iPhone 8 price is confusing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spooner83, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

I'm confused by the iPhone 8 price. Is the $1000 price for a retail value phone, like if you don't have a carrier? What I'm saying is that the price is always lower around $200-$300 if you do a lease plan with your carrier. So, is the price going to stay the same with carriers like it is now and how they basically lease you the phone or let you buy it after a year, or is it going to actually be $1000 when you first get the phone even with a carrier lease plan? Am I making sense?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My recommendation is to wait until we see what the actual price. Much of what we have seen so far is just conjecture and rumors. So much so, I'd not get worked up over it right now.

3. Spooner83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spooner83

That's a good recommendation but what I'm trying to figure out is what these blogs mean by the price. I get it that it's around $1000 but how is that price mapped out?

Like, right now I pay $70 for unlimited service on my phone with my carrier, plus an additional monthly payment of $20-$30 (depending on your storage size) that goes toward the phone. At the end of the year, I can buy the phone outright or trade it in for the new model being released. I'll call this a lease plan.

Whatever the iPhone 8 is going to cost, are carriers going to offer this same lease plan? Or, what are they going to do?

So confused.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Whatever the price that was used to break down into monthly payments for your phone now would simply be a different price and would then result in somewhat higher monthly payments (not counting any promotions that the carriers might be offering at times, as they do sometimes now as well).

5. Spooner83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spooner83

Thanks, that's what I thought. I couldn't figure out why people were freaking out over the $1000 price. I'm like so what, you just pay a little more but it's still the same phone plan that you have now. Lol

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm thinking that it's the whole pay more part of it that many/most wouldn't like so much. (That aside, it's possible carriers might change something in relation to it all too.)

7. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

They are saying it will cost you a few bucks more per month on a lease.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Because a $1000 is a lot of a phone to begin with. Thats how companies get you with monthly payments. "Its only $3-4 dollars more a month." A lot of people finance phones because they could not afford to pay for it up front. I finance because I upgrade yearly and don't have to deal with the hassle of selling. But the idea is to get people to spend more than they normally would.

So, $1000 is a good amount of money for a phone, when you can buy a full MBA for the same exact cost.

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Some people prefer to buy the phone outright over a monthly payment.BThose people would feel the pinch more.

And being on a payment plan (even at 0% interest) just spreads the cost...

10. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

The pricing is confusing and should be because there is no iPhone 8 pricing (yet)

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

The price is going to be $1,489 outright. There's my baseless prediction.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In retrospect, If you purchase the iPhone 7 Plus with a 256 GB storage, it's already over a $1000. Basically, some already spend over a $1000 as it is. The hype behind this iPhone is building tension for some and I wouldn't read to deep into the price points. Although, a price increase wouldn't surprise me, but how drastic, we will find out.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The $1000 is likely for the 64gb model. The 512gb iPhone 8 could be $1400!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How is the pricing confusing when we dont even know the pricing yet? :D

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's the confusing part!

16. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

Everything at this point is just speculation but gives a decent ballpark figure. As with every iPhone, Apple will let us know ahead of release date what the actual cost is.

If you plan for worst case scenario, then you are ready, if the pricing comes in below the speculated numbers then it's a win.
    You just have to remember until Apple actually states pricing, then the numbers we see are just people guessing.

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

I've only used AT&T Next and Apple's Yearly Upgrade Program, neither of which are lease plans. The price you pay monthly is simply the initial price divided by the number of months. The price is never lower by $200-$300. Which company has lease plans when the price drops?

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Any price that you have seen so far is completely made up. Someone is guessing what the price will be, or just making it up. You will have to wait until it is actually released. Until then, check out the price for an iPhone 7+ with 256GB. Take whatever that costs as the minimum, add 15% and take that as the maximum. It will be somewhere in that range. Well, that's me guessing, but unlike all these "analysts" I'll admit that I'm guessing.

19. Relentless Power, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree. IF there are three model iPhones this year, the OLED model would be the highest priced for obvious reasons. I think once someone makes the iPhone purchase, they also are not factoring in additional accessories (Cases, Chargers, screen protectors) and Apple Care is something else To consider for cost related. In the end, it adds up very fast.

20. bufffilm, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

With the latest rumors out, this thing is going to sell thru the roof.

Hope you've been saving your pennies for a while...it will cost.

I wonder how many ip7/+ owners will upgrade...these yearly upgraders have must have $$$ to spend. Oh well.

21. Geert76 macrumors 65816

Funny how people who are on a 24 months payment plan, sound like $1000 is actually just $10.

Smart move by Apple, those 24 months plan...hardly any price limits for Apple, ''cause its just a few bucks more per month than last year...'

22. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

That's called nickle and dimming.

23. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Nickel and diming. :)

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And that's usually the mentality. The iPhone raises in price, then it's a few more dollars added on to what someone would pay on a monthly installed payment plan on the iPhone.

To me, I think it's crazy now that phones are like loans. Monthly installed plans to pay off your phone over the course of two years. I understand carriers have changed financing and it seems more affordable, but it takes away from the ownership of the phone. Unless you're somebody that upgrades every single year, then I guess it wouldn't really matter. (Which I upgrade annually.)

What's nice about owning the phone, as you can do so as you please with it.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

You still own the phone, you just have a loan basically for the amount of the cost of the phone that you are paying off monthly (or can pay off fully at any time).

The trickier part is that carriers have started offering deals where they will subsidize part of the cost by giving you a monthly credit over the term of the loan, so to get all of that subsidized part you would want to stay with the carrier for that whole time period--basically just a different way of doing contracts in a sense with a subsidized phone, just as carriers have been doing all along before.