Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's so-called "iPhone 8" with an OLED display and wireless charging is widely expected to cost in the neighborhood of $1,000 in the United States, and Wall Street analysts continue to guess just how much it'll sell for.

iPhone-8-render-ben_geskin.jpg
iPhone 8 concept by Benjamin Geskin

The latest prediction comes from Goldman Sachs analyst Simona Jankowski, who today said she expects the rumored high-end iPhone to be available in 128GB and 256GB storage capacities for $999 and $1,099 respectively. Unlike the iPhone 7, she doesn't believe the iPhone 8 will be available in 32GB.

An excerpt from her research note distributed today:
Relative to the 128GB iPhone 7 Plus, we estimate the new features and higher commodity prices to increase the bill of materials by over $70, which we expect Apple to offset via a $130 price increase, resulting in a starting price of $999 for the 128GB capacity and $1,099 for the 256GB capacity (we don't expect the iPhone 8 to come in 32GB).
Apple's most expensive smartphone to date is the iPhone 7 Plus with 256GB of storage, which retails for $969 in the United States.

UBS analyst Steven Milunovich shared entirely different pricing expectations last month, so it's clear that analysts are simply guesstimating. He thinks the iPhone 8 will come in 64GB and 256GB storage capacities for $850-$900 and $950-$1,000 respectively. His research note didn't mention 32GB or 128GB models.

The takeaway here is that the iPhone 8 will likely be very expensive. The device's exact price tag is likely privy only to Apple at this point, however, so treat any estimate with a healthy dose of skepticism for now.

Goldman Sachs raised its 12-month price target for Apple's stock to $170, up from $164, based on strong iPhone 8 expectations.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Predicted to Cost $999 For 128GB And $1,099 For 256GB, With No 32GB Model

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Definitely concerning, even with the new MacBook Pros and iPad Pros... With every initial upgrade cycle they seem to be finding ways to drastically increase the prices. And since it's the iPhone people will still buy them like hot-cakes even at those prices, not an optimal trend.

Last edited:

applelover1016

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
The reason why Apple can do this today is because no one, except the handful of suckers who buy unlocked at full retail and think they are beating the system, will see it as $1000. It is $49/mon for 12 months, then trade up and continue.
The reason why Apple can do this today is because no one, except the handful of suckers who buy unlocked at full retail and think they are beating the system, will see it as $1000. It is $49/mon for 12 months, then trade up and continue.

Exactly this is what I keep telling people. All carriers will require a down payment and you pay for the device over time, and for people like me, with t-mobile jump on demand we will probably pay like 150 down and can turn around and upgrade to whatever we get in 2018. Not to mention with tax the highest capacity 7 plus already exceeds $1000

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Sod off, Apple.
Totall Agree. With the current exchange rate ($1==£1) that apple seems to use and VAT(20%).... £1400+ for a frigging phone?

Sorry Apple, not going to play ball. Keep the price with VAT under £1000 and you will sell a hell of a lot more phones.
Otherwise once the Fanbois' have been satisfied, it will be tumbleweed in the iPhone sales department.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
Get ready for the backlash from people sick of Apple pandering to only the wealthy and elite. I myself am buying my first PC this weekend, I can't afford Apple anymore (especially for what they offer now: form > function) and am happy to finally downgrade. I feel we're reaching a tipping point with Apple.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For me it depends on what it can do. If it has truly wireless charging, accurate iris scanning, color accurate OLED display, Touch ID in the display and not on the back, a minimal bezel design with a larger screen in a small form factor, and an improved dual-camera system, then $999 would definitely be worth it. I pay monthly using the iPhone Upgrade Program, and my three-line T-Mobile bill is usually around $50/mo ($100/mo promo, $20/mo Verizon switch discount, $10/mo per line under 2GB of data) vs. $138 at Verizon, so I'm now saving more than enough money to justify getting the nicer model.

For most users, $999 will be too high if it's basically an iPhone 7s with a newer design, uses a charging mat, and has Touch ID on the back. But I still might get it since it will only cost around $10/mo more than my 128GB iPhone 7—unless the Touch ID thing is too annoying.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I think i will continue to use my iPhone 5s. I have given a lot of money to Apple over the years (i started with the Mac Classic) but don't see a need to buy this proposed device that costs 1,000 dollars. Over time, Apple has learned how to produce these products for less money. In most normal businesses the manufactures lower the cost to customers as manufacturing costs decrease. while Apple makes a great product, it does not mean that we need to spend this kind of money for it. I am receiving no benefit from that huge new headquarters, I see no reason to fund its construction.

Klaatu63

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
New Jersey
No 32 Gb model? I keep my iPhone a lean machine, I guess that I am not sophisticated (enough) to be an Apple customer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.