iPhone 8 Shell Render Features Vertical Dual-Lens Camera, iPhone 5-Style Body

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Multiple design renders of Apple's much-rumored 5.8-inch OLED iPhone have surfaced over the course of the last two weeks, giving us our first look at what the device might look like.

Apple is testing multiple prototypes so we have seen several designs, but two of them have focused on a device with an aluminum frame, a vertical dual-lens camera, and a mysterious hole on the back below the Apple logo.

Now a third render has popped up featuring the same general design, but this time, it's a render of a full rear casing, which provides a clearer look at what the "iPhone 8" might look like at launch, should this be the design Apple chooses to use.

[​IMG]

Created by Instagram user bro.king, the renderings are directly based on the previously leaked design schematics.

The rendered shell is made from silver aluminum, with a squared design that's highly reminiscent of the iPhone 5 family rather than the smoother curves of more recent iPhone models. Size details are not included, but the design schematics it's likely based on suggested the device measures in at 149.5mm tall by 72.5mm wide, which is slightly larger than the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 at 138.3mm by 67.1mm.

[​IMG]

In line with multiple rumors, it features a vertical dual-lens camera which Apple is said to be implementing to introduce better picture quality and perhaps augmented reality functionality, and most notably, there's a circular cutout on the back.

Rumors have suggested that this is for a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and this is perhaps the prototype Apple will use if it can't reliably integrate Touch ID under the display of the iPhone 8, but there's also the possibility that the cutout is for an inductive wireless charging module.

[​IMG]

Apple is rumored to be implementing wireless charging in the iPhone 8, and the latest information on the matter has suggested Apple will use an inductive charging solution rather than long-range wireless charging technology, which is not yet reliable enough.

As mentioned above, Apple is allegedly testing up to 10 OLED iPhone prototypes, so this isn't necessarily the finished product that we're going to see in September. We have also seen a design prototype featuring a device with a glass body, a 4mm bezel and an edge-to-edge display, along with no visible Touch ID sensor.

We're getting closer to the point when Apple will need to start finalizing a design, so we may soon see part leaks that give us a better idea of the direction the company decided to go in.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Shell Render Features Vertical Dual-Lens Camera, iPhone 5-Style Body

2. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

And there's that fingerprint sensor hole on the back.

3. Larry-K macrumors 68000

"Mysterious Hole"?, never a fan of those.

4. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I just don't get the position of the finger print reader in the exact middle of the device. It just looks so odd.

5. Uni Grad, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

Uni Grad macrumors 6502a

Uni Grad

6. xalea macrumors member

xalea

It's obviously a fingerprint sensor, not a conductive charging location or anything else. And it obviously will make it into the final version. Awful.

7. lostczech macrumors newbie

I'm still betting the "mysterious hole" is for wireless charging

8. macduke, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

macduke macrumors 604

macduke

9. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

I wonder, sometimes, how Apple could be so stupid as to think a rear-body fingerprint scanner is a good idea.

Then I remember this is the same company that designed the original iMac mouse.

10. coolfactor macrumors 68040

That would be one sturdy phone.

#positivecomment

11. DhobiWanKenobi macrumors member

DhobiWanKenobi

Love the design in general. But not the possible Touch ID on the rear.

12. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Eh? Maybe because when you're holding your phone normally it's exactly where your index finger is resting?! Or maybe you like the Samsung Galaxy S8 variant more where have to cripple your hand to reach the sensor.
    If they can't get the sensor beneath the display that place in the lower middle of the back is the only acceptable one left.

13. PhillyOM1 macrumors newbie

Can they put the vertical camera in the top middle it looks horrible like that prototype.
    Touch ID belongs in the front.

14. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

If they are going to put anything on the back they should have utilized the apple logo cutout. How cool would that be if the apple was a charger/touchid? Almost as cool as if it lit up ;)

15. mi7chy macrumors 68030

mi7chy

I approve. This looks more like how iPhones used to look up to 5S instead of looking like a Galaxy.

16. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Yup.

Because everyone's hands are exactly the same size and end up in exactly the same place when they hold the phone.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Other than that glory hole on the back, I'm a fan of those 4/5-esque design.

18. kstotlani macrumors 6502

This is it. As far as I remember, parts leaked have mostly been close to the final model. I just don't remember parts leaked in April though.

19. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

you guys realize these are RENDERS on a POSSIBLE schematic? no one knows what the device will look like. keep your panties on, geez!

20. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

In average - exactly for your mentioned reason - it's the best place. Funny how actually answered your own question.

21. xnu macrumors regular

xnu

Get over the hole, its going on the back. At least its not next to the camera.

22. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Yep, just tap that mysterious hole on the rear with your finger and the device will open up for you. :eek::confused:

23. nnn1817 macrumors newbie

These rumors of Touch ID on the back don't make sense not because it's "Un-Apple like to put Touch ID in the back" but because all the rumors up to this point have been talking about an "all glass design" My theory is that this is the 7S & the iPhon 8/Edition will be constrained but have Touch ID in the screen & have the all glass design. I might be wrong but I feel like some key piece of information is missing or hasn't leaked yet that would provide clarity in the rear Touch ID.

24. StephanD88 macrumors newbie

StephanD88

I pretty damn like this design. Loose from the mystery hole.

25. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

Unfortunately, Touch ID will be on the back. Knowing Apple's MO lately, we'll have to wait another year for a true Touch ID in the front screen.

At least it won't be a 6sss design.