iPhone/Apple blasted in article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FTWrath, Jun 4, 2011.

1. FTWrath macrumors newbie

http://www.frontsidebus.net/2011/06/04/the-apple-money-pit/
    The article is harsh but has some good points. Too many devices in a short time can hurt user loyalty.

2. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Objectively speaking, I cannot disagree with the author. Besides a newer faster processor I don't see anything that will really be significantly different on this next iphone (unless Apple surprised the hell out of everyone lol). And since the iphone4 will run ios5 I really don't see much to be excited about with the iphone5 (unless apple really does something surprising.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Agreed. Same exact notes app, same exact weather app, same exact everything app on the original iPhone and iPhone 4. I know there are some small differences but nothing drastic.

4. zOdeac macrumors member

I don't know I have a 3GS and really looking forward to the 5. The camera and flash is what i mainly am paying for and praying they come out with one that has more memory. I really don't need to replace my 3GS its just preference to have a better camera.

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I stopped reading when the author made it quite clear that he was clueless when he said "The release of a 4S in a couple months and iPhone 5 later this year could mean one of two things".

4S and 5 are the same phone. It has never been rumored that there will be two more phones this year. Sounds like he skimmed over some rumors, saw the next phone refereed to in two different ways and threw the article together.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The author of this article has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. This is a random site also and I never trust random sites to give me accurate information.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

But it's the shiny.

8. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

He just sounds angry because Apple won't make the iPhone HE wants.

9. FTWrath thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually rumors indicate a 4s release this year and 5 early next.

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

That is ridiculous. There won't be an iPhone 4s

11. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

Wow, that's quite the OPINION piece he's written there :rolleyes:

RafaelT beat me to the two phones later this year point, so I'll address this guy's comments about the display. Regarding the idea of increasing pixel density as "pointless" he says, "So if Apple can’t realistically improve in terms of display, what more can be improved upon?" Then, in the very next paragraph - and after wandering off on Flash vs. HTML5 and 4G tangents - he comes back and answers his own question with this non-sequitur: "A larger device such as the Droid X by Motorola would require an aspect ratio change which would also require a redesign of all Appstore apps. It’s safe to rule this option out." No, a larger screen *may* require a larger device, depending on how much larger they make the screen. In what alternate universe does a larger screen automatically equal an aspect ratio change? Easy: it doesn't, unless your whole point is to set up a straw-man argument in order to highlight the unlikely scenario of changing the aspect ratio... which, btw, is NOT 4:3. It's 3:2.

12. FTWrath thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually if they changed it to a 4.3 inch then yes it would require an aspect ratio change.
    Its just not possible to maintain aspect ratio. Height would change more than width so cant maintain aspect ratio.

13. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

The 4.3 inch is a diagonal measurement, so no it would not require a change.

14. FTWrath thread starter macrumors newbie

Please oh please tell me how a 4.3" iphone will work under 1.5:1 (current ratio) with a resolution to fit.
    If they change the resolution from the current ratio then they cant fit it. Apple ui doesnt scale.

15. 184550 Guest

For second, when I skimmed the link, I thought it said 'shortbus.com/....'. :p

Me thinks the OP and the author of the article are one in the same.

EDIT:

When one clicks on the authors name, it appears he has also written an opinion piece on the BB Playbook.

Guess who started a thread on that article yesterday?

I'd ignore this guy, he's just trying to drum up interest in his opinion pieces.

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing. The is no rumor that two different iPhones coming out this year. Also I hope the author is writing these same articles about Android and their manufacturers.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Done,

I noticed the same thing and saw his other post yesterday and I was about to write the same as you.

18. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

Given a 4.3" (diagonal) screen maintaining the current 3:2 aspect ratio and 960 by 640 resolution (thus allowing the UI to scale), the width by height (in landscape) will be 3.58" by 2.39" with a pixel density of 268 dpi. Whether this counts as "Retina" or not depends on how much further from your face Apple would expect you to hold this phone vs. the current model... was that your point?

