Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpeksETC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Is there anyway to setup the iPhone alarm clock to play an album or a playlist, like in the other ipods?

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
Not yet.

The best workaround is to import whatever song you want into garageband and export a 40 second clip as a ringtone and you can use that to wake up to.

Although a few updates ago I somehow managed to use a installer.app thing that let me use whole songs as ringtones, and thus wake up to... but I don't remember which 3rd party app that was! I think the one where you can email your songs from your iPhone

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I am totally loving the alarm clock in my iPhone. I was about to buy a new alarm clock and then realized I could try the one in the phone. I chose a particularly loud and annoying ringtone and it does the trick of getting me up and out of bed. Plus it has a snooze button!

As for getting it to play music instead, I recommend submitting that as feedback to Apple, as I did. If enough people ask for it, maybe we'll see the feature added in a future update.

It's kinda funny that the iPhone has a sleep timer, allowing you to fall asleep to music but doesn't let you wake up that way. : )

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Just a quick FYI. I brought my iPhone to the Apple Store for service and the technician noticed I had an alarm set. She gave me a heads up that having alarms set tends to drain the battery. I hope this isn't the case - I really like asking my iPhone to wake me up. Has anyone noticed this?

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
As for getting it to play music instead, I recommend submitting that as feedback to Apple, as I did. If enough people ask for it, maybe we'll see the feature added in a future update.

I think the biggest problem here is licensing issues. I guess the record labels make a lot of money selling snippets of songs specifically as ringtones, and wouldn't take too kindly to whole songs being used as such (because that's what the alarm sounds basically are) without additional money paid to them.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Just a quick FYI. I brought my iPhone to the Apple Store for service and the technician noticed I had an alarm set. She gave me a heads up that having alarms set tends to drain the battery. I hope this isn't the case - I really like asking my iPhone to wake me up. Has anyone noticed this?

I have 4 alarms running all week and my phone lasts a very long time. Cant say I noticed a difference.

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007

Charging your iPhone during the night solves this. I have an 4 alarms set.

londondude

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
I have restored my phone to try and get my alarm to work but still it doesnt.:mad:

i have given up on it.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
sleep timer? where is that at?

If you go to Clock and choose Timer, you can set how long you want the time to run, say 30 minutes, and then choose what will happen. Where it says "When Timer Ends" you can set it to either play a ringtone or at the top of the list of selections, you can choose "Sleep iPod". Then you can go select some music to play and it will shut itself off when the timer ends.

1988mnkunda

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
MY alram clock has a weird problem

my alarm doesnt ring if i the phone is switched off? can anybody pls tell me how to fix that problem.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
my alarm doesnt ring if i the phone is switched off? can anybody pls tell me how to fix that problem.

Well, think about it this way - what happens when you turn an alarm clock off? Does it still wake you up? No. It's not a problem, you are turning the power off, of course the alarm function of the iPhone is not going to go off.

As for the alarms draining the battery (any more than when normally in standby) is a silly notion. That's like saying the clock drains the battery because it continually keeps the time. Don't leave any applications running when you lock it for the night; always go back to the home screen first. My phone usually runs two full days on one charge which includes about 7 hours of usage, but one night after a charge I must have left the stock app open and the battery was at 20% when I got up in the morning.

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Yes, I noticed the battery usage. It happened to me twice. The phone just reached 20% warning before I went to sleep. After I woke up by myself (about 8 hrs later), the batter is completely drained and needs to charge for 5 minutes before I can turn it on again.

I have Push service off but auto check emails once every hour.

Jickel

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Well, think about it this way - what happens when you turn an alarm clock off? Does it still wake you up? No. It's not a problem, you are turning the power off, of course the alarm function of the iPhone is not going to go off.

Don't be so sure.

Nearly all the phones I've had (especially all the Sony Ericsson ones, even the basic ones) in the last 6 years (when I first got a mobile phone) have had this feature. They turn on to power at the set alarm. I was dumbstruck when I found a phone that didn't have this feature, and I think it's a big negative that the iPhone doesn't have this basic feature either.

It DOES seem to be less common on smartphones though.

luckygyrl83

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Fullerton, CA
Yes, I noticed the battery usage. It happened to me twice. The phone just reached 20% warning before I went to sleep. After I woke up by myself (about 8 hrs later), the batter is completely drained and needs to charge for 5 minutes before I can turn it on again.

