you are paying so little. But now I understand, you're on one of those limited pre-pay plans that include zero features. Got it. Also not comparable.
[doublepost=1494941646][/doublepost]
Why do you care if I choose to keep my phone for 3-4 years? (Because it debunks the whole premise of your argument.)
Even if you plan to keep it for 3-4 years, you're not spending LESS by paying for it in one day. FACTUALLY, you would paid less if spread over 20 or 24 months, because at the end of that you have paid the EXACT same amount for the device, minus $25/mon in service fees that AT&T takes off for devices on installment plans.

There is no way to argue that paying up front = saving money. None.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
What lie? AT&T charges $40/mon for each device that is an unlocked phone. They charge $15/mon instead for devices that are on installment plans. It's called: INCENTIVE.

Fact.

Actually, if you were on AT&T's mobile value shared plan, each phone was $40 a month w/ a $25 discount per phone that was out of contract or using AT&T Next plan. I know, I had 2 unlocked phones on it. About a year or so ago, AT&T re-introduced an Unlimited Family plan, $40 per phone w/out no discount. I thought about moving to it, but the base cost for the plan was so HIGH, I would have been paying $60 more a month (with the number of phones I have). So, I choose, at the time to stay with my mobile value shared plan and pay the $15 when I went over (which didn't happen all that often). Then they releases a new set of Unlimited Plans, which in the end still cost me more money a month ($20), but gave me unlimited on all my phones and tethering. Both those are still $40 per phone with no discount. So, I get why you think he is lying, but there is a plan in which if you bring an unlocked phone or bought one via the NEXT plan, you got the discount.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009

Fact.

No, you're wrong. Very wrong.

Again, and for the last time, you are comparing 2 year contract price to unlocked/payment plan price. There is no difference in price between an unlocked phone and a payment plan phone. Not with AT&T. Not anywhere.

I'm sorry you've been overpaying out of complete ignorance.

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
be wary that one doesn't need a working prototype to be awarded a patent. For all we know, Apple could have just submitted drawings and is still working on getting a working unit.
If the phone that is to be announced in September is suppose to have this technology, I can almost guarantee that they have a working model and probably have had one for a while. You do know, that they are probably working on the 2018 and 2019 models as well?

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
If the phone that is to be announced in September is suppose to have this technology, I can almost guarantee that they have a working model and probably have had one for a while. You do know, that they are probably working on the 2018 and 2019 models as well?

Of course. it will most likely be in next year's model (assuming they finally figured out how to integrate touchid).

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
No, you're wrong. Very wrong.

Again, and for the last time, you are comparing 2 year contract price to unlocked/payment plan price. There is no difference in price between an unlocked phone and a payment plan phone. Not with AT&T. Not anywhere.

I'm sorry you've been overpaying out of complete ignorance.
False. No other way to put it. You're wrong.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
False. No other way to put it. You're wrong.

Prove it, dude.

Here is ATT's website and a picture. I would show you a shopping cart but you can't sign up for non unlimited plans online through the website anymore. https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

And there is also a picture of my shopping cart with a new Verizon plan and 2 phones paid in full (as can be seen by the "due today" amount) showing my line access fee of $20 which is the same price as the payment plan option, which I have also attached a screenshot of.

I can do this all day, although I don't expect a reply from you at this point.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37 KB · Views: 63
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    40.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Seriously considering the SE, but was hoping to see an update.

And I don't know if I could go back to such a small screen! But the "pocketability" of the SE cannot be beat!

If you value "pocketability", I vigorously recommend the SE. I also have a superstitious belief that the SE and 5 series phones are more rugged than the newer/larger phones. I know so many people who have never used a case with their 5's and SE's, drop them all the time, and have never broken anything.

It's easier to type on the larger phone. There is that. But the smaller size is important to me.

As for an upgraded SE: I really don't think it needs much. A brighter screen would always be nice. Camera stabilizer would be nice (but not likely). But there isn't a whole lot they can do to improve it, and I would prefer to just pay less!

huperniketes

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
(0, 0, 0)
So I can get a Galaxy S8 with facial scanning, OLED, wireless charging, and minimum bezels for $300 dollars less and the s8 is selling in record numbers. And most of these features Samsung has last year...

What exactly is the next iPhone bringing to make it worth that much more?

:apple:

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
I never left windows, even with all the so called issues that most apple users say that windows have. Have some Windows versions been a bust, sure they have, but in the end, the OS really never cause me any issues over the years, all the way back from Windows 3.1.

With that said, I have no problem if you like your Apple computer, more power to you. I will never try to talk you out of using it or try to talk you into buying a Windows 10 system. If what you use meets your needs, it doesn't matter what others say. I was only trying give my opinion based on my experiences as a PC user.

Have a great DAY!

I'm more of a night owl, but thanks anyway ;)

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
People that don't do the math are deluded. It isn't even close.
[doublepost=1494941316][/doublepost]

Fact.
[doublepost=1494941392][/doublepost]
I didn't say I was paying more than that, in fact I pay less when I divide my plan by the number of devices on it. I said I doubt that you are paying so little. But now I understand, you're on one of those limited pre-pay plans that include zero features. Got it. Also not comparable.
[doublepost=1494941646][/doublepost]
Even if you plan to keep it for 3-4 years, you're not spending LESS by paying for it in one day. FACTUALLY, you would paid less if spread over 20 or 24 months, because at the end of that you have paid the EXACT same amount for the device, minus $25/mon in service fees that AT&T takes off for devices on installment plans.

There is no way to argue that paying up front = saving money. None.

Surely you're just arguing for arguments sake now or to save face. Everyone in here, including myself, has exposed your ignorance to the forum readers. Go argue on a Windows store thread. They need someone on their side.

Xi Xone

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
For younger people, it's more than just a mobile device. It's something they use for literally 4+ hours a day, every day. It's their camera, communicator, computer, audio and video consumer, banking & wallet, social life and basically everything else.
you can add to that lantern, gps, etc
still... $999, for that, is way too expensive

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Surely you're just arguing for arguments sake now or to save face. Everyone in here, including myself, has exposed your ignorance to the forum readers. Go argue on a Windows store thread. They need someone on their side.
No it is quite clear that some of you just want buying unlocked to mean something, to have some value, that it doesn't have. I've made the case quite clear a dozen times now. It is provably false that it is possible to save money by buying unlocked, and using a comparably-featured plan. I keep seeing people ignore that, and saying that "obviously" the person who spends $1000 in one day for an iPhone, "obviously" then signs up for the worst pre-paid no-features plan the carrier offers, and that is how they save money, as if that were appreciable.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
No it is quite clear that some of you just want buying unlocked to mean something, to have some value, that it doesn't have. I've made the case quite clear a dozen times now. It is provably false that it is possible to save money by buying unlocked, and using a comparably-featured plan. I keep seeing people ignore that, and saying that "obviously" the person who spends $1000 in one day for an iPhone, "obviously" then signs up for the worst pre-paid no-features plan the carrier offers, and that is how they save money, as if that were appreciable.

Still waiting for you to reply to my last post.

Reactions: atmenterprises
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.