iPhone and Mac having issues with today's Macrumors site update

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by WilliamG, Sep 22, 2014.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

So something got updated at Macrumors, so now the desktop version of the site doesn't fit on my 5s (iOS 8). I have to scroll around the front page to read everything. Very annoying.

Also, I'm using an extension (ZoombySite) for Safari on my iMac (latest Yosemite DP), and it used to only be glitchy on the main Macrumors news pages, but now it's resizing the forums, too.

Admins, what happened here?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We are aware it starts zoomed in, but you should be able to pinch zoom out. Can you not?

What is happening with Zoombysite? I can look into it a little, but you might have to contact them to fix it, since we can't really control what extensions do to the site.

arn

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Hey Arn, thanks for the speedy reply. On the iPhone 5s running iOS 8, it just starts really, really zoomed in on the main site. I cannot zoom out (I get the bounce animation like it's reached maximum zoom out - though it's zoomed in significantly).

*edit*

In the last half hour, I've been able to load Macrumors and then zoom out. Not sure why it's starting zoomed in.. I figure you guys are on that.

-----------

For ZoomBySite, Macrumors is the ONLY site I have trouble with. It used to be just the main page/news sections that caused issues, but something today - in the last few hours - broke the forums for me too, so I have to continually zoom back in for every page I open.

FYI, my settings for ZoombySite are simple: Zoom amount: Tiny (5%), and Default Zoom: 120%. I figure it's an easy one for you to recreate.

Thanks!

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We know it's starting zoomed in, but should be zoom-outable now. We're still looking into the zoom-in start point.

By issues, you mean the zoomed in status doesn't "take"?

arn

5. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

I mean... how best to show this...

So, imagine you have your default Safari zoom level, which - is quite small on a 2560x1440 iMac. You can e.g. command+ to zoom in a few levels. ZoomBySite remembers what level you have for each page.

However, for some reason, on Macrumors (and forums, too, now), you load the page. The zoom level is correct initially as the page loads (as ZoombySite has saved it), but after FULLY loading the page, it zooms out by itself to the tiny default text size.

Then I have to manually adjust the zoom amount back in.

Now, until this morning - again - this was not an issue on the forums section of Macrumors, so I kind of just dealt with it on my Mac. However, since it's now affecting the forums as of this morning, it's quite bothersome..

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know if this is related, but when viewing Forum Spy, the top part of the screen is not normal:
    Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 2.26.42 PM.PNG
    Logging out/in and resetting Safari 7.0.6 on OS X 10.9.4 has no effect. (All Extensions disabled)
    Viewing the User CP is also different:
    Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 2.33.20 PM.PNG

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

1. Zoomed in issue on iPhone when browsing Desktop version should be fixed
    2. Spy should be fixed

arn

8. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Thanks Arn. Any updates on my other issue?

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

On my iPad 1, the site is nearly a catastrophic mess. It has a rather wide black border on the right that seems to have fragments of other page renderings in it. The main page (not the forum) has the black border plus a significant bit of white real estate on the right. It can be zoomed in, but what a pain.

(yeah, I know, "iPad 1??? Get with the program!")

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Is this why I've been getting random server errors when I try to go to the forum the past 2 days?

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

What version of iOS?

It renders normally for my on an iPad 1 w iOS 4.x

arn

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It shouldn't be. What's the error?

arn

13. AllergyDoc, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Everything's huge on my Air and can't be scaled down. iOS 8.

Edit: that wasn't entirely accurate. Once inside a thread, it can be pinched a little, so the text is a little smaller.

14. Sydde, Sep 22, 2014

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

5.1.1 (9b206)

15. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I will take a screenshot next time.

ERROR: 5..... I can't remember the rest because I didn't pay much attention. It only affect forums.macrumors.com and I just had to wait a minute or two and I could access the site.

16. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

This is definitely annoying. Using an iPad Air on iOS8 and immediately noticed the web site too zoomed in right when came to the site. I thought someone had changed the settings on my iPad but everything's the same. Can't pinch to zoom back out either.

17. Traverse, Sep 22, 2014

Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm also getting a weird gap at the top of the site today. Mostly in Safari 7.1, but occasionally on iOS 8 as well.

Attached Files:

18. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

This shouldn't be happening. Is it still happening for you? Can you email a screenshot to arn@normalkid.com

This should be fixed. Let me know if not.

arn

19. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Safari Zoom Function On MacRumors

I started having this issue today for the first time. The preset zoom settings on this forum always worked before. Had them set using the +/- tools at the top and all were sized just like I wanted them.

Suddenly today they are all changing every time I change forums. Is anyone else experiencing this?? It's only happening to me on MacRumors. All other sites I visit regularly are still functioning as always with the preset zoom setting.

Any thoughts??

2011 MBP 17" - 8gb RAM

20. Jalu macrumors member

The whole site looks a little too large on an iPad Air, as if too large a font size is 'selected'.

21. anodibu macrumors newbie

Yes I have this issue also, the font is too large. iPad 3 on iOS 7.1.2.

22. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

No improvement today. Site still will not hold resizing.

23. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Something weird is going on with the site again. All browsers. Just started happening in the last half hour... The forum layout has gone wacky!

Screenshot attached..

Attached Files:

24. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have just dropped into the 'Site & Forum Feedback' section to report this precise matter; in my case, the desktop version of the site barely fits (actually it spills over the edges of) my 13" MBA screen……..

Hm.. Thanks for starting a thread - I wasn't even sure quite what terms to use to describe what I noticed had happened.