And u don't think the auto check is what's sucking up what's left ofnthe battery life?

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Nearly all the phones I've had (especially all the Sony Ericsson ones, even the basic ones) in the last 6 years (when I first got a mobile phone)

On Nokia's it's standard too - the normal clock alarm will go off even when the phone is completely powered off. Even on smartphones. The only exception is calendar reminders, they don't work when the phone is off.

I was also quite surprised that the iPhone doesn't do this.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008

God bless my battery life, but when it tells me that 20% of the battery remains, it usually means I have about 10 minutes regardless if it is surfing or sleeping. You'd figure that it would last about 20% of how long it has lasted up to that point (for me, usually between the 5 and 6 hour mark), but not so for me. Not very accurate, but hey, I get long battery life, I am not complaining.

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis

Switched off? Do you mean you just turn off the screen, or do you hold the power button down until you get the "Slide to power off" prompt, and power it off?

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
They're talking about when it's off off, not just asleep.

Doesn't bother me, because I don't turn my cell off unless I absolutely have to, which is only a couple of times a year. Even when flying, I would just turn off the phone portion on my old Treo, and now with the iPhone, would use airplane mode.

bcuzican

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2005
iphone alarm music

Is it possible to make an app to allow you to play music from your playlist as an alarm. Playing 40 sec of music -once might not wake me up.
I would by it.
better yet Steve might say oops and make it an update

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
Not yet.

The best workaround is to import whatever song you want into garageband and export a 40 second clip as a ringtone and you can use that to wake up to.

Although a few updates ago I somehow managed to use a installer.app thing that let me use whole songs as ringtones, and thus wake up to... but I don't remember which 3rd party app that was! I think the one where you can email your songs from your iPhone

how do you import ringtones without paying for them or do you still have to pay $ 0.99 for ringtone conversion?

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
Is it possible to make an app to allow you to play music from your playlist as an alarm. Playing 40 sec of music -once might not wake me up.
I would by it.
better yet Steve might say oops and make it an update

alarm continualy plays the set "song" whether it be buit in or custm made ringtones.

how do you import ringtones without paying for them or do you still have to pay $ 0.99 for ringtone conversion?

its really simple

1)you have to set known file extensions to be visible
itunesstep1iq3.jpg

2)Go into itunes Click "Edit" "Preferences" and click The "Ringtones" Box
itunesstep7nc8.jpg

3)songs have to be aquired some where other then itunes OR IT WONT WORK!!!

4)import desired song(s) into Itunes
itunesstep9nu9.jpg

5)right click song click "get info" click options tab and set the start and stop time to a 30 second frame EXAMPLE 2:32 - 3:02
MAKE SURE both boxes are clicked
itunesstep3sc9.jpg

6)once you have selected a 30 second segmant hit ok and right click the song again and click "Create to ACC Version"
itunesstep4zg7.jpg

7)once it is created copy it to the Desktop rename file from "Song Name.m4a" to "Song Name.m4r"
itunesstep5ma1.jpg

8) go back to itunes delete the ACC version of the song and click "Move To Recycle Bin"
itunesstep6mj1.jpg

9)import the "M4r" file back into iTunes it should show up in the ringtones part of itunes
itunesstep8dl6.jpg

10)sync or manualy drag the ringtone to your iphone and enjoy

***NOTE*** IF THERE IS ANY SONG INFORMATION IN THE SONG IFO DELETE IT OR MULTIPLE RINGTONES SHOW UP IN YOUR RINGTONES ON YOUR IPHONE WHICH GHAS TO BE DONE BEFORE RENAMING THE FILE FROM M4A TO M4R****

Ademius

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
I think the biggest problem here is licensing issues. I guess the record labels make a lot of money selling snippets of songs specifically as ringtones, and wouldn't take too kindly to whole songs being used as such (because that's what the alarm sounds basically are) without additional money paid to them.

And yet all the real (corps that make more than 1 phone per year) manufacturers lets you set any full song as an alarm. Hell, even my crappy old SonyEricsson K300i had this feature.

I suspect it's apple beeing too sensitive due to their relations with the labels through iTunes, since Apple even charges you for using songs as ringtones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.