19. 62tele macrumors 6502a

That article is sheer garbage! So Apple is criticized if it doesn't improve its hardware more frequently. Oh wait, now this "author" criticizes them when they do.
    How many mindless Fandroid posts do we endure about new devices with faster processors or better cameras than the iPhone?

20. FTWrath thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol and I also started a thread on wallpapers and a few other things.
    While yes, I did find the Playbook article and post about it (in a positive light) I only found the Apple one as it was under 'you might also like' underneath the Playbook one. These forums are for discussion, why not discuss? Be it negatively or positively.

21. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

This author needs to go to shove a cucumber somewhere...

22. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

That's the beauty of the iPhone that the dinosaur 3GS is still relevant a very capable phone that is supported.

23. Brother Esau, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

Brother Esau macrumors 6502

First off, I am a 3GS owner and have been very happy with the device itself since I purchased it. But what I do not like at all is that APPLE is a very greedy and very controlling company! I will say from a computer power users perspective that APPLE is all about control and brain washing its existing clientele and future perspective customers. Perfect example, who else that is a 3GS owner will not attest to the fact that it is quite apparent that APPLE has deliberately thwarted the 3GS performance since iOS 4.1 trying to force peoples hand into upgrading to the iPhone 4.

I might add that after witnessing the past years turn of events with the release of the iPhone 4 then the Verizon iPhone then the White iPhone and now the iPhone 4S what a marketing brain washing scam that is going on right under neath everyone's nose and the masses are lining up like good little sheep even though there are no significant changes made from one model to the next. I mean c'mon people wake up already and use your brain as individual thinkers already!

No iOS 5 for 3GS although not confirmed, it would not surprise me in the least if Apple did that to force 3GS owners into being a good consumer and feeding the machine for their own capitalistic gain.

MAC whats so great about MAC? I don't get it:confused: it looks exactly like KDE Desktop that is completely free (Open Source) unlike APPLE that is a derivative of Open BSD but yet they charge for it how is that? How in the hell has Apple not been sued for this?

Everything to do with APPLE costs you out of the Ying Yang. I mean for Christ Sakes just to be able to download free apps for your iPhone Apple demands a frigging credit card, I mean **** even APPS that you have already purchased APPLE demands a Credit Cards for you to be able to download your Purchased APP updates that you LEGALLY own. Yet APPLE claims to Support Open Source? What a load of Crap that is!

I respect Steve Jobs the man is a legend and one of the first pioneers of computers for the public I actually remember back in the day when the first APPLE Computer came out for the main stream public.

But I mean damn already dude stop milky your customers with all of your Voodoo B.S making these insignificant changes and upgrades appear to be something they are not, its total Bull S**** and brain washing at Tiffany's Prices!

My 2c as a iPhone owner a computer geek and business owner.

The man in the Online Article makes a very accurate assessment of the Vamped up drama surrounding Apple's iPhone and presents very relevant points and what should be concerns for allot of people.

FIRE AWAY KID'S!

THAT'S ANOTHER THING ........ I am sorry but, as a observation from a man that works on computers day in day out the APPLE crowd for the most part is a bunch of self absorbed Snobs that "think" that they are superior to everyone else in the computer world and they are also quite a rude bunch of individuals. From a professional opinion most MAC users are not that good with computers or common sense for that matter! (This does not Apply to those that use MAC that understand computer science and use their brain)

@...iRobby I see you are from Forked River, New Jersey. I am originally from Tinton Falls, N.J (The Red Bank Area) Born and Raised.:)

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The author seemed angry, anti-apple and was splitting hairs to justify his thesis (which I think he failed to do anyway).

25. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Actually you are 100% incorrect. You need to do a little research on the model numbers. Even if they do call this next one the 4S and not the 5, the 2012 iPhone will be the iPhone 6.