IPhone AppleCare or Monthly Insurances?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Huntn, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

AppleCare $99 coverage for breakage, but not stolen, 2 years.
    Sprint Monthly Insurance $11 per month includes repair, but for lost $200 deductible.

Part of me shudders st the thought of paying full price for a new iPhone after losing one.
    What do you think? :)

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I got AC+ with my iPhone 5 in September 2012. Sprint wasn't allowing TEP at the time so I had to wait until coverage was open for the iPhone 5.

Last year or so I've had AC+ and TEP. I went to Apple for my coverage (phone replaced twice) but I paid for TEP just in case the phone was stolen (or lost).

Now, I'm out of AC+ coverage so TEP is my sole option. Depending on what the deductible may be if I ever need to replace the phone I may just take advantage of the OoW price at Apple.

But, now that my iPhone is over two years old I'm not so concerned about Asurion's penchant for using non-Apple parts for repairs/refurbs.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

What does TEP stand for? Is that the $11 a month insurance?

4. NewToMac11 macrumors member

If i were choosing, I would chose apple care just based on fact i can take it to Apple store and be in and out with a new(refurb or what ever we want to call it) if somethings goes wrong. not sure how it would work through sprint.

5. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

I used to do the Carrier Insurance and that covers about everything including lost or stolen but my phone is like my second right hand and always by my side so switched to Apple Care this time. I also did the math and noticed I was paying a whole heck of alot more for carrier insurance ($11 a month) and in those two years it added up especially if it ever had to be replaced. I'm more prone to dropping it than losing it.

6. eyoungren, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Total Equipment Protection. Yes, the $11 a month insurance.

TEP combines ERP (Equipment Replacement Program) and ESRP (Equipment Service and Repair Program). Both of those used to be listed on your bill individually and you used to be able to pay for one or the other or both, which Sprint then labeled TEP. Now, it's just TEP and it includes both and they cannot be separated.

https://protection.sprint.com/tep/en.html?ECID=vanity:protection

Sprint uses Asurion for the coverage.

----------

TEP is like AC+ in the sense that Sprint will repair your device or replace it if you are paying for the insurance. In the first year, under warranty it won't cost you anything. Once you get past the first year your model goes on to a tiered list of smartphones.

Based on what tier your phone is on it determines your deductible if you need service. So, unlike AC+, past the first year you have to pay a deductible for repair or replacement.

Asurion is the provider of this and they are not noted for using quality Apple parts for their refurbs. However, Asurion has been noted to issue upgrades from time to time if they are out of stock. My wife went from a Touch Pro to a Touch Pro 2 because Asurion did not have any more Touch Pros to give. So, unlike Apple, who will always replace your phone with the exact same one, the possibility exists that you could get an upgrade to your iPhone.

TEP, however, unlike AC+ does cover theft and loss.

EDIT: Here are the tiers and devices as of Feb 2014. Right now the iPhone 6 and 6+ would be under first year warranty so you'd pay nothing.

You'll note that the deductible for my iPhone 5 is $200. That's not far off from the OoW price but is what you can expect to pay in your second year of ownership of your device.

Attached Files:

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't believe AC includes coverage for lost or stolen phones?

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, it does not. AC+ is strictly a warranty. They added liquid damage and two incidents of ADH (Accidental Damage and Handling) to the basic Applecare however.

That is what differentiates AC+ from AC.

9. NewToMac11 macrumors member

no it does not. so i guess you have to factor that in.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I assume that if you buy your iPhone directly through your carrier, Sprint in my case, that the basic Apple Care is applied to that phone or is there an additional step to register the phone with Apple?

I got surprised today looking at my projected bill for next month. Along with the $11/phone insurance (TEP), there was also an additional $10 fee per month for a total of $32 a month. Multiply by 24 months = $768. Too much for insurance imo. I need to find out about basic Apple Care, if my phone purchase is covered, verify if breakage is covered by Apple Care Basic and I plan on purchasing Apple Care +. Gonna take my chances with losing it. I've lost 1 phone in the last 15 or so years of cell phone ownership.

There is another company called SquareTrade that offers 24 month of iPhone protection for $99. Is there an advantage over Apple Care? I don't see it.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sprint doesn't make any provision for AC+. That's a warranty extension offered only by Apple, so they would not take payments for it at the time of purchase.

So, if you buy direct from Sprint, you'll need to either purchase AC+ online or go to a store. If you go to a store, you'll need to submit your phone for inspection before Apple will sell you AC+.

Basic Applecare ($79) is no longer offered. The last time Apple offered basic AC was for the iPhone 4s and my understanding was that they were pushing AC+ at that time.

So, AC+ is all you can get. You have 60 days from time of purchase. After 60 days, Apple will not sell you AC+

SquareTrade is an excellent option, but it is insurance. Meaning, you pay for all the repairs, services up front out of your own pocket and then SquareTrade reimburses you. However, SquareTrade, unlike Apple will give you coverage more than 60 days after purchase. They just charge an additional fee for that.

What was the additional $10 charge for? I'm not really current on what Sprint is charging as we've have the same plan (Everything Data 1500 family) since Christmas of 2008 (we've been with Sprint since 1999).

12. corys00 macrumors regular

I just purchased an iPhone 6 through Sprint this past week and when I received it and activated it online, it asked if I want AppleCare+ which I selected. Within 10 minutes I received a welcome email from Apple regarding it. Also, if you call in and activate it instead, the rep will ask if you want TEP or AC+ as well.

Source: me, a Sprint employee.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And th likelihood of you losing your $1000 computer in your pocket is what, again? That has to factor in. What is the actual risk here.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Really? Then that's changed. Thanks for that, I didn't know!

This was after activation though, not during the purchase process?

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I don't usually keep my devices long enough to take advantage of Apple Care. However, I always have device insurance because if anything was to happen it would likely end up being lost or stolen.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Well, you could POSSIBLY be out the full $650 IF lost/stolen without the insurance.
    or
    You could DEFINITELY be out the $264 if NOT lost stolen, and you paid for insurance for 24 months.
    or
    You could DEFINITELY be out $400-$465 if lost/stolen w/insurance during the 2nd year of ownership.

What's worth it to you?

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

See reply #10, I've decided to forgo Sprint's insurance which is too expensive and go with Apple Care instead, taking my chances with losing it.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I think that's a good call, but each to his/her own.

19. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

For me the insurance comes with JUMP!, So it's not such a bad deal.

20. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

Check your homeowners insurance or renters insurance. They often include theft protection, even if the device is stolen outside the home.

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Wow. I need to check that.

Update: I got my iPhones yesterday via UPS. I'm with Sprint. I found that the online activation tool located at Sprint.com does not work, multiple times. If it had of worked, it offered to allow me to purchase AppleCare +. So I ended up having to rely on Sprint's text chat to get my phones activated and they were able to add AC+ to my phones. So far so good.

I have a 6, my wife with a purse opted for a 6+ which is massive as compared to my 6. ;) It's almost like using an iPad mini. I find the 6 to be the perfect size, and don't miss the 5 so far.

22. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Switch to ATT. $6.99/month for full coverage including loss and theft.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And a $200 deductible and a limit of two claims within any consecutive 12 months.

Also, seriously? Switch providers bc the theft insurance is a few bucks cheaper? :rolleyes:

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's your token anti-Sprint comment driveby for this Sprint themed thread. :rolleyes:;)

25. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

No kidding. Something to say but nothing to add.